Seeking Part Time-is it okay to apply for Full time positions, need advise

Hello Fellow PAs!

I am currently looking for part time employment due to the fact I have small children and this type of schedule would work best for my family. However, I would be fully committed to my job and it wouldn't prevent me from being 100% dedicated and hard working.

With that said, I have noticed there are little to no part time positions being advertised in my area, geographically or the area I wish to practice. Is it considered a professional "no-no" to apply for full time positions and then indicate that I am actually seeking part time employment?

Does anyone have any advice or similar stories on their personal experience? I wonder that if it is advisable to apply for full time positions and then communicating that I am seeking part time employment, then at what point would I bring that up? the cover letter? the interview? when a job offer is extended?

Thanks in advance for any advice or shared experiences!

Agree - it doesn't hurt. Many positions are advertised as full time because it's actually considered easier to advertise them (from an HR perspective) that way. There are some types of practice where the position is full time or no time, but lots of others that can be modified.

Sell yourself well at an interview and many groups will be willing to work with you. If they're not they should tell you up front.

Archived