LOR question- please help!

Hello all,

I would really appreciate some help deciding who to list as a reference. Two of my references will be PAs that I've shadowed, which is all set.

My confusion is related to getting a reference from my job, which I'm counting as HCE, so I figure it would be good to have a reference from there. I've been working as a mental health recovery counselor, working with chronically, pretty severely mentally ill clients; I work on their individual goals, administer medications, coordinate care with other providers, etc. The organization is a big mental health services organization in Western Mass, sponsored by the DMH.

My direct supervisor is my Program Director/Team leader and I know he would give me an excellent reference; he also works with me most directly and knows me and my work well. However, he doesn't have any sort of official status or certification; he has been with the company for ~15 years and knows the ropes, but he doesn't have any letters after his name, basically.

The other option is getting a reference from a CCM, Clinical Case Manager, which usually are an LSW or LICSW. However, our team's CCM quit in May, so I would have to go to the Senior CCM, who doesn't know me that well or work with me directly. We've done a few meetings and reviews with clients together and he reads my shift/progress notes, but I'm not sure how personal or generous his recommendation would be.

So, should I go with someone without official status, or with someone whose recommendation might not be as good? Or should I not get a reference from my job at all and go with an academic reference or an MD that doesn't know me that well?

Any input would be great, thank you!!

Archived