Applying and Getting Into PA Programs

If anyone can help me out, give me helpful documents or advice itd be great....

I have recently graduated from UCI with a B.S. in Biological Science and I am currently working with a team of oncologists and infectious disease physicians as a medical assistant/phlebotomist. Common duties include, but not limited to are: taking and recording vital signs and medical histories, preparing patients for examination, drawing blood and related lab work, authorize drug refills and provide prescription information to pharmacies, and perform general front office tasks when needed. I am planning on applying to dual degree programs to attain my MBA/MPA, so that I can work for both aspects of the healthcare field, both the business side and patient contact side. I am currently working with a Healthcare Administrator as well doing EMR related work as well. My main concern and constant debate is whether my academic background needs strengthening by enrolling in a post-bac program, or if I would be a good applicant to apply straight for PA programs. I want to ultimately attend a good P.A. school and attain that degree. My undergraduate gpa was 2.8, no GRE (yet), and by the time I apply I will have accumulated close to 2000+ HCE hours. I am really confused as to what I should do, I understand I am young but I do not want to waste any time, I want to try and make the best choice I can...Post-bac then apply, apply straight to PA programs, or get a masters/increase gpa and then apply.... IDK! If anyone can help me out thatd be awesome! Thanks

you sound like a smart, hard working person. I am sure there is a logical explanation for your GPA but if you put as much research into school pre reqs as you did in writing your post, you would realize you don't even pass the basic requirements for your application to be looked at for most schools. There are a whole bunch of threads on here about "how do I improve my overall gpa". Perhaps reading some of those will help guide you in your next step.

You'll want to improve your GPA. If you want to do the dual degree program then more power to you although you may want to look at the schools you're targeting's competative info and minimum requirements to see if you have a shot there. If the answer is no then you can always apply to a PA program you'd have a better shot at after you completed a MBA which will count towards you're overall GPA this increasing your 2.8. Another route is to try and get into PA programs now that would consider you with your stats. Touro Mares Island, Touro Nevada, and Riverside Community College would probably consider you for their program and it would be worth taking a shot and applying. If you retake classes that you got less than a "B" and raise you're GPA above a 3.0 then your doors will open up more. Western University also honors grade replacements and you may want to consider them if you're going this route. I hope this information helps you. Best of luck to you!

You'll want to improve your GPA. If you want to do the dual degree program then more power to you although you may want to look at the schools you're targeting's competative info and minimum requirements to see if you have a shot there. If the answer is no then you can always apply to a PA program you'd have a better shot at after you completed a MBA which will count towards you're overall GPA this increasing your 2.8. Another route is to try and get into PA programs now that would consider you with your stats. Touro Mares Island, Touro Nevada, and Riverside Community College would probably consider you for their program and it would be worth taking a shot and applying. If you retake classes that you got less than a "B" and raise you're GPA above a 3.0 then your doors will open up more. Western University also honors grade replacements and you may want to consider them if you're going this route. I hope this information helps you. Best of luck to you!

Thanks for the advice! My brother is currently doing his MPH at Touro in Nevada and its a great school! Would it be wise to obtain my MBA before PA school or the other way around. I don't want admissions officers thinking I kept changing my mind going from a B.S. in bio sci to an MBA back to PA. Also what is the difference between me applying and trying to get into post-bac programs vs. taking them at a nearby CC?

Archived