Anatomy Difficulties Please Help!!

Hello All,

I wanted to give an update on my Anatomy class. I also wanted to let you all know that I appreciate your suggestions because they were all very helpful, however I was not able to pull my grade up in such a short amount of time. It was entirely my fault and I should have reached out for help sooner. I did show some progress though and the concepts were starting to make sense to me, but it was too late:( I am blessed to be in a program that will allow me to repeat the class next year since I was showing some improvement thanks to you guys:) I have also been dealing with anxiety issues, so I need to learn to calm down before taking my exams. I now have the weapons to kick some Anatomy butt next year:)

Hello All,

I wanted to give an update on my Anatomy class. I also wanted to let you all know that I appreciate your suggestions because they were all very helpful, however I was not able to pull my grade up in such a short amount of time. It was entirely my fault and I should have reached out for help sooner. I did show some progress though and the concepts were starting to make sense to me, but it was too late:( I am blessed to be in a program that will allow me to repeat the class next year since I was showing some improvement thanks to you guys:) I have also been dealing with anxiety issues, so I need to learn to calm down before taking my exams. I now have the weapons to kick some Anatomy butt next year:)

Get help for the test anxiety before it is too late. several students in my program were allowed to take the exam in private because of anxiety issues. Also, you may seen a psycholigist/counselor about this issue for more help.

Just read over this entire thread.

two things jump out at me

#1 PA school is really hard and you need to study study study to get through it - there is no coasting like in undergrad, there is no just breezing through - you have to live, eat, think and breath PA school for the academic portion - it is only 12-16 months so just pony up and do it - it is worth it!

#2 Anatomy (gross) is nothing but hours and hours and hours of memorization. There is really no short cut, no easy way. Certainly helps to try all different ways as it does make a difference to know how you learn. This is likely one of the first times that you will be presented with more information then you can learn and having the most effecient ways to learn does help.

Just me personally - I would study before and after classes, take a break for meals and then fall asleep on the books at 11pm.... I had been an elite level enduarance athlete prior to school and I think the effort to get through PA school was more then a 20 hour training week. It helped to know and constantly remind myself the pain was temporary and the PA is for my whole life - that and a goot close circle of friends (other students) to go out and "blow off steam with" on friday nights....... :-) I almost miss those days!

Just Steve,

What a great website for learning Anatomy! As a matter of fact, all the websites that have been suggested are wonderful and I have been using all of them!

Iain1028

I just purchased a white board and it is very helpful:)

MCHAD,

I am definitely going to see someone about my anxiety. It is funny because I didn't have any anxiety issues prior to PA school, however as soon as I took my first exam, my heart starting pounding and I felt so dizzy:( I started reading a book called "Study Without Stress Mastering Medical Sciences" by Kathleen Straker and Eugenia Kelman. This book has been very helpful and offers tips to help ease anxiety before taking test specifically for medical students. Some of my classmates have to take their exams in a different room too for anxiety. Next year I will be doing the same:)

Ventana,

Yes, I used to sleep with my books everynight:) One thing that you mentioned that I lacked doing was reading the lecture material before and after class. The "Study Without Stress" book also suggested pre reading before every lecture.

PA school has been a very humbling experience for me. I used to be on the top of my class during my undergraduate years and now I am at the bottom of the barrel in PA school. I remember wanting to leave school so many times because I was so overwhelmed and just felt STUPID. I used to beat myself up constantly and study harder, however it just increased my anxiety. So now I have to repeat the semester over, but I am thankful that my program offered me a seat. I have worked too hard to get here and being a PA is what I have wanted to do since I started attending college. I am not going to give up and I appreciate all of you taking the time to help me. It has truly been a blessing:) Happy Holidays to all of you!

Archived