How did you decide which schools to apply to?

With so many PA programs, I was just wondering how some of you went about deciding which schools to apply to. Most have exellent PANCE statistics, so I was wondering how did you narrow your choices? I am just at a loss of where to begin. I've looked at the web pages but just do not know where to begin a list of choices. Thank you for any input. I am also not worried about GPA requirements or GRE Scores so just not sure where to begin.

I am very type A, so I started out with a spreadsheet of every PA program. Researching the schools that I would feasibly move to if given an acceptance, I slowly shortened the list down to a list of about 10 or so. The big thing is to realize that a) applying to a ridiculous amount of schools won't necessarily improve your chances of getting into PA school and b) you absolutely HAVE to apply to schools where you meet what the school is looking for. If you have stellar GPA and GRE scores but little to no HCE (healthcare experience), there are schools that you would be an ideal fit for. If you have moderate hard numbers and a lot of HCE, another group of schools rises to the top as the ideal schools for you. I had a list of 10-15 schools that I made sure each prerequisite was completed throughout my undergrad. Luckily many schools have similar or exact requirements, but I made sure to check each box. An example of this is the school that I was recently accepted to wanted an upper level physiology as well as the standard human physiology. With me researching that well ahead of the application cycle, I was able to make sure I fit that course into my undergrad schedule and also made sure I took the course during a semester that I could really dedicate the time necessary to excel in it. With the exception of a few bad apples, almost every PA school in the country will prepare you to become a stellar clinician assuming you put in the time necessary to do well during your PA studies. With that being said, the name of the game is getting that coveted acceptance, so definitely do the research. Hope that helps, and good luck on your journey!

Go to the information sessions if they have one!! It definitely showed me what kind of programs I would fit into and would fit my personality. There are some schools I was very optimistic about and decided not even to apply after information sessions. They are a perfect opportunity for you to tour the facilities, meet some staff, and get EXCITED about applying for the program. Your enthusiasm will show through a lot more in the application if you know what you are enthusiastic about!

I did a lot of what beattie228 said, but started with physicianassistanted.com and only looked at states I was interested in living in. Then I went over the pre-reqs, then I read mission statements and class profiles to get an idea of what they look for beyond pre-reqs. If I was very different or didn't like the program's focus, I didn't apply unless I loved something else about the program. I did make the mistake of applying to a ridiculously large number of schools. That part just made me relax a little, but was a huge waste of money when I got into both of my top choices. I would have gone to info sessions if I had been able to, but location made it impossible for me to go without missing school. I chose not to apply to a program after I realized something on their website was confusing/different on different pages and got a slightly rude e-mail in response. I did like programs where the response was polite and helpful. I chose not to apply to programs that don't use CASPA because I didn't want to bug my recommenders more than I had to (they lived across the country from me so it was all e-mail communication). I also decided to only apply to masters programs.

I did a lot of what beattie228 said, but started with physicianassistanted.com and only looked at states I was interested in living in. Then I went over the pre-reqs, then I read mission statements and class profiles to get an idea of what they look for beyond pre-reqs. If I was very different or didn't like the program's focus, I didn't apply unless I loved something else about the program. I did make the mistake of applying to a ridiculously large number of schools. That part just made me relax a little, but was a huge waste of money when I got into both of my top choices. I would have gone to info sessions if I had been able to, but location made it impossible for me to go without missing school. I chose not to apply to a program after I realized something on their website was confusing/different on different pages and got a slightly rude e-mail in response. I did like programs where the response was polite and helpful. I chose not to apply to programs that don't use CASPA because I didn't want to bug my recommenders more than I had to (they lived across the country from me so it was all e-mail communication). I also decided to only apply to masters programs.

I got around that by using one of those LOR websites (think mine was offered through the GRE people). Your LOR writers can either send in one or complete it online through a special link sent to them (has to be their school email address). You can request it to be confidential (no one but the writer and recipient sees it) or non confidential (you can read it but some say programs dont like that). They kepe them on file for a year or so. Free to set up and request LORs but you have to pay a small fee each time you sent one out but it was worth it.

I bought access to paeaonline (like 35 for the year)...I know there are other free places, but I preferred that one. I narrowed it down by all MS programs since I didnt have enough loans for a BS or AS and added those to my list (spreadsheet). I added all the info about them like location, cost, CASPA vs Non CASPA, if the GRE was required, housing was available so on and so forth. Then I went site to site noting pre-req requirements (if they required something that no one else required, they were taken off the list i.e. OK was the only one that req physics i think) I also noted special things about them like one program has this simulated patient lab, Wisc has a distance learning program, UNE has this unique geriatrics program, UAB/Cornell are surgery focused programs). I also noted HCE requirements and skipped over schools that noted that they rank hce based on the position/certification held or that required a certain type of hce (one program only wants RNs and Paramedics)

From that point I just started deleting based on my personal preferences I deleted based on location because I have to live somewhere that would make me happy because the last thing I wanted was to move away from everyone I know to live somewhere that I hate--unless the program had something amazing about it (thats how I ended up applying to UNE I mean come on ...MAINE from FL...who purposefully does that?!?!). I also deleted programs that I didnt meet the requirements for (i.e. programs that needed you to have pre-reqs completed by xx date or your degree completed by xx date). I deleted many state universities because many give preference to instate candidates.

