Bad student, trying to turn things around, is there hope?

Hello forums,

I was a bad college student, my cum is 2.44 but my sciences are 2.5. I was wondering what I should do now. Are there any programs in that range that I can go to?

Also do you suggest work experience? I have work experience working as a genetic lab tech, as well as tons of volunteer experience and job shadowing experience.

I had another question. The schools I applied to didnt ask for GRE scores, but do you think I should take the GRE. If I do well on the GRE will that show that I can be a good student, and schools will take that into consideration when deciding in acceptance.

Also the MCAT too. Is it possible for me to study for the MCAT and take that, will that show the same if say I am able to score a 30?

Please let me know if that is possible.

Thank you.

I think the best way is to retake the classes or go to post grad take more science classes to boost up your GPA because a lot of schools now base on system like "weed" out those applications do not qualify the hours and GPA so they won't even have chance to look at your application .

Lab tech hours do not count as HCE in PA school.

Don't take MCAT because you might have to face question that you fail to get into Med school.

True, but that might be many years of going to school. I can only take a few classes if that at a time because of work. Are there any programs that are more accepting to people with lower gpas?

Yes but there are still limits. You need to work on acquiring thousands of paid HCE hours while taking upper level sciences to distance yourself from the bad grades even if it won't budge your GPA much. Also look into DO school since their apps do grade replacement.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Go to MD school in the Caribbean instead? Or get a Masters in something else and show you can handle high level graduate work? Very hard to get that GPA up to PA min requirements. Unless you take a lot of classes. Doesnt hurt to apply and find out what schools say. You never know what a PD will accept.

I think the referring to DO and MD school comments were more related to the fact he probably could get into those schools easier than a PA school these days with his very low GPA. For what he will need to do to get his GPA up for PA admmission he might as well go to MD school and make more income. PA school entrance is almost more difficult these days to get into than the DO schools which are opening as fast as PA programs are currently. Just my 2 cents. I prefer PA profession too!

2.44 GPA and 0 paid direct patient contact HCE won't cut it. You need to raise up your GPA and show that you're a different student today then you were when you got that 2.44. What you need to do is calculate how many credits with whatever GPA you want to plug in would it take for you to at least raise your cGPA to a 2.80 (preferably a 3.0+).

I had a 2.31 cGPA during my undergrad... It took me 90 units to raise my GPA to something a committee would consider (2.93 cGPA) and that was with a 3.69 masters (MBA) and a 4.0 post back all science prerequisites. Most schools didnt even consider my application.. (They may list a min 2.7 GPA requirement but in reality they will interview higher GPAs first) and why wouldn't they when every year people are applying with more HCE and higher GPAs than the year prior. Programs want to make sure their students are able to pass the PANCE their first attempt. its their core measurement for success most the time.

Right now your application shows you're a 2.44 student who hasn't touched a patient. My suggestion to you is take classes an RT or RN or some other allied healthcare field to raise your GPA, which will allow for you to gain high quality healthcare experience as well. By the time you're ready to apply you'll have HCE, a higher GPA, and a fall back plan to hold you over financially while trying to get in.

You ARE capable to get into a PA program but you're fighting an uphill battle and need to embrace that. You'll need to put in some work to get to that point where you can make an argument for yourself that you belong in that program and here is what I've done to justify that. Don't look for short cuts because there is a good chance of it backfiring on you and you'll look back thinking how you just wasted your time and money.

I wish you the best of luck. Feel free to PM me if you ever need help or advice (there's still a lot more I can add to this going through the same scenario as you myself).

I will be blunt...if you're getting a 2.44-2.5 in undergraduate level courses, do you honestly think you will be able to handle the demands of PA school (or medical school)? Getting in is the easy part. Maintaining at least a 3.0 while juggling 40+ hrs of lecture (not including study time at home or the library) and then passing your boards are the hard parts.

Perhaps talk to some current PA and medical students to get an idea of our schedules, demands, requirements and difficulties while IN school. Believe it or not, PA schools will cut you loose if you don't maintain a minimum GPA and it's over a 2.44. Think long and hard before you sacrifice a crap ton of money and time to make this work. Every seat in a program is highly valued, so you will have a long road ahead of you.

To be blunt: your application now would meet NONE of the cutoffs for any PA program I know (I've taught at 3 and been on adcoms for 2 very different schools). You'd be in the shred box before you knew it.

If you want this you need to hunker down and do the work. Yes, it will take time...if you aren't willing to put in the effort then move along to something easier.

I see. So what the best plan of action is first, really find it in my heart to do this, because its a long road ahead. And then when I answer that question and still want to continue, I need to first work to raise my GPA. That might take 60-90 units. And then third, I need to work in a paid job in the health care alliance for as many hours as I can. Do I need to work as a paid job? Every school seems to have different requirements for the amount of experience. I was hoping that you guys will know, thanks.

With your academics, you will need high level HCE (paramedic,RN,RT) to offset your poor grades. Problem is, with your current GPA, you aren't competitive for typical allied health programs either. To make this work, you are going to need a solid plan. If I were you, I would focus on getting those grades up to qualify for RN school, ace your RN program and get a few years experience. That would make you the most competitive for PA school and provide a viable fallback should PA school not work out. You're looking at at the very least 5 years before having a legit shot of getting into a program.

Is that for every school that I would need high level of HCE. Every school requires different amounts. I am looking at Western in California, this is what they say:

"Clinical experience, while preferred, is not required"

What does that mean? They do require a minimum of a 2.7. If I can make up some classes, I can easily make that up. I think. What do you think?

Here is the requirement list:

http://prospective.westernu.edu/physician-assistant/requirements

Western has a specific process. You may meet the min GPA to fill a supplemental application but you won't be looked at seriously. Western looks at everyone with a 3.4 GPA first then works down the list offering interviews. Last year they didn't interview anyone below a 3.4 per the admissions department. I know this program very well. Bottom line, do your best and improve your application. You can try to apply to schools with a 2.7 GPA all you want. Speaking from personal experience having applied with a low GPA and raising it from a 2.31 to a 2.93 you're going to have a hard time especially considering each year it's getting more competitive.

Is that for every school that I would need high level of HCE. Every school requires different amounts. I am looking at Western in California, this is what they say:

"Clinical experience, while preferred, is not required"

What does that mean? They do require a minimum of a 2.7. If I can make up some classes, I can easily make that up. I think. What do you think?

Here is the requirement list:

http://prospective.westernu.edu/physician-assistant/requirements

Yes, that's EVERY school. Your academic record as it stands says you aren't ready for PA school. In order to have a school look past this, you're going to need some solid HCE/A level work to convince an adcom you're worth a seat in their program. Meeting a minimum requirement will NOT get you into a program, as I'm sure you're aware how competitive it is to get into PA school. Schools set these minimums so they can look at other compensating factors (high level HCE) to take a chance on a candidate that has less than stellar academics; but has shown a trend of improvement.

Archived