MEDEX 2014-2015 applicants

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey All -- I am also a first year at MEDEX.  Ktcan is giving excellent advice -- particularly the part about meeting with other PA Forum candidates the day before.  We did exactly that, and knowing at least a few faces in the room put me at ease.  

This sounds like the consensus among current students. That is a plush beard by the way, first class.

I think I'm getting into town too late on 9/29 to realistically get together with you guys, but I'm hoping there might be a current MEDEX student on this thread who would be willing to talk to me on the phone for just a couple of minutes sometime this weekend?

I have a few questions and this forum is great, but I would really love to talk to a real live MEDEX student before the interview! 

Anybody who is up for it, please email me waldmanrachel@gmail.com 

Rachel

This is my 1st post in this thread.  Thank you to everyone for their insights and calming words for us nervous prospective students.  The more time passes, the more nervous I get (especially as a reapplicant)!

I'm still waiting to hear back about an interview.  My CASPA was verified on 8/12/14, and I received the email from MEDEX on 8/27/14 stating that I passed initial screening.  I live in Portland and applied to the Seattle campus.

Good luck everyone!  I'll update you all when I find out more info...

Oh, and my one piece of advice for tomorrow, that you might otherwise forget:  Go light on the caffeine.  Coffee is served as a courtesy, but so is chamomile tea.  Opt for the latter, unless you are falling asleep.   Your nerves will be steadier, your breath will smell better, and you will be more poised when you respond to the questions.

Do we think there will be another set of Seattle interview invites going out soon? Congrats and good luck to those who just interviewed there. I'd love to hear how the process is going for you all as you start hearing back.

And, thanks to all the current students and alums for your insight and good wishes. This is a stressful process!

Sorry that I'm just now catching up on this thread. So... some have had interviews already. Is this for both campuses? Any acceptances yet?

I've had a couple of interviews, and acceptance to one program. I'm just curious about MEDEX though. Haven't heard a word from them.

The communication from medex has far exceeded what I've seen from other programs. They will send you a couple of reminders and confirmations before your interview day. We were told that we would hear within 10 days. So next Friday.

One thing I really like about the program is that there is no set quota of students they must take every year. That gives them the liberty to accept whatever students they want, whenever in the interview process - they could take 30 students from my cohort, or 5.

"...there is no set quota of students they must take every year. That gives them the liberty to accept whatever students they want, whenever in the interview process - they could take 30 students from my cohort, or 5...."

This is not the reality, however.  UW is certainly about $$$, as is probably every PA program in the country. Give or take a year or two, each class size has grown every year. Do you really think they would settle for 5 students by $70K  vs. 30 students x $70K ??   No, of course not.

This is not the reality, however. UW is certainly about $$$, as is probably every PA program in the country. Give or take a year or two, each class size has grown every year. Do you really think they would settle for 5 students by $70K vs. 30 students x $70K ?? No, of course not.

My site (Tacoma) only has 23 students in my class. The class ahead of us has 28. They take students that will succeed in the program and fit their mission. To say that they are in the business to make money is a bit of an insult to the reputation of MEDEX. Being in the program I feel that they really value quality. If they were just interested in filling seats they wouldn't expect more HCE than most schools nor would they have such a rigorous interview process. To say they would only take 5 is extreme but they don't HAVE to fill their seats.

Archived