i got an infraction for possession of less than an oz. of marijuana..

I live in California and possession of less than an ounce of marijuana is decriminalized and just an infraction you have to pay a fine for. I don't really wanna hear any lectures on marijuana, i use it for my depression and anxiety and it helps an immense amount. My grades plummet if I don't smoke. My question is, does this mean I cant get into pa school? I was told anyone can look up that I got a ticket for pot possession.

You may have a legal right to use this. But all things being equal, if I am trying to decide between two candidates, why would I pick you over someone else who would not be facing this issue? In fact, I'm inclined to say don't even mention your depression. Why would anyone want a depressed student in their program? Administrators have enough to do dealing with routine student issues. Why would they load their plate with someone who might be at risk for being a "high maintenance" student when they can easily pick someone else who is equally well-qualified?

I'm a California PA student. On our application, you list all felonies and (if I remember correctly) misdemeanors..not sure if that would count. You also have a background check so if you didn't disclose something that was discovered, it's a big no-no. We didn't have a drug test. We did have to get a physical from our doctor (or the campus one) to declare us fit for the program.

I wouldn't want a drug addict for a PA. I'm sorry to hear about your depression and all, but there are better ways of dealing with your problems than turning to drugs. If you can't follow a simple law about drug use, how can you be trusted with access to morphine and other opiates?

I'm a California PA student. On our application, you list all felonies and (if I remember correctly) misdemeanors..not sure if that would count. You also have a background check so if you didn't disclose something that was discovered, it's a big no-no. We didn't have a drug test. We did have to get a physical from our doctor (or the campus one) to declare us fit for the program.
its neither a felony or misdemeanor. california treats it like a traffic ticket

less drama, man. just work with a professional to get dope out of your life so the infraction is an infraction, and make it part of your past. then when you are tested, you come up clean.
what im worried about is that people made points that there are applicants without that infraction.. so why would they choose me? im not trying to be dramatic, im just trying to see what will happen/what im going to do.

There are some excellent medications out there for depression. Perhaps giving one of those a go would stop your "need" for maryjane. Or perhaps another field where lives aren't at stake might be more in line for you if you can't stop it.... research, entertainment, retail. If I remember your previous posts, you don't have any HCE yet, so at least you aren't too invested yet to consider other options.

Don't take the feedback provided to you via this forum or any other as the final word. This is a conversation to have with the state medical board. First thought I had was "I wonder if you can get a DEA number if you have a "green" card." Since the feds issue the DEA #, which allows you to prescribe narcs, and the Feds do not support the legal use of marijuana... while you do not NEED a DEA license to be a PA, it may hold you back from being hired as a clinic may not want to hire a PA who does not have the full use of their scope of care.

That being said.. there are some states where PAs can't prescribe... maybe they will hire you?

Yup, ask a lawyer to get a definitive answer. Don't rely on an internet forum for something like that.

Legal counsel is sound advice but know this, in litigous California, if/when a pt files a complaint against you and you are found to have used a controlled substance while caring for that pt, you AND your SP will have a lot to answer for. This profession is not one casually jumps into. Not just for personal liability but you can kill someone quite easily.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

Follow the instructions for CASPA. I believe it says specifically felonies or misdemeanors, simple as that (unless it does say infractions in which case obviously you would need to disclose if you are not able to have it expunged). No need to start listing things that are not asked for and making it harder for yourself to be considered. It may even show that you can not properly follow instructions if you start providing information that is not requested. An infraction is neither a misdemeanor nor a felony. Later in the process, just to be prepared to discuss the issue if it were to somehow come up later on a background check. Aside from that, as many others have said, you may want to reconsider if working in health-care if what you truly desire. If you are having so much anxiety dealing with your undergraduate classes, you might be disappointed to find that life does not get easier upon graduation or in graduate school. You will have a difficult time being hired with an illegal drug showing up in your system, regardless of your med card. Not to be redundant, but if you want to work in the health-care field, illegal substances are not tolerated, but many anti anxiety medications are. Decide what is more important to you, consider the alternatives and go from there.

• Administrator
so that's it, huh? i guess i shouldn't even finish getting my bachelors? i knew i was screwed.

You're screwed because you're addicted to an illegal substance--and let's not mince words here, despite all the very good arguments for medicinal use, it's schedule 1, Illegal, per the feds--not because the system is unfair for weeding you out before you're anywhere near patients.

Let's dig a little deeper here:

1) When were you diagnosed by a licensed medical practitioner with depression and anxiety? If the answer is "never formally", you're not treating yourself for any identified medical condition with marijuana.

2) How did you determine that marijuana was effective for depression and anxiety? Were you started on treatment by a licensed medical practitioner of some sort? If so, great! if not, see #3. (note: fixed after posting)

3) Before it was decriminalized, have you ever committed any crime, in any jurisdiction, for the acquisition, use, sale, or delivery of marijuana?

4) What alternatives have you tried for depression and anxiety? If the answer is "none, pot works fine", then you're preferring an illegal option over several very legal, very effective FDA-approved drugs, as well as other interventions like counseling or other nonpharmaceutical options.

5) Are depression and anxiety the only reasons you have ever used marijuana?

6) Can you proceed throughout the training, certification, and licensing processes without lying about any drug-related matter?

