How long before graduating do you start applying for jobs??

I had my contract signed about 6 months before graduation. If you know what you are looking for in regard to location and specialty, it doesn't hurt to start applying for positions. The worst they can say is no (and they likely will that far out...) but it put you on their radar and if they like you they may make an exception.

Agree with above. Even for students who aren't sure of what they want to be doing,  realize that it probably takes employers a minimum of 2 months to fill a position if they don't already have someone in mind:  posting the job, allowing enough time to collect resumes, reviewing applicants, interviewing applicants, discussing top candidates, contacting references, conducting background checks, etc.,  and then for new grads, knowing you need time to pass PANCE, get licensed, DEA, etc. 

I was able to lock-in my job of choice 5 months prior to graduation, but I had started the discussions 8 months out.  However, this wasn't a "cold-call" situation, I had strongly networked for the position and the timing for everyone involved was perfect: I technically graduated in August (I say "technically" because I had to bump one of my rotations later due to a coordination issue by my program) & I started working beginning of Nov.  I nailed my location of choice, job of choice, and salary of choice.  As Acozadd pointed out, you know what you want, so it won't hurt to start getting your name out there, maybe try to coordinate a visit during your off-time to a few EDs to meet people. 

agree with above. start keeping a file of clippings of job offers from the beginning of PA school. network during rotations if you want to stay in the area. start applying 3 months or so before graduation.

To the OP, seriously consider an EM residency after you graduate. it gives you many more options. there are 22 of them now all over the country. very worthwhile. If I was a new grad today I would apply to 3-5. If I didn't get in the first year, I would take the best em job I could and reapply the next year.

• 3 weeks later...

I was applying 4-6 months out, committed to a job on graduation day.  It was 3 months before I started- PANCE, licensing, credentialing, etc.  Where in IL are you looking? I work in Aurora currently, used to work in Rockford.  Not in EM, but I may have a lead or 2 if you're interested.

Archived