By the time I was done I narrowed it down to 20, applied to 13 (the others had later deadlines). When my interview invites rolled in, I held off applying to other schools. When I got my first acceptance, I cancelled all other interview invites (kinda wish I hadnt done that cause now Im wondering "what if"). Like sartort I wasted a lot of money. I had the motto "I only want to apply once" so I applied to many and broadly. I also decided I should have a backup incase I failed miserably and applied to 10 entry level MSN programs; didnt finish the application process for most after I got into 3 programs.

I looked at every PA program and narrowed it down to the ones I met the pre-reqs. Then from there I just studied the remaining programs and picked the four that best suited me and applied to those ones. I could have applied to more but the four I chose were the only ones I could see myself attending. It comes down to what type of PA you want to be and what you are looking for in a program. I'm focused in primary care so I chose schools that were more based in primary care. Another thing for me was location. Since I am married my wife had certain parts of the country she wanted to live in so that also narrowed down my choices.

I started looking at all 52 pa programs( it was a while ago) then narrowed it down to ones that allowed for a significant # of em electives and those I had heard directly were excellent programs from folks I worked with. I ended up applying to 2(u.wa/medex and drexel/hahnemann) and attended hahnemann.

I started by narrowing down the states that I would consider living in, then researched the programs from those states individually to see if I met their prerequisites (both academic and HCE). That alone narrowed it down substantially. After, I just read up on the programs that were still on my list, removed all of those that didn't offer a Master's degree, and chose a few that I thought would be reaches to get into, a majority that I thought I had around a 50/50 chance, and a few others that I thought were more so "safety" schools (Note: there are no real safety schools, but there are those which by looking at the average statistics of the incoming class you can gauge your chances of at least getting an interview).

I also made a spreadsheet and included schools in areas I would want to live that I thought were good matches for me based on PANCE pass rates and curriculum. After I applied and got interviews at over half of the schools I finished the applications for, I wished I had taken into more consideration the costs of interviewing and the intricacies of the curriculum. I only attended one interview, in part because it was a perfect match on the first try, and in part because flying to other interviews just wasn't financially possible....meaning if I had gotten in, I would rarely be able to fly home. As far as the curriculum goes, I knew I wanted cadaver dissections, not prosected specimens, multiple elective rotations, and a systems-based curriculum not front-loaded with sciences. Only about 5 of the 13 schools I applied to had that. Would have saved me a lot of money to discover that sooner, but it worked out in the end.

I would add something to consider for applicants who do not fit the traditional PA school demographic. Take a look at the statistics for who gets accepted (age, gender, etc). Also, if they post a picture of the class, do you see any persons who look like you? In the end, it doesn't matter how strong your application may be if the school doesn't accept people like you. Save your time and money. Focus on where you might be welcome.

Not to be rude or anything but Im certainly glad that this advice was never given to me and I even more glad that I wouldnt have been silly enough to listen.

To clarifiy...Im a black female......not many of those floating around programs these days. I applied to UNE, and was the only black person there (out of 50+ people) my interview day (besides 1 professor), even my interviewer mentioned the lack of pigment within the community, but he also asked if it would bother me and pointed out that diversity in the community was growing. I was accepted two days later. This trend seemed to follow just about every school I applied to. Some schools truly care about diversity but they can only work with the applications they receive and its hard to create diversity when people stay away simply because a program doesnt look diverse enough for them.

I would add something to consider for applicants who do not fit the traditional PA school demographic. Take a look at the statistics for who gets accepted (age, gender, etc). Also, if they post a picture of the class, do you see any persons who look like you? In the end, it doesn't matter how strong your application may be if the school doesn't accept people like you. Save your time and money. Focus on where you might be welcome.

What an insensitive thing to say to a future PA school applicant. I certainly hope you don't give that gem of wisdom to your patients as a PA. "Take a look in the waiting room. If you don't see any persons who looks like you, you may be in the wrong place."

I wouldnt automatically conclude that this PA is racist (I brought up my race simply as an example), afterall my program admits 56 people per year and maybe 10% are males so according to that PA, males might want to avoid applying to my program. 80% of each class tends to be in their mid 20's so according to that PA the older generation may want to avoid applying to my program as well. You can see a lot more than just skin color in a picture.....

With that said, it was some pretty silly advice to give...

What an insensitive and downright racist thing to say to a future PA school applicant. I certainly hope you don't give that gem of wisdom to your patients as a PA. "Take a look in the waiting room. If you don't see any persons who looks like you, you may be in the wrong place."

I wouldnt automatically conclude that this PA is racist (I brought up my race simply as an example), afterall my program admits 56 people per year and maybe 10% are males so according to that PA, males might want to avoid applying to my program. 80% of each class tends to be in their mid 20's so according to that PA the older generation may want to avoid applying to my program as well. You can see a lot more than just skin color in a picture.....

With that said, it was some pretty silly advice to give...

Fair enough. I suppose I may have overanalyzed the post, but I agree it isn't very constructive advice.

What an insensitive and downright racist thing to say to a future PA school applicant. I certainly hope you don't give that gem of wisdom to your patients as a PA. "Take a look in the waiting room. If you don't see any persons who looks like you, you may be in the wrong place."

I would give him/her a break. I don't think they were talking about race....assuming.

I can kind of relate. When I was researching schools I actually had the same thought once. I was looking at a picture of a current class and it was (estimating) 80% females in their early to mid 20's and 10% males in their early to mid 20's. The rest didn't look that far from that demographic. I applied anyhow....haven't heard anything from them. I'm 40 years old.

I have heard it said that some programs aren't interested in older students. Maybe, maybe not.

That said, it was just a thought I had at the time. My wife laughed and said I was just being insecure about my age.

I wouldn't tell someone to look at that as a criteria.

Archived