More Bad Press...

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/sebelius-recognizes-physician-assistants-key-healthcare-providers

"The doctor may be in, but an increasing number of Americans are more likely to see the physician's assistant as Obamacare takes hold"

Also, check out the comments section. Sounds like we need to do better at informing the public who we are and what we do.

examples:

"I guess that thinning out the population by misdiagnosis is one way of saving on paying real doctors.I'm not a doctor but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night."

"They are not licensed to practice medicine...I want a licensed doctor, otherwise you may as well see a nurse for your medical problems! That's what I pay an MD for."

The comments section is just absurd. I can't quite grasp how so many people seem to have the notion that PA's should only "be checking vitals." Where else in the U.S. is a master's degree (referring to programs today) looked down upon as much as the PA degree? It just baffles me.

Comments like these drive me toward MD just to avoid them as much as possible.

Frustrating!

Wow, there are some stupid, misinformed people out there. The thing is, that no matter what the news article is on, there is a 100% chance of idiocy in the comment section. The only thing you learn from comments on news articles is that nearly retarded, uninformed people like to comment on news articles.

I wouldn't look at comments for anything on the internet. These people find a way to make terrible, judgmental, misinformed comments on kids with cancer.

I think a lot of the hate is stemming from Obamacare being projected onto the PA's. There's a lot of people in this country who hate the affordable healthcare act without really knowing anything about it. These same people will attack anything associated with it, real or not.

And look at the website and the website slogan, it's not exactly an unbiased news source.

Actually I disagree. I think this article is a mixed bag. While it can be interpreted as negative, there are a lot of good plugs for us in it as well:

""emphasized the essential value" of physician assistants, who work under the supervision of a physician who may or may not be in the same building ... "

"In medically underserved communities, and particularly in rural areas, PAs are an incredible lifeline to patients who might not have regular access to other healthcare providers. So it's vital to do everything we can to bolster the work done by PAs ... "

"PAs perform physical examinations, diagnose and treat illnesses, order and interpret lab tests, perform procedures, assist in surgery, provide patient education and counseling, and make rounds in hospitals and nursing homes. All 50 states and the District of Columbia allow PAs to practice and prescribe medications."

"Physician assistants already care for more than 300 million patients, HHS said, and demand for their services is expected to increase substantially next year, when Obamacare takes full effect"

"Training for PAs is modeled after medical school training, but it is less rigorous than that required of physicians.PAs receive both classroom and clinical instruction. The average length of a PA education program is 27 months, according to the American Academy of Physician Assistants.

The Academy says applicants to PA programs must complete at least two years of college courses in basic science and behavioral science as prerequisites to PA school.

There are currently 170 accredited PA programs in the United States, and most of them award master’s degrees"

As far as the comments, that is pretty typical for ANY story. You could go to any news story on anything, as mentioned above, and that is the type of comments people post. Hell just look up the comments people were posting about the biracial child in the Cheerios commercial. Comments mean nothing, and the type of people who comment on such stories in no way represent the general population.

Actually I disagree. I think this article is a mixed bag. While it can be interpreted as negative, there are a lot of good plugs for us in it as well:

""emphasized the essential value" of physician assistants, who work under the supervision of a physician who may or may not be in the same building ... "

"In medically underserved communities, and particularly in rural areas, PAs are an incredible lifeline to patients who might not have regular access to other healthcare providers. So it's vital to do everything we can to bolster the work done by PAs ... "

"PAs perform physical examinations, diagnose and treat illnesses, order and interpret lab tests, perform procedures, assist in surgery, provide patient education and counseling, and make rounds in hospitals and nursing homes. All 50 states and the District of Columbia allow PAs to practice and prescribe medications."

"Physician assistants already care for more than 300 million patients, HHS said, and demand for their services is expected to increase substantially next year, when Obamacare takes full effect"

"Training for PAs is modeled after medical school training, but it is less rigorous than that required of physicians.PAs receive both classroom and clinical instruction. The average length of a PA education program is 27 months, according to the American Academy of Physician Assistants.

The Academy says applicants to PA programs must complete at least two years of college courses in basic science and behavioral science as prerequisites to PA school.

There are currently 170 accredited PA programs in the United States, and most of them award master’s degrees"

As far as the comments, that is pretty typical for ANY story. You could go to any news story on anything, as mentioned above, and that is the type of comments people post. Hell just look up the comments people were posting about the biracial child in the Cheerios commercial. Comments mean nothing, and the type of people who comment on such stories in no way represent the general population.

the article itself is not negative or biased (in my opinion). It is an article about obamacare on a right-wing website, hence its readers will attack/comment anything associated with obamacare.

• Administrator
[...] of course they can see a Doc, it will just be 2 more months until an appointment opens up. :=D:

Or "there are no doctors on the medicaid preferred providers list who are accepting medicaid patients" I actually got that one the other day although it was "Molina" not "medicaid" and "massage therapists" instead of "doctors".

Archived