Searching for job as new grad in NY/NJ

Hi - I am a new graduate who passed the PANCE June 5th. I am looking for jobs in the NY/NJ area and spend each day looking at the job boards. Are there any other suggestions for where to search out jobs? I am interested in many fields- excluding surgery. I just want to be able to get a job and get some experience so I can become more competitive. With COVID19 hitting this area so hard, I know why it is difficult at this time but would like any advice I can get (as well as any possible leads!).

Thank you for your time.

• Administrator
9 hours ago, kdonlon12 said:

Hi - I am a new graduate who passed the PANCE June 5th. I am looking for jobs in the NY/NJ area and spend each day looking at the job boards. Are there any other suggestions for where to search out jobs?

Social network!  All the best jobs are not found through job boards.

• Upvote 1

On 7/7/2020 at 5:56 PM, kdonlon12 said:

Thank you both! Still trying to find something. Asking everyone I know and hoping to find something that I can use to learn a lot!

You're welcome. 

Talking alone doesn't constitute networking. You need to interact and develop and maintain relationships. When people see what you're capable of and/or like you, they'll go to bat for you. If your network is pretty slim, start with someone from your alma mater or previous workplace who knows you. Join clubs, groups, associations, attend conferences, etc. Get involved and socialize! The medical world is a surprisingly small one, so you never know who knows someone who knows someone that's hiring! Hell, a non-medical friend asked me to fill in on his rec softball team one night. He asked if I wanted to join their team next season, to which I agreed. That next season, I unexpectedly met several medical people, one of whom is a surgeon and has offered me a job on more than one occasion over the years as his practice grows. My FM preceptor was a co-resident with my friend's girlfriend. A nurse I worked with worked with a surgeon I trained with but in a different state years ago. What a small world. You'll never know until you get out there (figuratively or literally) and meet people!

When I was leaving a job I liked for an advancement opportunity, I called up one of my old students to see if he was interested in replacing me. And he's been doing a great at the practice. The working world is largely about relationships. They don't teach you that in college. 

I know some of the above is hard to do right now with covid restrictions, but that shouldn't stop you from getting involved in some way. You could even try cold-calling and seeing if any offices need help, even if PRN or part time. Lots of opportunities and possibilities out there if you keep your eyes, ears, and mind open. Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1