Distance MPAS

hi everybody! i was wondering if it was possible to enroll in the nebraska distance learning program while in the clinical/2nd year. since my school is a cert school, but i already ahve my bachelor's. i would love to be able to finish PA school and get my MS at the same time. any ideas?

~facio

From the UNMC Distance Learning MPAS website:

Must be a graduate of an accredited PA Program and possess a bachelor's degree from an institution of higher learning accredited by the US Department of Education, Office of Postsecondary Education.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hi everybody! i was wondering if it was possible to enroll in the nebraska distance learning program while in the clinical/2nd year. since my school is a cert school, but i already ahve my bachelor's. i would love to be able to finish PA school and get my MS at the same time. any ideas?

~facio

Depending upon where you are going to school you might be able to do St Francis MMS program. YOu complete it during the clinical year of the program.

http://www.francis.edu/Graduate/MMS/MMSaffiliations.shtm

Good luck in your future PA endeavors

Lesh

~facio

In addition to Andersen's reply-you have to be or have been a PA-C also...

After many phonecalls and much pain, I finally got the tuition disbursement released from my employer's deep pockets, and received the course materials from UNMC the other day.

The breakdown-

3 books- ethics, health care policy and writing/publishing a scientific paper

Log materials for clinical hrs and patients

Outline for the thesis

One yr to compete the reading, paper, and 800 clinical hrs....

Plan to have it done well in advance!

E- hows the AZ program?

I am curious, are you working full time during your graduate program?

Yep. The program is set up to work with your clinica;schedule. I log my patient encounters, cases etc as part of thre required 800 hrs. The only outside work is the paper and a few books to read/answer questions on.....

yes he is but he already has his clinicals done from pa school so is just basically taking a yr to write a thesis. the difference between a bs pa program and an ms program is not clinical content but research. the only difference between a certificate program and an ms program is research. all pa programs regardless of degree awarded are taught at the graduate level of intensity.

it is easy to write a thesis while working as opposed to doing clinicals while working. I did the same program about a decade ago and worked full time and finished in a yr.

Guest facio57

thanks for the replies! after writing directly to the program coordinator, she did state that i needed to be a graduate and working. my school is one of the few, however, that is able to receive the MMS from St. Francis. i will probably go that route since i want to graduate with an MS even though it is a few thousand more ...

~facio

yes he is but he already has his clinicals done from pa school so is just basically taking a yr to write a thesis. the difference between a bs pa program and an ms program is not clinical content but research. the only difference between a certificate program and an ms program is research. all pa programs regardless of degree awarded are taught at the graduate level of intensity.

it is easy to write a thesis while working as opposed to doing clinicals while working. I did the same program about a decade ago and worked full time and finished in a yr.

To add...

The "well established" PA program you are in right now... Will grant you a Masters Degree when you finish and pay your bills ($$$$)... icon14.gif

This same "well established" institute of higher learning granted a AAS, BA/BS or Cert the class or two before yours... for the same work with maybe a paper and a "research interpretation" hour thrown in once a week during the last semester...:rolleyes:

Gotta love that "academic integrity"...

A few programs "get it"... so they only charge you the cost (~ 5k) of grading the "publishable research" paper, reviewing your patient log and taking a Ethics class... Then grant you a masters.

Those who realize this can:

1.) Complete PA school for ~ 25k...

2.) Then complete a Masters for another 5k while earning loot...

For your consideration...

Contrarian

1.) Complete PA school for ~ 25k...

2.) Then complete a Masters for another 5k while earning loot...

And I know that I'm getting alot more out of this clinical project than I would by doing this during PA school. The is an opportunity to refine expertise in an area of my practice, rather than a PA school thesis that doesn't build on a well established knowledge base...

• 1 year later...
I did the em focus at nebraska( funded by work) back when the total cost was 1800 dollars. what a deal. learned a lot and got my thesis paper published. glad I did it.
I did the same exact thing. The diploma sits on the wall, and my job hasn't changed one bit, but i'm glad I did it.

I mentioned on anothert thream that I am almost done with the Nebraska program. Two thumbs up. I'm looking to publish a refined version of the paper for JAAPA.

Hopefully others will post who are working on distance programs.......

Congrats man, hope you finish soon. I'm kind of like you from what I can gather. I graduated PA school in 1990 with a BS, and then waited 13 years to get the MPAS at Nebraska. I'm glad I did it though, because there was also some pressure from NP's who all had Masters degrees, that PA's were somehow less educated because most in the earlier days did not have masters degrees. Do you remember those days?

• 1 month later...
Well, it's done. The paper and everything else is in the mail. The tuition check is long since cleared, so the degree is on the way.

Cool experience, I recommend it to anyone out there from a stone age BS/cert program like me......

congrats! a buddy of mine finished this week as well. he's going straight into nova's dhsc....

Need Clarification:

For the Nebraska program, the clinical hours you have log can be earned through my current employment? I know other programs require outside hours from regular employment.

Also I have heard there are no classes with Nebraska just the clinical hours and 1 thesis paper after you read 3 books. Is this info correct?

Any help is greatly appreciated, I'm thinking about transferring distance learning programs.

• 2 weeks later...
what are they looking for from this paper on a clinical interest?

100 pages? reviewing literature? suggesting a hypothesis?

min 15 pages w/ 15 references. I found this hard to do if you are going to cover a topic any sort of depth. Mine was a little over 90 pages and had about 170 references.....

It is a literature review on a clinical topic.

I have been looking at Nebraska and Nova's master's programs and I would like to know if any of you folks have any knowledge of the program at NOVA . I guess more specifically, which is a better program as fas as getting your money's worth and clinical practise. I know that Nebraska is cheaper.

Guest scaphoidfx
Well, it's done. The paper and everything else is in the mail. The tuition check is long since cleared, so the degree is on the way.

Cool experience, I recommend it to anyone out there from a stone age BS/cert program like me......

Yes. Congrats. Will be doing the same program fairly soon.

• 3 years later...
The University of Nebraska (in bold letters) Medical Center and College of Medicine are under that, it goes on to state the degree "Masters of Physician Assistant Studies, This is the main diploma. There is a second certificate given that states "The division of Physician Assistant Education" "University of Nebraska Medical Center certifies that..", this has the degree and specialization,"Masters of Physician Assistant Studies degree" and the specialization - ie Orthopedic Surgery (in my case).

**Thread Ressurection**

Last yr... I convinced a PA-C to do the UNMC program to get a post-grad MPAS.

One of the selling points was the extra piece of paper (certificate) that listed her specialty (Physical Medicine/Pain Management).

She called me today... she was happy to tell me she finally graduated with her MPAS... but only got the MPAS diploma and didn't get the additional certificate listing "Physical Medicine/Pain Management" as her specialty.

She was a bit disappointed because as she explains it... she specifically enrolled in the UNMC program to secure this so that she could have some credibility and credentials testifying to her concentrated education and experience in Pain Management. It was especially important to her to secure this since this state has newly mandated "Pain Management" guidelines implemented in stages from 1 July 2011--> 1 Jan 2012.

Did they stop issuing this additional specialty specific certificate...????

Archived