Distance MPAS

Well, I've finally decided to obtain my MPAS, so I'm looking into the distance programs- mainly Nebraska and AZ. (employer tuition, can't pass it up)

I see that EMED, MrBob, aprillh and others have done it already.

I'll leave this an an open thread to update you all on my progress and ask anyone else to share their distance learning experience.....

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest JDM ER PA
here's a question... I assume you are doing the MPAS to be better "prepared" for the future. Does the master's degree have to be in something PA-associated or can say, an MPH, suffice for a "master's level" educated PA?

G

Kargiver (see I got it right this time ;) )

In my observation of the Master's degree, and the trend to getting one, is that it is encouraged for those that want to become Adjunct lecturers and full time faculty. More so full time faculty, but I have seen some programs only grant lecturing privileges to people with >5 years PA experience or >1 year PA experience with a masters.

I don't think it matters MPH versus MS, and I really haven't researched the difference. I'm pretty sure you can achieve an MPH at Yale right?

So for right now it's a trend that may make someone more marketable in the future. I'll probably start U. Nebraska as it's pretty cheap at $3K so that I can be marketable for faculty positions within the next 5 years. I will later pursue something else as time and funds allow.

Many people have spoken highly of distance learning and it seems to be an accepted method of obtaining the masters degree in our field.

Regardless, a masters in anything should make you more marketable or "prepared" as you say.

G- I'm doing it for 1) future job security- regardless of what they say about us "grandfathering in" and 2) advanced understanding of a particular practice.

I'm going back and forth in my head about whether to focus on something in CT surgery, or broaden my horizons a bit. I'm sure that I will want to do some ER or outpatient work in the future, at a minimum on the side (maybe switch out of FT surg work?) and it would be a nice thing for the CV to have some other areas of knowledge (that are so well documented!).......

It shouldn't matter where the masters focus is as far as I know...

Guest JDM ER PA
I did the em focus at nebraska( funded by work) back when the total cost was 1800 dollars. what a deal. learned a lot and got my thesis paper published. glad I did it.

This is exactly what I'm planning... any suggestions?

Guest pac4hire

I am doing the Nebraska thing now myself, but my hospital is willing to pay 100% for a new program that they talked a university into teching on campus. Its an MBA with Focus in Healthcare Admin....i am seriously thinking about doing it.

I am doing the Nebraska thing now myself, but my hospital is willing to pay 100% for a new program that they talked a university into teching on campus. Its an MBA with Focus in Healthcare Admin....i am seriously thinking about doing it.

do you want to work in hospital admin? endless meetings at odark 30 after working all night at which nothing is ever resolved except a consensus that "there is a problem and we have to deal with it"?

I was associate chief of a community hospital er for 2 yrs and was only too happy when another pa expressed interest in the position.I resigned that day and went back to "just" full time clinical practice.

Guest pac4hire
do you want to work in hospital admin? endless meetings at odark 30 after working all night at which nothing is ever resolved except a consensus that "there is a problem and we have to deal with it"?

I was associate chief of a community hospital er for 2 yrs and was only too happy when another pa expressed interest in the position.I resigned that day and went back to "just" full time clinical practice.

I could see myself in 10-15 years not wanting to practice clinical medecine anymore and just wanting to be admin. I look at it this way, our hospital CEO's bonus last year was more than my SP and my salary combined.. He gets 400K a year in salary and had a 375K bonus last year.....at 55 thats what i wouldnt mind making!

Guest tmarkie
What exactly does the Nebraska degree say on it?

University of Nebraska School of Medicine or University of Nebraska Medical Center?

The University of Nebraska (in bold letters) Medical Center and College of Medicine are under that, it goes on to state the degree "Masters of Physician Assistant Studies, This is the main diploma. There is a second certificate given that states "The division of Physician Assistant Education" "University of Nebraska Medical Center certifies that..", this has the degree and specialization,"Masters of Physician Assistant Studies degree" and the specialization - ie Orthopedic Surgery (in my case).

The University of Nebraska (in bold letters) Medical Center and College of Medicine are under that, it goes on to state the degree "Masters of Physician Assistant Studies, This is the main diploma. There is a second certificate given that states "The division of Physician Assistant Education" "University of Nebraska Medical Center certifies that..", this has the degree and specialization,"Masters of Physician Assistant Studies degree" and the specialization - ie Orthopedic Surgery (in my case).

YUP- kind of a generic masters degree in a leatherette folder in addition to the specialty masters certification.

I only send folks copies of the one that lists the specialty in em when they want copies of degrees.

• 1 month later...
Update- got the $$$$ reimbursement clearance from my employer, one of my surgeons as preceptor, and all the paperwork completed. Mailing it in tomorrow.

Soon I will be master of my domain..............

I really had fun doing this MPAS thing and hope you enjoy becoming a Master PA!:D

Nebraska; cheaper, and I plan to go the clinical track (not leadership/education/forensics etc)....

you won't be disappointed. I did the clinical track as well.

I'm doing the postmasters cert in adv. em/fp through az now just to buff up the cv even more in expectation of specialty credentialing becoming a reality. it's also 80 hrs of cat 1 credit which more than covers the nccpa requirement for the year and it also is my prep course for my next panre next yr.

you won't be disappointed. I did the clinical track as well.

I'm doing the postmasters cert in adv. em/fp through az now just to buff up the cv even more in expectation of specialty credentialing becoming a reality. it's also 80 hrs of cat 1 credit which more than covers the nccpa requirement for the year and it also is my prep course for my next panre next yr.

Read this blurb from the UNMC site, in disbelief:

======================================================

CME Credit

The AAPA has made the following determination: "In the opinion of the AAPA’s Education Council, the Distance Learning Program does not qualify as AAPA Category I CME credit. However, participants of the program may claim Category II CME credit on an hour per hour basis for the following portions of the program: Health Policy, Medical Ethics, Scientific Writing, and the Master's Project."

======================================================

Lame......

• 2 months later...

After many phonecalls and much pain, I finally got the tuition disbursement released from my employer's deep pockets, and received the course materials from UNMC the other day.

The breakdown-

3 books- ethics, health care policy and writing/publishing a scientific paper

Log materials for clinical hrs and patients

Outline for the thesis

One yr to compete the reading, paper, and 800 clinical hrs....

Plan to have it done well in advance!

E- hows the AZ program?

I am in the post masters em/fp cert program right now and am 1/2 way through the 2nd of 4 courses. it's a nice arrangement with good readings and interactive case studies. unfortunately they just lost their cat 1 cme credentialing for this( although like nebraska I can still claim cat 2) and so I will be the last student to complete the program as they will close it after I am done. it will still be open to those seeking a masters but not as a post masters course. there are several other students on the masters track now but I am the only one finishing out the cert. it is essentially a second masters degree for 2400 dollars with a fancy certificate, etc so not a bad deal and certainly a nice addition to the CV.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest facio57

hi everybody! i was wondering if it was possible to enroll in the nebraska distance learning program while in the clinical/2nd year. since my school is a cert school, but i already ahve my bachelor's. i would love to be able to finish PA school and get my MS at the same time. any ideas?

~facio

Archived