Choosing a position vs. taking a job

it's about 50:50 I think.

I would move before taking a job in a field that doesn't interest me.

many of my students wanted to stay local and just took random jobs in fields in whcih they have no interest just to stay in town...urology, endocrinology, etc...they both said "this is just for  a few years...10 years ago and they are still doing the same thing....

I recently reviewed a CV for a woman who has worked in surgery (general and CT), internal medicine, and wound care in the last 5 years. I did not look fondly on this. It looks as though she is undecided as to what she wants to do professionally, and is not developing command in any one field. I also respect people who take the time to create a career ... build a foundation .... and people who constantly jump ship for more money are not necessarily doing that.

I recently reviewed a CV for a woman who has worked in surgery (general and CT), internal medicine, and wound care in the last 5 years. I did not look fondly on this. It looks as though she is undecided as to what she wants to do professionally, and is not developing command in any one field. I also respect people who take the time to create a career ... build a foundation .... and people who constantly jump ship for more money are not necessarily doing that.

Here goes the so-called "lateral freedom", the holy grail of PA profession and a missing part of a highly and once-and-forever trained MD (end of sarcasm). This is how PA schools sell their services, by the way! It is sad to see the person being penalized for this. From the information given it is unclear the she was a money jumper and even less clear that she was a mediocre clinician. 

with your attitude you don't deserve to have her work in your institution. your bias irrational logic is your own downfall. im sure her experience alone makes her a superb provider and probably better than you. some people bounce fields out of bordome or searching for thier ideal job. i view "colorful" resumes (depending on the lehgth of time) as a possible asset. there are plenty of vicious environments that all healthcare providers can possibly find themselves in and i would not consider it an issue if they were searching to leave.

I knew from the beginning I wanted to work in rural care, CAH or on a rez and that is where I started and am still there today after nearly 10 years.  I was not willing to move so I have been a commuting PA for 10 years even though there is a hospital and clinic less than two miles from my house.  I travel 50 miles one way M-F and my longest commute was 62 miles one way.  I've seen other PAs posting on this site who have traveled even longer to be able to work in an area of medicine that was in their interest.

I've been in the same area for 7 years (since graduating) but I know many people who haven't. And then there is the fact that I've changed careers 4-5 times over my working career. Some people find what they want to do early and some don't. I don't regret any position I've ever had and I hope that my unique walk through life is part of what has made me who I am (for better or worse!).

Are there job jumpers, people who just take whatever job they think might be just a little better than the last one? People who don't think things through? People who leave as soon as it gets a little too hard? Or as soon as they hear about another job that pays a few cents an hour more? Sure there are.

But most of the time, when you interview someone who has changed jobs, there is an interesting story waiting, different from your own. And a chance to spend time with someone who has picked up a different constellation of skills. The woman who had to drop her PA scholarship during her clinical year because her Dad got sick and she had to help out at home, then became a radtech to make some money, and then went back to a different PA school to become their honor graduate. The young graduate who quit his job and joined his brother in Alaska to start a successful trucking company before coming back to his original discipline. We hired them both.

So, be cool with who you are and the path you took to get there. But don't be too quick to write off others that took different paths. They might have a particularly unique set of skills, experiences, and personal attributes. And great people to spend time with besides.

I've been in the same area for 7 years (since graduating) but I know many people who haven't. And then there is the fact that I've changed careers 4-5 times over my working career. Some people find what they want to do early and some don't. I don't regret any position I've ever had and I hope that my unique walk through life is part of what has made me who I am (for better or worse!).

Are there job jumpers, people who just take whatever job they think might be just a little better than the last one? People who don't think things through? People who leave as soon as it gets a little too hard? Or as soon as they hear about another job that pays a few cents an hour more? Sure there are.

But most of the time, when you interview someone who has changed jobs, there is an interesting story waiting, different from your own. And a chance to spend time with someone who has picked up a different constellation of skills. The woman who had to drop her PA scholarship during her clinical year because her Dad got sick and she had to help out at home, then became a radtech to make some money, and then went back to a different PA school to become their honor graduate. The young graduate who quit his job and joined his brother in Alaska to start a successful trucking company before coming back to his original discipline. We hired them both.

So, be cool with who you are and the path you took to get there. But don't be too quick to write off others that took different paths. They might have a particularly unique set of skills, experiences, and personal attributes. And great people to spend time with besides.

all these replies are awwwesommmmme :) love it!

I ditto all the open-minded and compassionate replies to the scenario presented by mr(ms?) grumpy here. you never know a person's story until you ask. yes, sometimes it's just a bubble-gum snapper who could care less, but just as often it could be an independently-minded and restless soul that needs to find and do better...for their sake AND for their patients' :) l love it

I've had 7 jobs since I started working as a PA 7 years ago. some of them were per diem positions held simultaneously, one job ended bc of the death of a child in the SP's family. I had one doc value me very highly bc I could put to rest worries about his patients other issues which were outside of the doc's field of expertise (bc I had so many varied clinical experiences).

so job-changers may not always be as flakey as they appear....

JMPA ... you cannot be a good surgeon if you work as a PA for 2 years in surgery. You cannot be a good headache clinician if you work in neurology for a year. I am in HIV medicine 6 years and am constantly learning. Can I go to emergency medicine ? Absolutely ... but I will start at the bottom and need to work my way up. Maybe even do an ER residency. I know little about emergency medicine. If a clinician is constantly switching  specialties they will never develop command in any one area and that us bit a good thing in my opinion. Every year this woman is in a new specialty .... I find the first year or two in any medical arena is just learning the basics and not really developing a deeper understanding of phys/pathology etc  ... its just getting the job done. If you keep jumping into new areas Im not sure how you really learn medicine. PAs are lateral movers .... but not as much as people think.

Same goes for me, looking at branching into a new specialty area (I'm sitting here with Guyton open reviewing), even after 30 years.  Six total jobs over that time period with two being warranted due to physician losing ED contract (had similar job by end of same day with another group) and a new FP biting off more than it could chew (recruited by ED physician to join him).  As I get older I'm getting better at staying put longer.

JMPA ... you cannot be a good surgeon if you work as a PA for 2 years in surgery. You cannot be a good headache clinician if you work in neurology for a year. I am in HIV medicine 6 years and am constantly learning. Can I go to emergency medicine ? Absolutely ... but I will start at the bottom and need to work my way up. Maybe even do an ER residency. I know little about emergency medicine. If a clinician is constantly switching  specialties they will never develop command in any one area and that us bit a good thing in my opinion. Every year this woman is in a new specialty .... I find the first year or two in any medical arena is just learning the basics and not really developing a deeper understanding of phys/pathology etc  ... its just getting the job done. If you keep jumping into new areas Im not sure how you really learn medicine. PAs are lateral movers .... but not as much as people think.

of course you can. your personal limitations do not apply to others. it is wrong to judge her history according to your weaknesses. if i worked in neurology for one year and specialized in headaches i would be the best ha clinition in the world. and why? because of dedication to learning and practicing. your reasoning is wacky. some PAs are more lateral than you could fathom and are excellant clinitians because of it.

Archived