Best HCE for pre-PA if $$$ IS a factor

mfields started a thread called "Best HCE for pre-PA if $$$ is NOT a factor", http://www.physicianassistantforum.com/forums/showthread.php/38279-Best-HCE-for-pre-PA-if-is-not-a-factor well I want to start a NEW thread, what is the "Best HCE for pre-PA's IF $$$ IS a factor?

Sorry Steve, what I meant to type, "What is the Best HCE for pre-PA's IF $$$ IS a factor WITHOUT any military experience.

Uncle Sam paid me a salary, paid for my Corpsman training, fed me, clothed me, allowed me to travel, exposed me to outstanding medical experiences, trained me further as a surgical tech, had tuition reimbursement while on active duty then the GI bill after active duty. Not saying the almighty dollar is the only reason to enter the military, but if you choose to go that route, you will get excellent medical training AND make money in the process.

Nuclear medicine technology or physical therapists make good money too.

"Problem" is that the ones that make the most money require the most significant up front investment....at which point, after you've graduated the school, and worked in the profession for a significant amount of time, you're talking 4 years down the road.

My understanding is that PT is now a doctorate program. Their income may be decent but if you're going to do PT then PA, you should just go to med school. (when comparing that much time and money)

In 1990 Navy boot camp was something like 10 weeks. Hospital Corps school was 14 weeks. In a four year enlistment, you can rack up 3.5 years of intensive experience with no school debt AND money in the bank..plus college pretty much paid for via the GI Bill benefits...plus Veteran preference..plus VA loan for a home...plus serving your country...plus life experiences that will making writing a PS a breeze...plus easy access back to the military as a PA if you want when it's all done.

There is just that small issue of working for Uncle Sam. Never quite sure where you will end up. Could be hanging out in tropical ports far from the smell of gunpowder for four years or you could be spitting out sand after tearing open trauma bandages with your teeth while treating your wounded buddy hoping that air support can get in to you.

My understanding is that PT is now a doctorate program. Their income may be decent but if you're going to do PT then PA, you should just go to med school. (when comparing that much time and money)

In 1990 Navy boot camp was something like 10 weeks. Hospital Corps school was 14 weeks. In a four year enlistment, you can rack up 3.5 years of intensive experience with no school debt AND money in the bank..plus college pretty much paid for via the GI Bill benefits...plus Veteran preference..plus VA loan for a home...plus serving your country...plus life experiences that will making writing a PS a breeze...plus easy access back to the military as a PA if you want when it's all done.

There is just that small issue of working for Uncle Sam. Never quite sure where you will end up. Could be hanging out in tropical ports far from the smell of gunpowder for four years or you could be spitting out sand after tearing open trauma bandages with your teeth while treating your wounded buddy hoping that air support can get in to you.

Army medic training is 16 weeks and 2 days in San Antonio after 9 weeks of basic training. We had prior Navy Corpsmen in our AIT class. We also earned an EMT-B in two months. I did 4 years but I found out that there were much shorter enlistments. Some people only signed up for 2 years, so when they got back from our 15 month deployment with combat medic experience they were on their way out of the military with all the same benefits Just Steve mentioned. Additionally some people got their first duty station as part of their enlistment contract.

I assumed you were not in the military, I tossed it out there as an option for you to join as it relieves most, if not all, your concerns about money and experience and has extra perks But I can see that you have no desire to explore that option and it is not for everyone.

Good luck

Your assumption is correct, Steve I am not in the military and have no desire, although I commend that do. Thanks

Some PA schools also accept phlebotomy for HCE. It's a relatively inexpensive certification process (1 semester at an accredited school, plus a half semester externship in the hospital). I'm doing my externship right now and I'm really enjoying all the hands-on experience I'm getting with patients & drawing blood. I'll be eligible to apply for national certification once my externship is complete. I've really enjoyed talking to the staff at the hospital and learn what it's like in the real world. It's a good way to network as well. Pay varies, depending on your hospital.

I'm going this route because there's such a long wait to get into the RN program. I want to finish my BSN and work as a nurse before PA school. So, instead of just waiting, I'm able to get HCE without having such a huge financial commitment like some other programs. I went through my local community college to do this. While I wouldn't say it's better experience than RN or Paramedic, it's at least something that will help get HCE without as much out-of-pocket expense.

Some PA schools also accept phlebotomy for HCE. It's a relatively inexpensive certification process (1 semester at an accredited school, plus a half semester externship in the hospital). I'm doing my externship right now and I'm really enjoying all the hands-on experience I'm getting with patients & drawing blood. I'll be eligible to apply for national certification once my externship is complete. I've really enjoyed talking to the staff at the hospital and learn what it's like in the real world. It's a good way to network as well. Pay varies, depending on your hospital.

I'm going this route because there's such a long wait to get into the RN program. I want to finish my BSN and work as a nurse before PA school. So, instead of just waiting, I'm able to get HCE without having such a huge financial commitment like some other programs. I went through my local community college to do this. While I wouldn't say it's better experience than RN or Paramedic, it's at least something that will help get HCE without as much out-of-pocket expense.

Thanks for your excellent advise, I will definitely look into it. :wink:

Archived