Med Spa PA position

Hello everyone.

I am looking to change careers and try to get into Dermatology. However, without any experience or at least 2 years, no one is willing to even give me time of day for an interview, especially since most of the doctors go through recruiters. So here is my question... I am looking into facial aesthetics... anyone work at a med spa where you perform face botox, fillers etc..???  would this be a good place to start and get experience to later try to get into dermatology??? I have mostly orthopedics experience, but did rotation in derm/plastics in school which I really enjoyed :)

The place I am looking at is located in a mall... don't know how reputable that would be.

ANY ADVISE would be appreciated......thanks

I did look into that and not many derm residency and are out of state. I'm married with 2 kids, so that is not option for me. Most private practice want PA with experience and are not willing to train :(  so I thought med spa would be a good place to get some aesthetic experience.

I have actually send out resumes to few dermatologist in the area and have not heard anything back. When I followed up, they are not interested :(    Its so frustrating....

you gotta figure they spent 4 years in a derm residency to get the knowledge and privilege to start practicing in such a high profit specialty ..... i doubt they would let an orthopedic physician walk in and start practicing ..... PA school does not set people up for a specialty like derm so you need to have someone train you and that can be through a residency or an employer who will reduce profit for perhaps a year to build you to a certain level .... its not going to be easy if you do not want to take a big salary hit I feel ....

Here's some serendipity for you, and maybe a good way to get some experience. I got sent this email today; have at it!

Good afternoon! This is Madeline Whitlow with Staff Care. I wanted to connect with you for a resource throughout Ohio. I have a mid-level dermatology need that has opened up in the Dayton area. I have listed the details below! If you are not available please send to any colleagues we will offer a $500 referral bonus. Please contact me if you are interested at your earliest convenience and forward an updated copy of your CV.

-NP/PA- General Dermatology (will consider mid level with minimal dermatology experience)  [i did the bolding]

-Mondays and Tuesdays (possibly Wednesdays) but can be flexible on the days

-8 am to 5 pm, no weekends 

-August through October 

-OH license, DEA

Contact me for more details! 

Madeline Whitlow

Recruiting Consultant-Advanced Practice
Staff Care

an AMN Healthcare company

Direct Phone: (469) 417-7538

Direct Fax: (877) 664-6918
5001 Statesman Drive, Irving, TX 75063
madeline.whitlow@staffcare.com

www.staffcare.com  

NYSE: AHS

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone.

I am looking to change careers and try to get into Dermatology. However, without any experience or at least 2 years, no one is willing to even give me time of day for an interview, especially since most of the doctors go through recruiters. So here is my question... I am looking into facial aesthetics... anyone work at a med spa where you perform face botox, fillers etc..???  would this be a good place to start and get experience to later try to get into dermatology??? I have mostly orthopedics experience, but did rotation in derm/plastics in school which I really enjoyed :)

The place I am looking at is located in a mall... don't know how reputable that would be.

ANY ADVISE would be appreciated......thanks

You said right. Nobody would hear you until you are not experienced. What it means is that you would need to sacrifice your ego in the start. Say, I am only interested in gaining experience so that they would listen to you more carefully. Once you gained the experience, the doors of better salaried jobs would open for you.

• 4 years later...

So many are trying to get into Derm now, the Derm groups are starting to drop pay and benefits.  Several PA's where I live were just fired from a local  Derm group as their contracts were deemed "to high".  Before they were let go their CME was reduced, PTO days taken and RVU's lowered.  And yes it was the result of yet another merger.  A corporation/investor group bought the practice.  Out came the axes...

Archived