32 years old and would like to start towards PA.

Thank you! I have chosen the Phlebotomy route and I start in September! Thank you so much for helping me! Wish me luck in my journey!

I really really don't want to be the bearer of bad news but I know schools out here don't count phlebotomy as HCE.

Have you researched the schools you hope to apply to in terms of what they accept as HCE?

I'm 45 and I just got admitted to Jefferson College of Health Sciences from the waitlist to start mid-August (yikes!). Technically I got in the first year but I had already put in 10 apps for the current CASPA cycle. Do what you have to do! Go for it, 32 is young!

I'm 45 and I just got admitted to Jefferson College of Health Sciences from the waitlist to start mid-August (yikes!). Technically I got in the first year but I had already put in 10 apps for the current CASPA cycle. Do what you have to do! Go for it, 32 is young!

That's fantastic!!! Please keep me posted!'

Wow!!! This is awesome of you to share this!!! It gives me hope to keep going!!! I am 30 almost 31. I decided about 5 years ago I wanted to become a PA. I was practicing as a radiation therapist and felt like something was missing. I completed my ba in the same field on a 1 yr fast track deal. Immediately I started on my remaining per reqs- mostly chemistry.

Anyway I was doing well until I became pregnant and thought I could handle it and organic chemistry physics and other tough classes. I wasn't able to and I ended up with a bunch of withdraws and 1 F. It was a bad idea too late now tho. My GPA took a major hit as well as my head and heart. All I want is to be a PA. I eat sleep live PA.

My plan is to return this year and try and get my GPA back up hopefully score well on the GRE and apply next year. I got wait listed at 1 school and I do hear/ read on here a lot of people get in off the wait list so I just keep praying. I have 2 children who need a parent with a decent income.

My advice to you would be- do well in your pre reqs. I'm talking A and B grades. GPA is heavily heavily weighted in PA program s. Do well on the GRE. Its a long road brace yourself for applying and being denied and keep your head up!!

Good luck and please share your progress!!!

I had a 3.5 something overall ugrad and 3.8 science. I'm an EMT. 1500 hours rescue volunteer and 2000 as a paid hospital tech when I applied (now 4000). I interviewed at Duke the day before I interviewed there and was really impressed by the faculty. I got my first choice even if it wasn't the highest ranked.

laurac,

Strong work! Best of luck in school. If I can give you any advice it is to not only do well, but not to act too old and instead use this chance to re-experience what it is like to be young and in college. You will make some great friends in the process.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi waitingblessing!

So sorry for the delay!

It is very cool to see other Radiology professionals here! I'm in Florida. I have a lot of chemistry left to take! I retook A&P 1 and lab, and I also took medical terminology this summer. All A's :) I retook A&P because in the programs I've looked at, they are already outdated. I have had some chemistry, but I'm nervous about it, so for now I'm taking Chem courses alone. I start Gen Chem 1 and the lab next in a couple of weeks. I need Gen Chem 2 and lab, taking that in the spring. Retaking A&P 2 and lab next summer and probably take the GRE then too. I'm also thinking I need a semester of Organic Chem too and I plan to take that next Fall if so. I also need an upper level Microbiology and lab. I will take that too. I want make the stellar grades and to be able to apply for PA school in 2015.It is a long road, but I'm very excited about it!

Where are you in the process?

Hi Gwen!!! That is awesome!! Yes it does feel good to know someone from the radiology field is trying to practice as a PA!!!!

I have taken all the pre reqs except organic chemistry. I was prego last year and tried to take it while prego. I ended up withdrawing. Then I went back right after I had the baby ended up withdrawing again :( it was just way way too much :(!! My a& p are also about 7 years out so I am retaking them this year. I plan to apply thru caspa next year and hopefully start in 2015 as well!!! :)

Your undergrad is in communications? I am looking into getting my pre-reqs done, I as well have a degree in communication. I thought I was crazy for wanting to change it up so much by going into PA. I am 34. I meet with the pre-PA adviser tomorrow to register for classes.

@Waitingblessing,

I hope I can apply to caspa in 2014 as well. That's the plan. It is a very exciting career path. We will have to stay focused! I see chemistry as a weed out class... I've heard organic chemistry is a beast. Is it much harder than General Chemistry 1 & 2? I don't know why I'm so nervous out chemistry. Wish me luck. I've paid for classes and books for the fall. Good luck with organic chemistry and A&P. I took A&P 13 years ago and I'm pleased with how I came out of my summer classes. I definitely think it helps being in radiology. We should definitely have a firm grasp on anatomy and terminology. In Nuc Med we do functional studies. Maybe that helped some with physiology. But either way, it was no walk in the park taking 3 condensed classes over the summer! The programs that I have looked at in Florida do not require shadowing a PA, just hce hours. But, if I find it will strengthen my application, I will try to get some shadowing hours from some PAs that I know and/or physicians. I will cross that bridge when I get to it, another time investment!!!!

I'm married with 3 kids, stepson 17, daughter 7, son 4. I know it is hard to take classes, work, and have a family. I'm glad we have this forum for support!

• 1 month later...

I am 39 and will be almost 40 if I get accepted this cycle, so here's hoping :-) I have 10 years experience as an acupuncturist and pretty good grades so hopefully I have a good chance.

I think that late career changes/shifts are becoming more and more common. If you have strong motivation and keep steady on your goal it is totally doable.

An advantage to being older when you apply: You add to the school's diversity.

An advantage to being older while you're in a PA program: You've gotten through hard times before and succeeded.

An advantage to be older when you start working as a PA: It can be easier building rapport with your patients.

Don't let your age hold you back.

Archived