Question regarding 3 year and 5 year PA programs

Here are my stats:

high school graduation year: 1997

state of residence: PA

high school GPA: 3.6

I never went to college but I am interested in applying to the PA programs. I read somewhere that I can apply to the 5 year BS/MS or 3 year PA programs in which I can take the required prerequisites. I don't have any clinical experience.

Will PA schools accept a 1997 high school graduate?

Will schools take an SAT score from 1997?

Is an associates or certificate degree any good when it comes time to find employment as a physician's assistant?

Can anyone please direct me to a school with a BS/MS PA program?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

thank you.

In PA, there are a few schools that offer a 5 year program: Kings, Duquesne, Gannon. You should contact them for admission's information since you would be coming in as a freshman in college. In the interim, you might want to shadow a Physician Assistant to see if this is what you truly want to do. Shadow several, in different areas of medicine. Get informed to make sure this is what you want (5 years of school is costly). Without a college degree, I'm not sure you would qualify for a 2 or 3 year program - most require not only pre-reqs but degrees. Again, it is best to call/email the schools you are interested in to get the most up to date information. You can go to the PAEA website http://www.paeaonline.org/ to obtain info regarding schools in your area. Also, you may want to start seeking out ways to get some good, quality health care experience. This should also help you to know if this is an area you definitely want to go into to. If you can't find a paid HCE position, then volunteer. Good luck!

• Administrator

The three year program I looked at just split didactic across two years, gave you your summers off, and was generally the same material as a "normal" 2 year master's program in a three year format.

To answer your other questions:

* Not yet, not without HCE and/or a bachelor's degree. For all practical purposes few programs will even consider you at this point--except perhaps the 5 year programs.

* Each school makes their own policies, but standardized test scores over 5 years old aren't accepted anywhere I've looked at.

* In most states the degree doesn't matter. But the AS/Certificate programs aren't targeted at you.

* University of New England has a Bachelor's/Master's option, in addition to the others listed above.

... and forgive my math, but are you saying that at age 36 now (Born in '76/77) you graduated 15.5 years ago at age 20/21?

The three year program I looked at just split didactic across two years, gave you your summers off, and was generally the same material as a "normal" 2 year master's program in a three year format.

I did the 3 yr option at hahnemann/drexel. we did class on campus 3 days/week for 2 years. we were off the first summer and then started clinicals summer #2 along with the regular students who had just completed first yr.

I worked 24-30 hrs week the first 2 years(full time the first summer) and very few shifts 3rd yr, mostly concert stand-bys.

I am very much interested in becoming a PA and I do know how the health care system works and how patients go through the system. I know because I have personal experience observing doctors. I also know the basic medical model of disorders. My only question is will I have to extract blood from patients or will nurses do that. Right now, I don't feel comfortable sticking needles into people. maybe that will change once I practice on models.

I will look into the 5 year programs mentioned and if I should have any more questions, I will post it here. thanks again.

... and forgive my math, but are you saying that at age 36 now (Born in '76/77) you graduated 15.5 years ago at age 20/21?

This, the apostrophe, drawing blood and ”scienceguru” with only a HS education?

Me confused....feels kinda squatchy

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

Archived