Really Low GPA, what are my chances. Plz be honest.

Hello all! I have an bachelor's in economics and do not like what i do so i'm looking into possible career changes. the idea of being a physician assistant is my top choice but i need to know how realistic it is. when i was in undergrad i graduated with a GPA above but near a 2.0 maybe a 2.1 but no higher for sure. the econ program only required a 2.0 so i did just enough to get by. i regret that now but i can't undo it. so, realistically speaking, what are my chances? i would have to take all the prerequisites and lets say best case scenario i get all As on those. would my econ degree GPA hold me back? please be honest, I'm a big boy...i can take it.

Thanks!

Since you have been out of school for more than a few years, I think if you worked really hard and take all the pre-requisites starting from the beginning, do extremely well, that will be a good indication. However, you will still need health care hours in the mean time, a competitive GRE scores, and great letters of recommendation. I think you can do it if you are determined, but it will take some time. Good luck!

Usually candidates with lower GPAs need to balance it out with many hours (2000+) of solid healthcare experience as an EMT, CNA, RRT, RN, etc. Just something to keep in mind. You can do it, but it would likely involve you getting a certification in one of the above fields, working at least 1-2 years full-time in healthcare with that certification, taking 30-40 credits of sciences and getting an A in each class, getting great letters of recommendation, and several other things. You will likely have to devote 2-4 years of your life to getting into PA school. It all comes down to how bad you want it and how hard you are willing to work for it.

It's a numbers game. Basically you're going to need to take a lot of classes and get a 4.0 to balance it out. The mark is a 3.0 that you need to hit all while collecting paid direct hands on patient healthcare experience. So to put it bluntly you're going to need to take at minimum 120 units and receive a 4.0 to be considered by most PA programs. So becoming a PA is a process not a quick fix.

My suggestion for you is to get an AS or BS as a RT or some type of allied health field where you're going to get a letter grade which will help increase your GPA. Land a job in whatever you graduate with and build up your patient care hours. Next try to get into one of these MHS or MSMS programs that are 1 year masters programs that get you a guaranteed interview at a PA school once completed.

Or you can always become a pacemaker tech... $95k salary in Ca and only takes 5 months to get certified.

I guess it's worth noting that there are some schools (probably less than 10% of them) that have a cum/sci GPA of 2.7 as the minimum requirement. Also, there are a few schools for which they only have a requirement for science GPA, so theoretically you could get your science GPA above 3.0 and would be eligible. However, even for these schools the average GPA is well above the reported minimum.

Usually candidates with lower GPAs need to balance it out with many hours (2000+) of solid healthcare experience as an EMT, CNA, RRT, RN, etc.

A lot of applicants think like this, but it does not work out that way. If your primary weakness is GPA, you need to fix your GPA. If your primary weakness is experience, you need better experience. Someone with a blemished academic record will usually need both.

The first thing that you need to convince a PA school is that you will survive the curriculum. Based on your current record, they will not be able to assess that.

A lot of applicants think like this, but it does not work out that way. If your primary weakness is GPA, you need to fix your GPA. If your primary weakness is experience, you need better experience. Someone with a blemished academic record will usually need both.

The first thing that you need to convince a PA school is that you will survive the curriculum. Based on your current record, they will not be able to assess that.

It must depend upon the school. Several schools that I have spoken both in person and over the phone when I was going through the admissions process have told me that those with lower GPAs tend to need to have more HCE to have a decent chance at acceptance, while those with higher GPAs can sometimes get away with having fewer hours. Of course, its best to have as high a GPA and as many hours as possible.

I agree with most of the posts. Try to take as many classes as you can and do really well in them. Although most schools say that the cut off is 3.00 etc., it's much more competitive. My friend has a 3.46 and was wait listed. The admissions director said that she needed to bring her GPA up. Remember, CASPA calculates GPA by including every class, including the ones that were retaken.

Your stats only get you an interview. They do not have any weight after that for the most part. The issue is that the OP won't get a chance to interview. Here's what I mean by that, one school ill leave nameless has a min GPA requirement of 2.7 but they interview everyone starting with a 3.4 GPA then work their way down once all 3.4 GPA applicants have been interviewed. Another program has a min GPA cutoff of 2.5 with a 3.0 for A&P / Micro, however they give preference to those who've taken classes at that school and who live within the school district, after that its a lottery. Another program has a cutoff of 2.67 and its rolling admissions and they look at the entire applicant. The issue is finding programs like the 3rd one I mentioned because most programs are like the 1st school that starts with the 3.4 GPAs first.

