Low GPA Neuroscience Major, Need advice.

So I will be graduating with a GPA of around 2.2 in Neuroscience, meaning the majority of my science and bio/chem requirements are met for PA school. I have taken 2 levels of physics, chem, multiple levels of bio and clearly a heavy neuro focus. I plan on getting my EMT certification this summer and taking the GRES no later than fall. After this Im thinking of getting a job in the healthcare field and working for a year. Realistically, with these considerations met, do I have a chance of getting into a PA school at all, any PA school. I am 24.

No chance at the moment. You'll need to retake the sciences courses that you got a C in (most schools will want atleast a B range for the majority of prerequisites, and you'll have to take other upper level sciences to boost your science GPA). You'll need to improve your GPA to around a 3.0 before you have any chance, and even then you will have to apply to schools that have lower GPA requirements/student averages, value healthcare experience (assuming you have a lot by then), and who look at your most recent 60 credit hours, assuming you ace every class from here on out.

It's a numbers game. Get your HCE as an EMT. In the meantime retake the prerequisites for PA school you got less than a B in. However it's going to important how you do this. So you know that you've taken +/- 120 units to graduate. The next step is calculating how many units you need to take and at what average GPA to bring your c/sGPA within striking range (3.0). Once you discover that number (probably around 110 units) you can plan your next step. My advice is to repeate your prerequisites after you complete lets say a masters or post bach classes because you don't want them to hit the 5 year expiration date and have to retake classes for a third time.

bad news is you can't get in this year. Good new is that you are young and with an immense amount of focus and determination you can get in next year but more than likely in the cycle for April 2015 as you have alot of courses to retake/take. If I were you I was retake and class I received a C or lower in, starting with the science courses first. I would also get a cna license quickly (some training programs are as short as 4 days!) and work as a cna part time a few hours a week. Also, take a day to shadow a PA in a specialty you think you would like and see if your really up for this challenge. Good luck!

bad news is you can't get in this year. Good new is that you are young and with an immense amount of focus and determination you can get in next year but more than likely in the cycle for April 2015 as you have alot of courses to retake/take. If I were you I was retake and class I received a C or lower in, starting with the science courses first. I would also get a cna license quickly (some training programs are as short as 4 days!) and work as a cna part time a few hours a week. Also, take a day to shadow a PA in a specialty you think you would like and see if your really up for this challenge. Good luck!

The chance of OP getting in even next year is virtually zero. It's likely to take several years filled with upper level sciences and paid HCE to begin overcoming that GPA.

• 4 weeks later...

There are some schools that look at your more grades in specific ways, such as:

http://www.pacificu.edu/pa/admission/criteria/index.cfm

[h=2]Strength and Breadth of Academic Record[/h]All prerequisite courses and degrees must be completed before spring term of the intended year of entry with a "C" grade or higher. Admitted students must be able to provide a final official transcript showing all prerequisite courses completed prior to May 1 of the year of entry.

You may only have up to two prerequisite classes in progress at the time of application.

The CASPA Science (Biology, Chemistry and Physics) GPA and Last 45 Credits GPA must be a 2.75 or higher to apply.

There are some schools that look at your more grades in specific ways, such as:

http://www.pacificu.edu/pa/admission/criteria/index.cfm

[h=2]Strength and Breadth of Academic Record[/h]All prerequisite courses and degrees must be completed before spring term of the intended year of entry with a "C" grade or higher. Admitted students must be able to provide a final official transcript showing all prerequisite courses completed prior to May 1 of the year of entry.

You may only have up to two prerequisite classes in progress at the time of application.

The CASPA Science (Biology, Chemistry and Physics) GPA and Last 45 Credits GPA must be a 2.75 or higher to apply.

To the OP: I think you need a plan B. You would probably have trouble getting into any graduate program (PA or other) with a GPA of 2.2. Maybe it's just time for a job, some maturing, and maybe getting some healthcare experience (either as your job or as a second gig). In my case, I started out volunteering in a hospital and eventually working part-time in EMS.

Don't fret. Life goes on. Probably time to go on with it and just see what happens next.

Good luck.

To the OP: I think you need a plan B. You would probably have trouble getting into any graduate program (PA or other) with a GPA of 2.2. Maybe it's just time for a job, some maturing, and maybe getting some healthcare experience (either as your job or as a second gig). In my case, I started out volunteering in a hospital and eventually working part-time in EMS.

Don't fret. Life goes on. Probably time to go on with it and just see what happens next.

Good luck.

Look... If you want to do it then get 'er done. I had a 2.31 undergrad GPA. It took some work and a number of years but I made it. If you want it bad enough nothing will hold you back. Just need to be smart about how you do it.

110 units is easy to fill up.. Get a BSN or a BS in something healthcare related. Then do your prerequisites or get into a MSMS or MHS program and the now you're at 110 units, a healthcare related degree, solid HCE, and a masters when you're ready to apply. Some schools will focus on your last 60 units, some only on the prerequisites, and others just may have lower min cGPA cut-off and focus on either HCE or the applicant.

Moral of the story, don't let anyone tell you can or can't do something.. You find a way and you make it happen... Don't go for the short cut either.. You'll only be wasting your time.. Do it right and do it only one time..

Look... If you want to do it then get 'er done. I had a 2.31 undergrad GPA. It took some work and a number of years but I made it. If you want it bad enough nothing will hold you back. Just need to be smart about how you do it.

110 units is easy to fill up.. Get a BSN or a BS in something healthcare related. Then do your prerequisites or get into a MSMS or MHS program and the now you're at 110 units, a healthcare related degree, solid HCE, and a masters when you're ready to apply. Some schools will focus on your last 60 units, some only on the prerequisites, and others just may have lower min cGPA cut-off and focus on either HCE or the applicant.

Moral of the story, don't let anyone tell you can or can't do something.. You find a way and you make it happen... Don't go for the short cut either.. You'll only be wasting your time.. Do it right and do it only one time..

A lot of schools won't even see your application because they screen them out automatically by making a cut-off point. Sorry but like everyone else said, 2.2 is not going to get you in. PA school is HARD and you beed to prove to schools that you can handle a heavy course load and get A, B in your classes (more A's than B's). I suggest a post-grad program, retake all pre-reqs, and get all A's if you really want this.

A lot of schools won't even see your application because they screen them out automatically by making a cut-off point. Sorry but like everyone else said, 2.2 is not going to get you in. PA school is HARD and you beed to prove to schools that you can handle a heavy course load and get A, B in your classes (more A's than B's). I suggest a post-grad program, retake all pre-reqs, and get all A's if you really want this.

Timon: Just out of curiousity...how long did it take you from graduation to applying for PA schools?

Well I changed careers after 12 years working in business. Graduated with my BA in 2002, MBA 2004-2006, 34 Unit post Bach April 2011- October 2011 (took accellerated courses and online courses at the same time). Applied October 2011 didn't get in. Applied this cycle in June 2012 and accepted in November 2012.

Timon: Just out of curiousity...how long did it take you from graduation to applying for PA schools?

Well I changed careers after 12 years working in business. Graduated with my BA in 2002, MBA 2004-2006, 34 Unit post Bach April 2011- October 2011 (took accellerated courses and online courses at the same time). Applied October 2011 didn't get in. Applied this cycle in June 2012 and accepted in November 2012.

Thanks for the reply - was the 34 unit post-bach enough to bring your GPA above a 3.0? Did you do anything between October 2011 - June 2012, such as taking more classes?

Archived