Amoxicillin for strep pharyngitis

Has anyone heard of a change in the recommended dosing regimen of amoxicillin for strep pharyngitis? I'm used to the 875-1000 mg BID for adults and the 50 mg/kg divided BID for kids, both for 10 days. I recently noticed in Epocrates, under the amoxicillin monograph there is a new bolded recommendation: 1000 mg q24 hrs for adults and 50 mg/kg q24 hrs for kids, both for 10 days.

The article for strep pharyngitis on the other hand still reflects the BID dosing for adults and the divided dosing for kids (with a 1000 mg daily max rather than what I swear used to be a 1000 mg/dose max).

Anyone heard of this? And better yet, does anyone have any references for this change?

I think that you are thinking of the "new augmentin-1000mg XL doses which came out in 2008-ish and reflected a recommendation of "1-2 tabs po bid" giving the patient a total of 2000-4000mg / day of amoxicillin (plus the Clavulanic acid dosages).

So you are not wrong.

I agree with ventana, penicillin is the way to go, and is the DOC. Or simply a single Bicillin CR injection

honestly I think we should go back to doing shots in the office

just have to many people coming in saying "I had some left over abx from my last ST so I took them for my 4 days of sinus infection"

Bad on two sides, didn't finish the abx for ST and took it wrong for a cold......

I go with the UpToDate recommendation for PCN oral as first line; amox 875 BID (not Augmentin) or 500 TID as an alternative. Smaller doses for people under 27 kg.

I have occasionally used amox instead of PCN suspension just because amox is so much tastier; I've had some kids refuse PCN suspension.

Don't think I would use Augmentin for strep. Don't need such a broad hammer for such a narrow little nail.

Personally I wouldn't go with Bicillin unless there were some overwhelming reason not to use oral, don't see any reason to take that small but potentially serious extra risk of anaphylaxis gratuitously.

Pen V is usually taken on an empty stomach - which can add to GI side effects and it's also a convenience issue, having to work your pills and meals around each other. Personally, I still prefer using Pen V over amoxil, especially in the kid/adolescent age groups if I can, simply because if there is an underlying mono with the strep throat, the kid will likely get a wicked rash...it'll tell me about the mono in a hurry, but they often get labelled as Penicilin Allergic. Trying to tell parents that's not the case is as difficult as pulling hens' teeth. If there isn't Pen liquid about for kids (it was DC'd here awhile back for some time), I use cephalexin, cefuroxime or clarithromycin. I usually double up the dose with adults and go bid dosing with the Pen V.

SK

• 2 years later...

strep throat

one of the greatest excuses to give ABX....

yes I do still test and treat based on results, and physical exam - yup NASTY looking throats get ABX - not for strep but those other Dx like PTA

My take on the whole thing

simple Strep throat will not kill you acutely 

Americans want the cure in a pill

there at literately MILLIONS of causes of sore throat - and strep - (oh yeah and not all strep but just the group A beta-hemolytic streptococcal )

The above warrants treatment based on pathogen (and for others like diptheria, GC, PTA and others that should be in the Ddx of sore throat)

BUT we are FAR overtreating sore throats with Abx - no idea why this persists but suspect it is "keeping patient happy", easier, less fuss, less follow up, less chance of missing something..........

for the simple sore throat we should all be NOT treating until results are back - if you are testing.... based on results

and LOOKING at the throat - for petechia, LAD, Erythema and D/C - if 3 of these are not present - don't treat

if typical VIRAL - don't treat

If NASTY throat and MONO NEGATIVE - and concern ddx is PTA or other -okay to treat covering the pathogens for your Ddx

Stop the sillyness of just giving out ABX for sore throat......  it is wrong.....

Has anyone heard of a change in the recommended dosing regimen of amoxicillin for strep pharyngitis? I'm used to the 875-1000 mg BID for adults and the 50 mg/kg divided BID for kids, both for 10 days. I recently noticed in Epocrates, under the amoxicillin monograph there is a new bolded recommendation: 1000 mg q24 hrs for adults and 50 mg/kg q24 hrs for kids, both for 10 days.

The article for strep pharyngitis on the other hand still reflects the BID dosing for adults and the divided dosing for kids (with a 1000 mg daily max rather than what I swear used to be a 1000 mg/dose max).

Anyone heard of this? And better yet, does anyone have any references for this change?

I generally live and die by the Sandford Guide which says Pen VK 500mg BID x 10 days or Amox 500mg BID x 10 days.

Archived