Balancing PA school and family life..need advice!!

Hey everyone!

I am getting ready to start a PA program in June, but I have some major concerns about it, because I have a 3 month old baby and am so heartbroken/worried that I will be so involved in school that I will basically end up missing the first 2 years of her life!

What I am wondering is what I can expect my life to look like on a daily basis once I start school. I know that I will be in classes from 8-5 each day.. how much do you all study/spend time in labs etc. outside of class. Do you think it is possible to still have a life outside of school and be able to spend time and give attention to children/spouses? If any of you have children, I would so appreciate your help and insight on this matter! Thank you!!

lizabeth-

PM me if you like. I am a married father of 2 beautiful daughters and I can tell you that it can be done. I hope that the responses you get on this thread actually come from people with a spouse and children because if they don't they have no clue what it's like. While my children are a couple years older than yours it's still the same concept. You MUST have an open line of communication with your spouse at ALL times. That is your most important relationship. PA school is known for destroying marriages. Stay close to your spouse. There will be times that you will have to choose between study time and family time. I sacrificed more than 1 grade to make sure I enjoyed my kids. I also missed many important things in their lives because I had an exam the next morning. Your spouse must also be willing to sacrifice their time with you, that's all there is to it. Most of the time you will be able to give enough energy to both sides that you will be 'OK' with life, but some of the sacrifices will be very difficult. Also, you must be willing to accept a 'B' grade on an exam or in a class. Many of my exams would have required 5-10 hrs additional study to get that coveted 'A', but I knew that my responsibilities were much deeper than that grade. And NO, just because you get some B's DOESN'T mean you are less of a PA than anyone in your class. I have worse didactic grades than a some of my classmates but I have stellar reviews by all of my clinical preceptors. Grades do not determine the quality of care that you will provide.

Another suggestion- contact your program and ask them if anyone from the year ahead of you is married and has children. Get their contact info. Call them and chat. They will be able to give you more valuable info than your faculty advisor. It is important that your advisor understand your situation though, so I do agree with you talking to them as well.

I wish you the best. You will find great joy in what you are doing and will find even greater joy with your family. Keep them close, they will be your greatest accomplishment when you are done with this journey.

I'm a single full-time dad to three 12 year olds....only about three more months to go in my didactic year.

Vaston has a important point for everyone going through PA school, but especially for you Lizabeth. You have to get "A"s to get into PA school, but you don't have to get them to stay in. My program requires B's....and I'm happy as long as I keep getting them. Instead of spending hours cramming for a test so I can get an "A" (information that is often brain-dumped right after the test), I strive to understand the medicine behind the lecture so I can effectively practice medicine. This usually gets me a B on the tests, and I get time to make dinner, clean the house, do homework with the kids, go to boy scouts/girl scouts/soccer/v-ball/gymnastics, etc.

All that being said, I do rely heavily upon my previous experienced/education. I was an EMT for a long time and finished a (medical heavy) MPH before I started the PA program.

Good luck, and don't hesitate to PM me if I can help ya. Now I've gotta go make dinner!

Another thing you might consider doing is asking your program if you can defer for a year....that's what I did. My son was a year old when I started PA school and it made a lot of difference. I was OK with putting him in daycare at that point and I got to stay home and enjoy him as a baby. Just a thought.

I have two girls (ages 3 and 5) and a husband. I waited a little while to have more time to see my family before I started a very demanding program. I am happy that I waited, but I also know the challenges will still be there (I do understand the hope to get through school while your child is young). The best thing has been and will always be is my support group...Whether is your friends, daycare/babysitter or family a good support group is essential.

Archived