Packing abscesses

I tend to pack less than half the time, but the majority of abscesses I seem to be seeing are less than 5 cm- and while I was at my old hospital this pilot study came out from our research division about simple cutaneous abscesses and the likely un-necessary need for packing: http://www.emottawa.ca/assets_secure/journal_club/articles/Nov_1_Routine%20Packing%20of%20Wounds%20is%20painful%20and%20probably%20Unnecessary.pdf

When I pack, I put in enough material just to keep the wound open- never pack it to the hilt, as that for sure will cause unnecessary pain without any tangible benefit

changed my ways when MRSA hit big

the old (pre-MRSA) abscess were nasty and typically a huge issue

with MRSA I found that the packing really didn't help, and iodoform actually causes a fair amount of skin injury and pain

so no more packing on small simple I+D - just open em up, probe, let it be....

big, deep or other issues, well then I still pack em

The loop method for I&D of large abscesses was just presented to our PAs last month. We've used penrose drains, and we still have them f/u in 2 days for a recheck, then have the drain removed in 10 days with surgery if it's a large abscess, or in the ED otherwise. The rechecks I've seen have looked fantastic, much better than if it had been packed. Pt's have felt great too. There are some youtube vids demonstrating it. I recommend it.

Otherwise, I don't usually pack, and if I do it's minimal packing just to keep the area open. I prefer just making a larger incision though.

I'm assuming that showering and bathing is pretty similar for patients with a loop, or maybe even a little easier, as opposed to wicking/ packing, right? Still need to keep the area clean and dry, and not mess with it too much?

I can see the value, but I worry that some of my suburban patients might freak out about having a foreign body in place for that long. I realize it isn't logical, but it's not holistic or "natural" or whatever, and this crowd cares about that.

Archived