Low GPA Neuroscience Major, Need advice.

Well I changed careers after 12 years working in business. Graduated with my BA in 2002, MBA 2004-2006, 34 Unit post Bach April 2011- October 2011 (took accellerated courses and online courses at the same time). Applied October 2011 didn't get in. Applied this cycle in June 2012 and accepted in November 2012.

Thanks for the reply - was the 34 unit post-bach enough to bring your GPA above a 3.0? Did you do anything between October 2011 - June 2012, such as taking more classes?

Thanks for the reply - was the 34 unit post-bach enough to bring your GPA above a 3.0? Did you do anything between October 2011 - June 2012, such as taking more classes?

No I got in with a 2.93 cGPA. I had planned on taking another 16 units to make it above a 3.0 but applied anyway this cycle thinking I wasn't going to receive an interview let alone be accepted. Luckily one school actually looked at my application and interviewed me.

In October 2011 I got my phlebotomy license. In January 2012 I took a 1 month long EKG Tech National License course. Then in February 2012 to March 2012 I took a 4 week EMT-B class then wrapped that up with ACLS, PALS, and NRP 3 immediate 3 days after completing the course and then took my NREMT 2 days after that. I landed a job as an ER Tech in April 2012 and Started in May 2012. I picked up as much OT as I could and applied June 28th with 414ish HCE. Offered an interview in August for Oct 17th, 2012 then got my acceptance November 3rd 2012.

So in a nutshell I quit my job and sold my house / closed escrow April 2011. Took classes from April 2011-Oct 2011. Got certifications Oct 2011-March 2012. then worked full-time from May 2012 until present. I also plan on staying per diem while in PA school working one 6 hour shift every 1.5 months but I'm taking a LOA for the first 6 months of school.

No I got in with a 2.93 cGPA. I had planned on taking another 16 units to make it above a 3.0 but applied anyway this cycle thinking I wasn't going to receive an interview let alone be accepted. Luckily one school actually looked at my application and interviewed me.

In October 2011 I got my phlebotomy license. In January 2012 I took a 1 month long EKG Tech National License course. Then in February 2012 to March 2012 I took a 4 week EMT-B class then wrapped that up with ACLS, PALS, and NRP 3 immediate 3 days after completing the course and then took my NREMT 2 days after that. I landed a job as an ER Tech in April 2012 and Started in May 2012. I picked up as much OT as I could and applied June 28th with 414ish HCE. Offered an interview in August for Oct 17th, 2012 then got my acceptance November 3rd 2012.

So in a nutshell I quit my job and sold my house / closed escrow April 2011. Took classes from April 2011-Oct 2011. Got certifications Oct 2011-March 2012. then worked full-time from May 2012 until present. I also plan on staying per diem while in PA school working one 6 hour shift every 1.5 months but I'm taking a LOA for the first 6 months of school.

Wow, congratulations! That's awesome. I'm glad to hear that, because I'm in a similar situation. I have a 2.5 GPA coming out of undergrad, and after speaking with a few different PA school advisors, they recommended that I do not re-take my sciences and focus on upper div sciences. I'm so glad to hear that there was at least one PA program willing to let you in despite a lower-than 3.0 GPA, especially because I am also a paramedic and am certified in some of the stuff you mentioned. Needless to say, I still have some work to do regarding bringing up my GPA but hearing that makes it sound a little bit less scary! :smile:

Archived