Nurses supervising PA's in NY!!!

I just found this job posting at Mount Sinai in NY. Under duties is says:

"Some of your duties will entail: Acts as an assistant to the Radiologists and Staff Nurse, under their supervision and direction"

Someone please tell me I'm over reacting!

Here is the complete posting: https://wehealny.taleo.net/careersection/2/jobdetail.ftl?job=51125&src=JB-10100

Job posting title reads "Physicians" Assistant as well...

Maybe the Staff Nurse is their version of a Nurse Administrator and they are supervising from an employee standpoint and not a medical one. Just my guess, either way it's poorly worded and a bad proposition at best.

I hope no one applies. Also, Manhattan, ew. Insane costs of living in a place that really is not that cool.

The really sad thing is some dumb and/or desperate new grad will take the job.

I understand the dumb/naive part, but I also find it hard to swallow that any new, certified grad is truly desperate for work. The job postings are EVERYWHERE.

These must be people who refuse to move elsewhere, or are dead set on living in place X. ie, Manhattan

That's crazy. Mount Sinai is taking over lots of hospitals here in ny. They are very familiar with PAs, I'm sure this was not their intention.

I do primary care in Manhattan (Harlem) it's pretty fun living there, I agree with the insane cost of living though.

I understand the dumb/naive part, but I also find it hard to swallow that any new, certified grad is truly desperate for work. The job postings are EVERYWHERE.These must be people who refuse to move elsewhere, or are dead set on living in place X. ie, Manhattan

I see posting somewhat often about people having trouble getting a job. Yes they are the people that restrict themselves geographically and usually to a specialty as well. They are desperate nonetheless.

I see posting somewhat often about people having trouble getting a job. Yes they are the people that restrict themselves geographically and usually to a specialty as well. They are desperate nonetheless.

That's a shame. It's a self-imposed desperation. Not a desperation due to lack of opportunity within the profession.

That's a shame. It's a self-imposed desperation. Not a desperation due to lack of opportunity within the profession.

Often is, but not always. Some people have family that need them or whatever reasons they can't leave. In Manhattan though, usually because "I just can't imagine living anywhere else!" Not for me

It's bunk. Your license won't allow a nurse to supervise your clinical practice. They can, however, manage practice logistics to include your work schedule. Think of a large hospital where the president has an MBA and yet oversees the physician practice and policy. Not how they treat patients. Don't confuse the two. And BTW, there is nothing wrong with a clinic managed by someone with a nurse background. If a problem were to come up (let's say they demand you fill an RX you don't think is in the patients best interest) learn to stand up for your clinical judgement and say "no!" Heck, you should be able to do this with anyone, even the doc you collaborate with.

Ugh, this sounds like Kaiser. I have had nurse "supervisors" and a couple of supervisors weren't nurses nor did they even have a Bachelor's degree. I had SPs but my day to day schedule and other policies were managed by these people, some of whom did not even know what a PA was or did. I hate to say it, but the NP supervisors were the worst.

My first job, the PAs answered to the director of critical care services. She was a nurse.

She did not supervise us clinically, just everything else.

She was responsible for supervising all nursing staff in the ED and ICU.

She wasnt too difficult to work with but did question a lot of our CME stuff, scheduling, time off requests.

We were 2 PAs alone in a sea of nurses.

The 2 of us eventually sat down with the medical director and made our case on why he should be the employment supervisor. Essentially we made the argument that we were professionals and that we were grown up enough to handle all of the above issues and he just needed to sign off and back us up.

So in the end, we ended up managing ourselves and he just approved whatever we did after the fact.

We never got confrontative with the original supervisor, made our case and overall I think she was happy to be rid of us.

A bigger organization, some supervisors may have an issue with letting go. Then they have to find something else to do rather than micromanaging a provider.

G Brothers PA-C

It is very crazy and even sad to know that nurse would supervise PA's:(

It is not crazy for an RN to supervise a PA from an admin standpoint. If they are a trained manager then it is within their scope of duties

RNs do not supervise PA clinical practice

We need to avoid being anti-nurse just for the sake of it

Archived