Perspective on undergrad courses from actual PA students

I figured you all would be able to help me decide since you are actually in the program. I have already taken A&P 1 and 2. Should I just go for the Upper Division Anatomy for a more in-depth perspective or should I take Immunology or Upper Division Microbiology with a concentration in Virology? I have taken the 2000 level Microbiology already. I took the Upper Division Physiology and got a B+ which I was very disappointed with myself because I was only 7 points away from having an A-. I am afraid that may happen with the Upper Division Anatomy.

Taking the upper level anatomy course would be good and it may be hard for you. You will probably get a much tougher anatomy class in PA school and a class now might help. Otherwise I'd consider a pathophysiology class, which is where you will spend much of your time in PA school.

Some schools want a separate anatomy class, rather than one combined with physiology. Best to check with the schools you are thinking of applying to.

Good luck!

As as a 2nd year pa student, I would suggest the immunology or micro route out of what you are considering. If you are planning on surgery, maybe the anatomy. Personally, I also think pathophys would be most helpful.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

You will get a great anatomy education when you are in PA school. Go for virology/immunology. Or an upper level micro. Also, if you haven't taken a Biochem class, it helped me considerably at understanding why the structure dictates the function of many different molecules in Pharmacology.

I think anatomy would make PA school a little easier and it's more relevant to actual practice in most fields. You will cover immunology in PA school, but it's pretty basic stuff (in my opinion). I have a molecular bio BS and I did not learn anything new from micro/immunology in PA school.

Definitely anatomy. Immunology/virology will be covered in your pathophys class, and it's one chapter rather than one whole very difficult class

I took immunology, virology, microbiology, and parasitology.

I don't know anything about advanced anatomy (my school didn't offer such a thing), but given the schedule for my first year that I recently received, I would probably lean in that direction. However, I learned a metric poop ton in micro and immunology class. You can't go wrong if you end up there.

If you feel pretty good about your micro, go with the anatomy (or possibly physiology if it is an option). If you come into school with a good base of anatomy knowledge you will free up a lot of time to study other things. Unfortunately, there are not too many shortcuts for anatomy. The only way to master it is to study it for hours (and hours and hours!)

Immunology & micro! I feel like if you really study it well, some of that stuff tends to stick, no matter how long ago you learned it, and it pops up in everything! It's important to all of your clinical medicine courses. Of course anatomy is too, but you will likely have an advanced anatomy when you get to PA School, whereas you may not get the time to learn the micro/immuno at the pace that you can learn it now!

Archived