Yes some programs put weight on your last 40-60 units. You'll need to find those programs to stand a chance. Because there is a min GPA cutoff does not mean that you'll still have a chance to interview. Each year it's getting more competitive. GPAs are getting higher, HCE are greater, and new / additional requirements added and programs becoming more selective in who they consider due to an abundant supply of applicants has narrow the elasticity of the applicant pool.

What the consensus is the OP will need to gain a lot of HCE to offset the fact it will be near impossible to reach the median accepted GPA of 3.4. This along with no room for error in regards to grades. Because even with a 3.0 the OP is going to have a difficult time being considered by a program without the HCe to offset it.

Sorry to be the realist here, but needing 120 credits of 4.0 work just to meet the minimum requirements is a MASSIVE hole to climb out of. Have you considered other allied health professions? Even if you manage to bring your GPA up, 3.0 isn't competitive for most RN programs, let alone PA school.

You basically need to do a second(and heck, maybe even a third) degree with all As to get your GPA to somewhere that will keep your app from being tossed in the garbage as soon as you pay the submission fees. Take all of the pre-reqs and hard upper level sciences. Along with that, you need to start working in a patient care position and get many, many hours of HCE. You have to do everything you can to distance yourself from your previous poor performance. Can it be done? Yep. You have to decide whether you have the resilience to do it.

Why PA? What drives you? Will that drive be enough to get you through the slog? With the HUGE amount of other well paying medical jobs that are out there, what motivates you to set your sights on being a PA?

I ask this because it plays into the "what are my chances?" question...If you think that the job sounds interesting and you're curious to give it a go, I would venture to say you don't have a snowball's chance in Hades. You're seriously looking at least 3 years of nose to the grind stone, stressing every grade, studying in a field that is a foreign language, before you even get a remote chance to submit an application. If (big IF) you get selected, then it's another 24-30 months of more grinding away. Trust me when I say "it's a long, exhausting path". So right off the bat you're eyeballing of not having much of a personal life. Will the interest for PA still be there?

If you're answer to "why PA" and you truly believe that this is your ticket...that some Great Spirit grabbed your soul and has injected the need to heal the sick, then I say you have a chance...just won't happen for awhile and only after many years of very hard work.

Personally, I vote that you build on your existing degree but put a medical twist on it...the Affordable Care Act is re writing healthcare compensation in every state of the Union. Clinics, hospitals..everywhere. As much as there is a demand for health care providers to absorb this coming rush of newly insured patients who will be shoulder to shoulder with the retiring baby boomer generation, there will be a need for administrators who can keep the lights on and doors open.

Why PA? What drives you? Will that drive be enough to get you through the slog? With the HUGE amount of other well paying medical jobs that are out there, what motivates you to set your sights on being a PA?

I ask this because it plays into the "what are my chances?" question...If you think that the job sounds interesting and you're curious to give it a go, I would venture to say you don't have a snowball's chance in Hades. You're seriously looking at least 3 years of nose to the grind stone, stressing every grade, studying in a field that is a foreign language, before you even get a remote chance to submit an application. If (big IF) you get selected, then it's another 24-30 months of more grinding away. Trust me when I say "it's a long, exhausting path". So right off the bat you're eyeballing of not having much of a personal life. Will the interest for PA still be there?

If you're answer to "why PA" and you truly believe that this is your ticket...that some Great Spirit grabbed your soul and has injected the need to heal the sick, then I say you have a chance...just won't happen for awhile and only after many years of very hard work.

Personally, I vote that you build on your existing degree but put a medical twist on it...the Affordable Care Act is re writing healthcare compensation in every state of the Union. Clinics, hospitals..everywhere. As much as there is a demand for health care providers to absorb this coming rush of newly insured patients who will be shoulder to shoulder with the retiring baby boomer generation, there will be a need for administrators who can keep the lights on and doors open.

"you don't have a snowball's chance in Hades"...doesn't get more honest than that lol. I appreciate it thou. You present an interesting point of view, what (specifically) would you suggest that I have a better chance at in my current situation? Any suggestions would be welcomed. I looked into HC administrator but they have a 3.0 requirement before getting into the masters program.

Thanks!

some programs weight the last 60 units most heavily. look into those programs and ace those 60 units.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've looked at all the PA programs within NC and on their admission requirements page there is no mention of this last 60 units business. Is this something programs publish or something i have to call to find out. I don't mind calling, just wondering if you're referring to a specific program.

Thanks for your help :)

I was thinking HC administration, did not know the requirements for the masters. What would it take to get a Bachelors in it, and would that be enough to get your foot in the door of a clinic working, then do an online program for your masters?

if your degree is ignored, can you get into nursing? Electro-physiology? Bio medical engineering? Surgical technician, occupational therapy, respiratory therapy, paramedic? Enlist as a Navy Hospital Corpsman, do online classes while serving.

Archived