Ebola virus

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They have actually been threatening this very thing for a while.  There are some reports that the CDC is clandestinely taking anyone who is displaying symptoms to undisclosed locations in coordination with the Border Patrol, & that many of them are of middle eastern decent.  Whether true or not, I'm sure nobody will be hearing about such things on the nightly news anytime soon.

A PA with ties to Liberia discusses the situation there:

http://www.aapa.org/twocolumn.aspx?id=3389&utm_content=10172014_story1_link1

I just donated to his foundation to supply PPE for Liberian health care workers. Apparently there are 100 physicians and 1500 PAs in Liberia.

http://www.ourworldoutreach.org/

bottom of page for the PPE initiative.

My main point to one poster in general was to stop perpetrating white guilt, colonialism/imperialism and the like, things that happened in the past, not connected to any average person today, that was all.

I gotta say, dude, this reads a lot like a pamphlet which was left on my doorknob a few weeks ago that began, "What's wrong with asking questions about the holocaust?"

My main point to one poster in general was to stop perpetrating white guilt, colonialism/imperialism and the like, things that happened in the past, not connected to any average person today, that was all.. Moreover, the majority of Africa has been a big welfare state experiment, based on per capita in relation to welfare aid, and the result is massive corruption that is absolutely staggering. This insane white guilt over historical treatment of Africa has created a cesspool of disease ridden countries. The less-developed countries in the last several years have received roughly $4.6 trillion in direct aid, this does not account for indirect aid and subsidies. Over the last 60 years, a trillion dollars has been sent to Africa alone. The per capita in Africa is lower than it was in the 1970's. More than 50% of people live off $1 a day in that region after trillions have been transferred. After all this, their countries are poorer, disease is higher, corruption is higher. The world's developing countries, every year lose about $1 trillion alone to corruption, Sub-Saharan Africa is losing most of their GDP due to corruption in the entire world. Simply because there is so much money from other governments and many are fighting for this pot of gold called foreign aid.

"I caution you to be careful in absolving Western governments from blame." - They are in part to blame, in my view, in providing so much for so less in return. It's a sacrifice, meaning one does not gain or if one does, but of lesser value.

Moreover, bad ideas and irrationalities are incredibly destructive to human life. Africa is a hot bed for crazy ideas in general as a whole, I'M NOT STATING ALL THINK THIS WAY. For example, there are beliefs if you have sex with a virgin it can cure aids. There is no better idea to spread such a disease. That is some bad mojo, bad thinking. There are practices in West Africa, if a relative dies, you wash their body, throw yourself on the body, hug it, and kiss the disease-ridden corpse. Some believe Ebola is the result of some sorcerer, so they go see some witch doctor.

Relevant off-topic:

The Bulgarians and Greeks have been controlled by the Ottomans for 400-500 years and are the Turks wrapped with guilt or does the international community pressure the Turks to send massive amounts of aid to them to seek reparations? I absolutely deny some form of compensatory payment that should be made to the descendants of those involved in horrible crimes of the past.

Moreover:

"The skeletons of colonialism persist in these countries" ----> Haiti, obviously far from Africa, gained its independence from their "colonial masters," not too long after the U.S. How is Haiti doing today with no white, colonial overlords to screw them up? Many countries have gained independence and see how well they are doing due to their own idea of freedom and corrupt governing.

Majority of these countries are in control of their own fate - perfect example would be Vietnam - rather than embracing collectivism, the mixture of capitalism has led them to become one of the biggest electronic and textile hubs for export business. Each nation can control their fate if they choose the right ideas, we can't keep looking at the West.

Your ingnorance of history is troubling. I dont want to perpetuate frivolous argument but i urge you to read up on the history of Haiti. Your understanding of this country, and the global community in general, is not based in reality. I apologize if i seem condescending. I only hope that you continue to pursue your understanding of the world. Best of luck to you.

Geography & geology also the factors. Many places in Africa don't have clean water, adequate food. It's true that today, clean water is a problem for many countries in the world, but Africa suffered "lack of clean water" for thousands of years. There isn't a place where lack of "clean water &food" can be disease-free. If it wasn't for the discovery of potatoes & other food sources from South America, many people in "the West" still be starving today. Foreign aids don't fix the deserts & heat - the main killer of all crops.

ANYONE who thinks Haiti "earned" their current place in the world needs to read The uses of Haiti by Paul Farmer. It is a 400+ page book on how the western world has systematically screwed over Haiti for over 3 centuries. It's a tough read, but a great history lesson.

