32 years old and would like to start towards PA.

Hello everyone, as I stated in my topic header. I'm 32 and and would like to start rolling my goal towards being a PA. I know I should start to talk to a counselor. Many of you have gone through the per-requisites. What courses do I need to take and is there any suggestions you may have for me? Wish me luck!!!!! Thank you for your support!

The best place to start, beyond exploring the profession, is the website of the PA programs in your area. They will all list prereqs and other requirements. Every school has slightly different requirements, so find the schools you like and figure out a plan on how to meet their requirements. Unfortunately, the inconsistency between schools can be maddening, but a part of the process.

eplaza: I'm 32 and was just admitted to PA school, so congratulations on your choice of career! I started taking prerequisites almost two years ago (my bachelor's degree is in psychology). I have had to take General Biology I & II (with labs), Anatomy & Physiology (with labs), General Chemistry I & II (with labs), Medical Terminology, Organic Chemistry I with lab, Biochemistry, Microbiology with lab, and Genetics. I also took a Healthcare Careers class, just for good measure. I recommend looking into your local universities for a post-baccalaureate premedical program. I took half of my classes through such a program, and half at a community college (for cost reasons). Also look at the prerequisite requirements for schools that you are interested in. Some require the GRE, some the MCAT, and some none at all. Some also require a certain number of hours of paid healthcare experience, volunteering and/or shadowing. Good luck to you!

I am 36 years old and applying this year to a cluster of PA programs and I hope I have everything I need to not only be competitive but to be accepted into at least one of the eight programs I applied too. I just wanted to say good luck to you, good luck to us both. I sometimes find myself so cognizant of the fact that I am in my late 30's. I am trying not to see it as a negative but rather as the positive that it really is. What do you think?

Don't let age discourage you. About a little over 1/3rd of my class (60 stundents) is near or over 30 years old. Of that maybe 12 are in their mid to late 30's, we got a few near or over 40 and a couple that are between 50-60 years old. The rest being mid to late 20's.

Don't let age discourage you. About a little over 1/3rd of my class (60 stundents) is near or over 30 years old. Of that maybe 12 are in their mid to late 30's, we got a few near or over 40 and a couple that are between 50-60 years old. The rest being mid to late 20's.

avg age in my class was 35. at 27 I was one of the younger students.

I am 36 years old and applying this year to a cluster of PA programs and I hope I have everything I need to not only be competitive but to be accepted into at least one of the eight programs I applied too. I just wanted to say good luck to you, good luck to us both. I sometimes find myself so cognizant of the fact that I am in my late 30's. I am trying not to see it as a negative but rather as the positive that it really is. What do you think?

Positive affirmation is always a great thing! I also wish you the best of luck!

My Path:

*Get Phlebotomy Certificate

*Get Health care Experience, work on networking for references for PA program application. While getting income.

* Complete Bachelors Degree in Biology for pre-rec.

* Apply for PA Program.

Is this a good plan? Does anyone have a better suggestion? Thanks!

eplaza: I would go the nursing route (CNA, LPN, etc.) or phlebotomy versus EMT. I trained as an EMT-B, but had the HARDEST time finding a job. Perhaps it depends on where you live, but where I live there were very few positions available, and the ones that were paid $10/hour or less. With a mortgage and such, that was impossible to do. But, there were tons of CNA jobs. The training and clinicals for the EMT-B were great experience, and luckily the school I was accepted to took that training under consideration and admitted me without the paid experience.

Archived