5 rejections so far...

I applied to 14 PA programs and I have 5 rejections so far.

I've got respiratory therapy school in mind as a back up plan. It's just that I'm not sure if respiratory therapy is a very solid plan I see lots of posts online from people who say they can't find jobs in respiratory therapy (and I know I would be unhappy as a nurse).

I'm wondering if I'm even close to getting an interview anywhere and if It will be worth applying again next year? My stats are as follows:

Bachelor of Arts, Economics with most pre-reqs taken at local community college

Overall GPA: 3.1

Last 60 units including pre-requisites: 3.8

HCE 2,500 hours of low level stuff like nurse aid, EMT at a kids' camp, activities counselor at a mental health facility

GRE: Verbal 166 96th percentile

Quant 153 53rd percentile

Writing 4.0 54th percentile

Is this just too weak? I'm already 42 years old so I don't have too many more years to chase the PA dream. I do need a new career though. Any feedback would be appreciated. :)

You don't sound all that weak to me. I submit that it's time for you to contact the five schools and find out what you could do to be a stronger candidate. 

From your words, it sounds like your career interests lie more in wanting to leave what you are doing now than to do a specific thing next. If that's the case -- or these if these same words crept into your interview performance -- then that could be part of the problem.

You can change careers at any point in your life but it's usually better to know where you are trying to go than what you are trying to escape from.

+1 to UGoLong's response.  Keep in mind that there's still time in the application/admission process and nine schools that could potentially admit you; don't write off matriculating in 2014 yet.  You say that you would be unhappy as a nurse, so what would you be happy doing?  If you need an advice, I'd start there.  If you just needed to vent, I understand the frustration of uncertainty in this process.

I was told by a respiratory therapist I work with that there is a big push to make respiratory therapy a required Master's degree in the near future. Keep that in mind.

Considering there are barely any bachelor level programs, let alone masters level programs, I'd say you have nothing to worry about. The major push right now is for CRTs to become RRTs.

I've got respiratory therapy school in mind as a back up plan. It's just that I'm not sure if respiratory therapy is a very solid plan I see lots of posts online from people who say they can't find jobs in respiratory therapy (and I know I would be unhappy as a nurse).

I'm wondering if I'm even close to getting an interview anywhere and if It will be worth applying again next year? My stats are as follows:

HCE 2,500 hours of low level stuff like nurse aid, EMT at a kids' camp, activities counselor at a mental health facility

Is this just too weak? I'm already 42 years old so I don't have too many more years to chase the PA dream. I do need a new career though. Any feedback would be appreciated. :)

I hope you just keep your head up and your eyes on the prize. Your 3.8 pre-req GPA is awesome. There are many people on this forum who have posted success stories with much less.

As for RT, I'm in a respiratory therapy program right now. All I can say is that you will kick yourself in the butt every day if you chose not to pursue your dream. RT serves as way for me to get a bachelors degree as well as patient contact hours. If I had a bachelors degree, your experience and your 3.8 pre-req GPA, I would keep grinding. you have everything you need in order to succeed, now you just need to sit back and be patient. There is no need in talking about failure and other degree options when you are still waiting to hear back from 10 other schools. Stay strong and enjoy the holidays.  

Are you applying to PA school because you want a job, or because you want to be a PA? There are much easier routes to take to make a dollar than attending a PA program. Take time and reflect now rather than when your midway through a program and find out that it may not be for you. I only ask this due to the fact that you are even asking this question. Like UgoLong had mentioned, if you lack passion or the true desire to be a PA, it will show in your interview (this is true for any interview). There are many threads on this forum where you can draw a comparison between your stats and those who have successfully been accepted. With that being said, you can see that you have the stats to get into a program. However, If you don't get accepted this year, then go back and work on your weaknesses (i.e. HCE, job shadowing hours, and find true motivators as to why you want to be in this field).   

Are you applying to PA school because you want a job, or because you want to be a PA? There are much easier routes to take to make a dollar than attending a PA program. Take time and reflect now rather than when your midway through a program and find out that it may not be for you. I only ask this due to the fact that you are even asking this question. Like UgoLong had mentioned, if you lack passion or the true desire to be a PA, it will show in your interview (this is true for any interview). There are many threads on this forum where you can draw a comparison between your stats and those who have successfully been accepted. With that being said, you can see that you have the stats to get into a program. However, If you don't get accepted this year, then go back and work on your weaknesses (i.e. HCE, job shadowing hours, and find true motivators as to why you want to be in this field).

I do want to be a PA. I feel that it is only prudent to have back up plans, though, since getting into PA school is very competitive.

Your low cGPA is what is hurting you and you didn't mention your sGPA.  My GPAs were low as well but I applied very broadly in my second cycle and ended up with plenty of interviews(6), but even more rejections(11).  That's just the nature of applying with a low GPA.  Just keep in mind that you may have to apply again, but so do many others.  Don't waste this time right now - continue to build your application.  Refine your personal statement and make sure you're addressing your GPA but not making it the highlight.  You didn't mention if you have any outstanding pre-reqs, which can also be an issue(and is at least partially why I didn't see much activity in my first app cycle).  

I know as an "older" applicant rejections hurt a little more because you feel your clock is ticking,  but if PA is your dream and it is what you really want to do, don't give up keep your head up and your eye on the prize!!

This cycle is not over, so don't count yourself out. You still have a few more schools to hear from.

But start preparing yourself for next April and apply early on.

In the mean time you should revamp your personal statement, work with your recommenders on writing stronger LORs, if possible take a few more science classes (look at CASPA for what counts and science and other science credits and take some of those, even if they are lower division) and finally keep on working on your HCE hours.

There are many testimonials on this site of others that have gotten in with lower stats and on their second try,  so keep on trucking……..

BTW,  I will be starting PA school at 44 so don't fret.

adv.jpg

Sounds to me like your a good candidate. You have what it takes to get in the door. It seems like your interview skills is what's hurting you. If it was your stats you wouldn't even be in for an interview. Try to focus on your personal interactions with the interviewers and fellow interviewees. Sell yourself that's what you have to do. Just pretend its a job interview. Be the person you would be excited to hire.

Your stats aren't the best but they are good enough. Work on your interviewing skills. I think a lot of excellent PA candidates are rejected due to the interviews which are very subjective. There are some excellent books on how to interview well and a couple of YouTube videos by Kevin Ahern teaching how to handle med school interviews. Very similar. Interview preparation is really important. Don't try to wing it. Good luck.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX using Tapatalk 2

Archived