The fear of Ebola is going to end up hurting more people than Ebola itself (at least in the US): http://thinkprogress.org/health/2014/10/18/3581611/maine-teacher-put-on-leave-due-to-ebola-fears-because-she-visited-dallas/

Also, read an unofficial blurb that an unannounced "Ebola drill" at a hospital ED resulted in 9/10 nurses refusing to care for the "pt".

watch this video:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/17/world/africa/because-of-ebola-ambulance-work-in-liberia-is-a-busy-and-lonely-business.html?_r=0

the brief video follows a Liberian ambulance crew. True dedication. Guy sent his family away, does 15 hour days. sometimes he has to return patients home because the treatment centers are full. sobering stuff.

The fear of Ebola is going to end up hurting more people than Ebola itself (at least in the US): http://thinkprogress.org/health/2014/10/18/3581611/maine-teacher-put-on-leave-due-to-ebola-fears-because-she-visited-dallas/

Also, read an unofficial blurb that an unannounced "Ebola drill" at a hospital ED resulted in 9/10 nurses refusing to care for the "pt".

Ya, I was shocked when I saw that teacher story. The hospital is a different situation though, IMO, and understandable when looking at it from a nurses point of view. They are well versed in BSI precautions but voluntarily jumping into a hot zone with inadequate training and against an "unknown" virus that kills ~50% wouldn't turn me on either.

I asked every nurse I know those aren't obligate to family...they don't want to go volunteer & they went against my idea. Is the ebola scare that bad right now? I meant to protect our home& community, we need to contain it at its epidemic - W.Africa. Too bad, I'm only a little potato, can't help a lot except signing up myself.

Another option-

Hello!

We learned that you are interested in volunteering to help with the Ebola epidemic in West Africa.  We were given your name from the USAID volunteer sign-up because we need people like you who are ready to help!

WHAT WE ARE DOING

Heart to Heart International (HHI) has committed to operate an Ebola Treatment Unit (ETU) in Liberia for at least the next six months.

WHO WE NEED

Once the ETU is open and permanent staff is in place, we will need physicians, physician assistants, nurse practitioners and nurses to work in the ETU. 

• The deployment would be for a minimum of 6 weeks. 
  • This includes travel time, a week of Ebola & ETU protocol training by International Medical Corps and four weeks working in the ETU.  
  • Along with protective equipment, expenses for travel, food and lodging will be covered by HHI.

WORKING IN LIBERIA

HHI staff and volunteers will work in harsh conditions and must be healthy and in good physical shape.  The weather in Liberia is tropical - very hot and very humid. This is difficult work.

• Our expectation is the ETU will open in November 2014.
  • The ETU is an inpatient facility and will operate 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
  • There will be two 6-hour shifts during the day, and one 12-hour night shift.
  • Volunteers must be willing to staff whatever shift they are assigned and will work in full Personal Protective Equipment suits. 
  • HHI will provide all medical supplies and PPE for all staff. 
  • HHI volunteers will be working with a staff of Liberian nationals and will perform hands on care of the patients. 
  • HHI volunteers will follow very strict protocols for the protection of all staff and good patient care.

TAKE ACTION

update tonight: the nbc cameraman with Ebola is now disease free. the first TX nurse has been upgraded from fair to good. the spanish nursing asst. is also now dz free.

Dr. Paul Farmer(noted I.D. doc and founder of Partners in Health) recently said "most" patients (up to 90%) with Ebola could be saved with early intervention to include hydration, electrolyte replacement, and blood/plasma transfusion from an individual who has already cleared the disease.

http://www.pih.org/blog/dr.-paul-farmer-an-ebola-diagnosis-need-not-be-a-death-sentence

update tonight: the nbc cameraman with Ebola is now disease free. the first TX nurse has been upgraded from fair to good. the spanish nursing asst. is also now dz free.

Dr. Paul Farmer(noted I.D. doc and founder of Partners in Health) recently said "most" patients (up to 90%) with Ebola could be saved with early intervention to include hydration, electrolyte replacement, and blood/plasma transfusion from an individual who has already cleared the disease.

http://www.pih.org/blog/dr.-paul-farmer-an-ebola-diagnosis-need-not-be-a-death-sentence

Take a look at this article:

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/metro/20141020-hydration-helps-nigeria-beat-ebola-outbreak.ece

In Nigeria the death rate was about 1/2 of what they are seeing in West Africa. They attribute it to hydration. The electrolyte derangement in these patients are profound. Something like WHO oral rehydration salts would probably save more lives. 

Archived