How to Manipulate an Attending

I'm looking for some suggestions:

At my job I spend some of my time rounding with an inpatient team at a teaching hospital.

I normally make sure the residents are doing things correctly, spend some time with patient education and often take responsibility for patients on day of discharge.

There is one particular attending that makes the service run horribly.

He is a nice guy from southern Italy who likes to talk forever with each patient and seems to each day decide anew what his plans are for the patient.

The colloquialism 'herding cats' seems to fit. We can't predict what he is going to order, when a patient might be discharged or whether we'll be done with morning rounds by 5pm.

I want to have a talk with him with a perspective of 'please help me help you as I feel underutilized'.

I was wondering if anyone out there had any further suggestion on how to manipulate an attending.

Herding Cats in NY, -TJ

We can't predict what he is going to order, when a patient might be discharged or whether we'll be done with morning rounds by 5pm.

Thank you for making me lol ... I wish you the best of luck and after a night of proper rest after a 60 hour work week, I might have some suggestions.

I'm looking for some suggestions:

At my job I spend some of my time rounding with an inpatient team at a teaching hospital.

I normally make sure the residents are doing things correctly, spend some time with patient education and often take responsibility for patients on day of discharge.

There is one particular attending that makes the service run horribly.

He is a nice guy from southern Italy who likes to talk forever with each patient and seems to each day decide anew what his plans are for the patient.

The colloquialism 'herding cats' seems to fit. We can't predict what he is going to order, when a patient might be discharged or whether we'll be done with morning rounds by 5pm.

I want to have a talk with him with a perspective of 'please help me help you as I feel underutilized'.

I was wondering if anyone out there had any further suggestion on how to manipulate an attending.

Herding Cats in NY, -TJ

Read some old B.F. Skinner stuff. Then fill you lab coat pockets with M&Ms. Every time he makes one gesture in the right direction, smile and hand him an M&M. Try to refrain from saying "good boy" or he might be on to you. Hmm . . . being Italian, maybe a slice of pepperoni might work better.

Archived