Accrual Rate for PTO same as nursing staff?

Hello All,

I currently work for a large hospital system. The accrual rate for PTO is the same for PAs, nurses, clerical staff, etc. Everyone follows the same step-ladder approach as far as seniority goes to gain a higher accrual rate for years of service. Is this the case for many of you? I find it a tough pill to swallow at times that I am offered PTO as a PA at the same rate as a receptionist. Please let me know your thoughts.

I worked at a place like that for a long time.

take comfort in the fact that you also get cme funds and while the receptionist makes 15 dollars/hr, you make 40+

interestingly, we all got more PTO than the docs because we were union and they were not.

Yep, my accrual rate is the same as everyone else -from the janitor on up. It is based on years of service, not what type of position you hold. The only thing I can think of when negotiating is to try and negotiate for 4 days per week (4-10's or whatever) to have that extra day off a week. It makes a huge difference in your sanity.

Hello All,

I currently work for a large hospital system. The accrual rate for PTO is the same for PAs, nurses, clerical staff, etc. Everyone follows the same step-ladder approach as far as seniority goes to gain a higher accrual rate for years of service. Is this the case for many of you? I find it a tough pill to swallow at times that I am offered PTO as a PA at the same rate as a receptionist. Please let me know your thoughts.

Why would you expect more PTO because of the position?

if you are protected in the union in getting six or eight weeks of PTO that's fine.

if however you started two weeks and slowly work up before that is unacceptable.

In my large hospital system management, doctors, PA's all receive the same accrual rate. This is at a higher rate than office staff.

I would not be content on getting the same benefit of and office staff if it is less than four weeks a year as the stressors placed on a provider are certainly different than office staff.

Archived