Need help negotiating an Ortho offer in FL!

Hey guys! I'm looking for some feedback. I recently received an offer at an Orthopedic practice in Florida which I would like to counter but as this is my first time negotiating I want to make sure I am asking a reasonable counter offer. I have 2 years experience working a combination of ortho/neuro/general surgery/internal medicine floor work (no OR) at a hospital and I did an orthopedic elective rotation in school.

The job would be Monday through Friday, hours varying depending on the day but generally ending clinic by 5 or 6 pm. No weekends, no holidays, no night call. I would first assist in the OR 2-3 mornings per week (and hence early 6-7 am mornings those days), with the afternoons dedicated to clinic. All the surgeries are outpatient so there is no hospital rounding. The expectation is to eventually get up to seeing somewhere around 20 patients in a half day (which after watching how the office functioned didn't seem as unreasonable as it sounds).

The offer:

Base salary $90K

Incentive of 10-20% of quarterly collections over $60K

Malpractice

License fees

$1500 CME

3 weeks PTO (CME time included in this)

Non-compete clause in orthopedics 1 year after termination (not a huge issue for me)

I really like the physician and the atmosphere in the clinic. I also think it would be a great learning experience and the physician is very willing to teach. I would be the only PA in the practice. The biggest issue with the offer is that the physician has 3 office locations, one of which is almost a 2.5 hour drive one way. The other two locations are within a reasonable driving distance. I was hoping to not have to go to the farthest location but they said they definitely want me to go there once a week for first assisting and clinic. So that is a round trip 5+ hour commute one day a week. They did mention the possibility of giving me the morning off the day after that long day, but that is still up in the air. They are open to other suggestions I have in terms of making that commute work for me. I would love to hear any suggestions you guys have as to things I should ask for. I was considering at least additional PTO since I have family in the Northeast and would have to travel to visit during the holidays. Please let me know if there is anything you think I should ask for or anything you wish you would have asked for!

Thanks!!!

Hey guys! I'm looking for some feedback. I recently received an offer at an Orthopedic practice in Florida which I would like to counter but as this is my first time negotiating I want to make sure I am asking a reasonable counter offer. I have 2 years experience working a combination of ortho/neuro/general surgery/internal medicine floor work (no OR) at a hospital and I did an orthopedic elective rotation in school.

The job would be Monday through Friday, hours varying depending on the day but generally ending clinic by 5 or 6 pm. No weekends, no holidays, no night call. I would first assist in the OR 2-3 mornings per week (and hence early 6-7 am mornings those days), with the afternoons dedicated to clinic. All the surgeries are outpatient so there is no hospital rounding. The expectation is to eventually get up to seeing somewhere around 20 patients in a half day (which after watching how the office functioned didn't seem as unreasonable as it sounds).

The offer:

Base salary $90K

Incentive of 10-20% of quarterly collections over $60K

Malpractice

License fees

$1500 CME

3 weeks PTO (CME time included in this)

Non-compete clause in orthopedics 1 year after termination (not a huge issue for me)

I really like the physician and the atmosphere in the clinic. I also think it would be a great learning experience and the physician is very willing to teach. I would be the only PA in the practice. The biggest issue with the offer is that the physician has 3 office locations, one of which is almost a 2.5 hour drive one way. The other two locations are within a reasonable driving distance. I was hoping to not have to go to the farthest location but they said they definitely want me to go there once a week for first assisting and clinic. So that is a round trip 5+ hour commute one day a week. They did mention the possibility of giving me the morning off the day after that long day, but that is still up in the air. They are open to other suggestions I have in terms of making that commute work for me. I would love to hear any suggestions you guys have as to things I should ask for. I was considering at least additional PTO since I have family in the Northeast and would have to travel to visit during the holidays. Please let me know if there is anything you think I should ask for or anything you wish you would have asked for!

Thanks!!!

You have worked for two years in a related field...isn't the pay they are offering closer to untrained new grad level? Do they reimburse fuel costs? 5 hr drive =@300 miles. Lets pretend you get 20 miles to the gallon, that makes it 15 gallons a week... $4/gallon = $60/week, $240/month, $3000 a year (50 work weeks) That isn't taking in oil changes and tire wear. Government reimbursement rate for POV use is $.50/mile.

Any ideas what ortho PAs make in your area?

You have worked for two years in a related field...isn't the pay they are offering closer to untrained new grad level? Do they reimburse fuel costs? 5 hr drive =@300 miles. Lets pretend you get 20 miles to the gallon, that makes it 15 gallons a week... $4/gallon = $60/week, $240/month, $3000 a year (50 work weeks) That isn't taking in oil changes and tire wear. Government reimbursement rate for POV use is $.50/mile.

Any ideas what ortho PAs make in your area?

I've never negotiated a PA contract, but I used to negotiate contracts as part of my prior job and I don't think it would be unreasonable to ask for some sort of extra per diem rate when you have to travel 2.5 hours away - enough to cover most if not all of driving (gas, tolls, wear&tear, etc.) and possible sleeping accommodations for the night prior to first assisting.

I've never negotiated a PA contract, but I used to negotiate contracts as part of my prior job and I don't think it would be unreasonable to ask for some sort of extra per diem rate when you have to travel 2.5 hours away - enough to cover most if not all of driving (gas, tolls, wear&tear, etc.) and possible sleeping accommodations for the night prior to first assisting.

Archived