If you actually want to understand why you're almost certainly entirely unfit at the moment to treat others' healthcare problems, just answer these six questions honestly, and I'll be happy to explain why no one would ever 1) admit you to their program, 2) license you, or 3) hire you until that has demonstrably and unequivocally changed.

A majority of people probably want pot legalized, for one reason or another. But a much, much stronger majority do not want their healthcare providers currently dependent on marijuana. This is the world in which you live; how you react to it is up to you.

You're screwed because you're addicted to an illegal substance--and let's not mince words here, despite all the very good arguments for medicinal use, it's schedule 1, Illegal, per the feds--not because the system is unfair for weeding you out before you're anywhere near patients.

Let's dig a little deeper here:

1) When were you diagnosed by a licensed medical practitioner with depression and anxiety? If the answer is "never formally", you're not treating yourself for any identified medical condition with marijuana.

2) How did you determine that marijuana was effective for depression and anxiety? Were you started on treatment by a licensed medical practitioner of some sort? If so, great! if not, see #2.

3) Before it was decriminalized, have you ever committed any crime, in any jurisdiction, for the acquisition, use, sale, or delivery of marijuana?

4) What alternatives have you tried for depression and anxiety? If the answer is "none, pot works fine", then you're preferring an illegal option over several very legal, very effective FDA-approved drugs, as well as other interventions like counseling or other nonpharmaceutical options.

5) Are depression and anxiety the only reasons you have ever used marijuana?

6) Can you proceed throughout the training, certification, and licensing processes without lying about any drug-related matter?

If you actually want to understand why you're almost certainly entirely unfit at the moment to treat others' healthcare problems, just answer these six questions honestly, and I'll be happy to explain why no one would ever 1) admit you to their program, 2) license you, or 3) hire you until that has demonstrably and unequivocally changed.

A majority of people probably want pot legalized, for one reason or another. But a much, much stronger majority do not want their healthcare providers currently dependent on marijuana. This is the world in which you live; how you react to it is up to you.

This^^^^^

Don't forget that PA schools require a thorough background check and DRUG SCREEN before any accepted student can matriculate. If they see something like that on you report you can bank on getting a letter from the program.

This is, I think, the 4th recent thread about marijuana use. The last one I saw on here was a student that had been accepted to a high quality program that was expecting a urine drug screen from him. He knew he would fail, freaked out and posted about it here. One adcom from the program he was accepted to frequents these forums. Needless to say, I haven't seem him post ever since.

You don't want a lecture, yet you deserve one. You want to practice medicine but you are unwilling to give up the use of a federally controlled illegal substance. From my training I have NEVER heard of THC being prescribed for anxiety and depression, only for chronic pain and for palliative care. So which is it? Are you in chronic pain or dying? OR are you simply unwilling to give up your illegal habit.

Yes, like other people have said, different states have different laws. Check into everything before giving up. Everyone has the occasional lapse in judgement and you shouldn't lose your dream career over this.
yea it happened in california and is treated like a traffic ticket

I'm going to go completely against the crowd and say I would have absolutely no problem having my medical provider use marijuana casually and in moderation, like alcohol. Despite what DARE programs want everyone to believe, marijuana (eaten or vaporized) is much less harmful than alcohol. I bet nobody in this thread would think twice about their provider having a drink or two with friends on the weekend. How is marijuana, from a purely medical standpoint, any different?

OP, I'd be more concerned about your depression and grammar errors than your marijuana use, honestly.

I wouldn't want a drug addict for a PA. I'm sorry to hear about your depression and all, but there are better ways of dealing with your problems than turning to drugs. If you can't follow a simple law about drug use, how can you be trusted with access to morphine and other opiates?

What a ridiculous post, sorry. Using marijuana equals being a drug addict? Especially when the individual blatantly states that it helps them? Bizarre. Always try and put the patient first. "a simple law", so interesting ... not including cigarettes, eh? Or alcohol? I guess you're just one of the sheeples. But what, go on drugs that have potential for worsening either the depression and anxiety, such as SSRIs, but it's okay because it makes money for the government? You're losing priorities. It's okay to give people narcotics (sometimes massive amounts) which are SO much higher on the dependence scale (nicotine is highest just above opiates, marijuana/thc is lowest) and which requires them to return for a monthly visit ever month so the provider/practice rolls in the cash? Bah. I'll never forget a lecture from a MD when I volunteered in a hospice ... "If a patient tells me that shark cartilage works for them, I will never have a problem with that".

To the OP, some practices/providers have no issues with providers smoking weed on their own time, and I've noticed on some workplace applications that they have a question specifically requesting offense information, but not including charges of possession of minor amounts in the prior 2 years. Then again, I know an ER Doc who was spur of the moment tested, and she came up positive for THC. She lost that job, but that hospital ended up closing down a year later anyways, and now she's Director of her own ER.

As for school, you'll need to quit. You'll never know if a rotation will require drug testing. Anyhow, think of it as being able to let go of something and be in control in alternate ways. I know one PA who had smoked weed his whole life, but took a 5 year break as he got deeper into his studies, for multiple reasons. Bottom line as far as personal use is school no, work possibly.

Not to be redundant, but if you want to work in the health-care field, illegal substances are not tolerated, but many anti anxiety medications are. Decide what is more important to you, consider the alternatives and go from there.

A direct quote or link would be appreciated, since you seem to have the inside scoop.

Archived