Moat Unusual Career Before Becoming a PA

Ahhhh, nope. About 10-18 years too late.

Ya your friend was there back when they had guns.. We didn't have guns when I was there so I had to do they "hey mom!" Joke in the hippo pool. Sometimes I'd have everyone listen and not do the punch line (made it funnier for the annual pass holders).

I was a cable splicer for 13 years and did that up to a week before starting PA school. Had the phone company pay for my bachelors degree in Organizational Management, then took the prereqs in the evening after that. But fell in love with medicine as a Corpsman 20 years ago, and finally fulfilling the dream.

Ya your friend was there back when they had guns.. We didn't have guns when I was there so I had to do they "hey mom!" Joke in the hippo pool. Sometimes I'd have everyone listen and not do the punch line (made it funnier for the annual pass holders).

That's cruel. LOL!! I thought there was something missing last time I went. Huh hmm. NRA didn't lobby at Disney.

My friend was a bartender at a strip club lol. In her defense, she worked at a hospital for a year and a half and then started working as a bartender AFTER she was accepted to PA school in order to save up more money. She would make a few thousand a night!
poledancersmilie.gif LOL Sorry I couldn't resist ...

Lets see, I was a maintenance man for a trailer park (which involved a lot of cutting grass). I was a janitor in the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville Fl. I built swimming pools for a couple of years (dig a big hole, lay down steel, plumb it, and shoot it with concrete). I've spent the last 20 years in the USAF as a medic, currently on terminal leave = retired.

Never a stripper though.

I think this may be one of my favorite threads on the forum. So many stories that I would love to hear from y'all.

I am pretty boring...medicine for most of my life. I did start working on farms around the age of 8 to 16 for a variety of wages (lowest was a buck/day). Hard work, blisters, and the smell of animal manure are good lessons during those early life years.

In the summers I'm a whitewater raft guide on the Tuolumne river in Yosemite as well as the Kings River in Kings Canyon National Park. I was also a backcountry snowmobile guide as well as a trout fishing guide near Mammoth Lakes CA. Before that I was a motorcycle technician in a few import bike shops. For a year I was a truck driver for Coors/Miller. The pay sucked but I sure wasn't complaining about all the free beer.

In the summers I'm a whitewater raft guide on the Tuolumne river in Yosemite as well as the Kings River in Kings Canyon National Park. I was also a backcountry snowmobile guide as well as a trout fishing guide near Mammoth Lakes CA. Before that I was a motorcycle technician in a few import bike shops. For a year I was a truck driver for Coors/Miller. The pay sucked but I sure wasn't complaining about all the free beer.

Q: What is a raft guide's favorite kind of beer?

A: Raft guide's have two favorite kinds... 1. Free 2. The next one

• Administrator

I was doing computer security for a Fortune 100 company. That involved social engineering my way into data centers, speaking at national conferences, being a registered locksmith, breaking into computers from half a world away, reading other people's email without their knowledge, hardening our critical infrastructure against Stuxnet-like worms 10 years ahead of time, plotting how to defend against mobile phone viruses, and stuff that's still so sensitive I can't talk about it. Oh, and a bunch of boring stuff like writing policies and winning bets with my subordinates about whether it was 'HIPPA' or 'HIPAA'...

Hahahaha. Sound like someone has been on a rafting trip. When camping out in the middle of nowhere and spending multiple days on the river at a time the answer is COLD!

I guided for a couple of summers back east...I also married a former guide. She worked in Cali for Whitewater Voyages in the mid 90's and in Utah.

Q: What is the difference between a raft guide and a large pizza?

A: The pizza can feed a family of four

Archived