Worried I won't get in...

I'm getting nervous that I won't be accepted into any PA programs this year. I received my first rejection letter today, and it's really discouraging. Do most applicants who get in received rejections from other schools? Or is this a sign that I'm probably not going to make the cut for most schools?

I had an interview at my number one school a couple weeks ago, and am waiting to hear back. I am preparing for the worst because I feel that I need to have a back up plan in case I don't get in.

I will be graduating in April with my bachelors in Biology. I just have no idea what the best thing to do would be so I can reapply next year if I don't get in this year. Is there anything I can do with just a biology that would increase my chances?

If I don't get in I'm going to retake a couple classes that I didn't get A's in so that my application looks better....

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

There are many, many facets that go into successful matriculation into a PA program. There is no one answer that will make you suddenly become the number 1 pick for all schools. However...IF your GPA is decent (3.5 or so), your personal statement sounds decent, your letters of recommendations sound like your NOT a delinquent...then one of the HIGHLY EFFECTIVE THINGS YOU CAN DO is direct patient care. You may already be doing this but you didn't mention it in your opening statement. I can tell you from experience that a solid history of direct patient care can override a below average GPA (assuming you make the cutoffs) Show the AdComs that you are actually cut out to work with patients..that there is more to you than a studious bookworm who does well on tests.

If that fails...there is always med school. You get 7 years to be educated in dealing with patients instead of 2. It's a more comprehensive, risk adverse, successful method to create proficient health care providers from young people with no previous health care experience.

The rejection letters are definitely disheartening but that doesn't mean that you won't get in somewhere. I have received two rejection letters and two interviews. I also applied to 9 different programs to give myself the best option possible. In the event that I don't get in I will continue to gain experience working as a medical assistant and I will retake my GRE because it was simply average.

• Administrator

Plan on not getting in this year. By that I mean, plan your time now such that you're constantly improving your profile (more HCE, better GPA, etc.) for next PANCE season, since the vast majority of people who apply to one or more PA schools won't be accepted anywhere. That way, if you're wrong, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Always plan as if you're not in a program until you get that acceptance letter. If you don't get in this year it's ok. Try and get feedback from the programs you've been rejected from and improve your application for next time. Although I hope you get in this year and to your #1 school of choice, don't be discouraged if it doesn't happen this year. There are many people out there that it took a few tries to get in. Last year I applied to 8 schools and got 8 rejection letters. This year I applied to 2 schools and already got into a program. I have faith that everything will work itself out in the end for you if you try hard enough and never quit. Best of luck to you!

I have worked as a pharmacy technician for three and a half years and have volunteered at free clinics doing pharmacy tech as well. Although pharm tech is medically related, it's not direct patient care.. Should i continue doing pharm tech, or should I get a certification in something such as STNA?

Thank you for all the responses!

• Administrator

Pharmacy tech experience is viewed differently by different schools. The best--hands down--experience is as an RN, Paramedic, respiratory therapist, or a job with a similar level of both independence and medical decision making ability. I don't think pharmacy tech is all that close, but I'd call it better than research or volunteer patient transport.

If you're going to get a certification, you can go a couple of ways:

* CNA is fast and gives you direct patient care.

* EMT is also short and gives you a lot of responsibility.... if you can find a way to get a job using it after completion.

* Just get some standalone certs. There's nothing to stop you from getting ACLS... even though every code team I'm aware of has a pharmacist (if anything--certainly not a pharm tech) dispatched. It doesn't help with patient care experience, but will be something you can put down on CASPA to show you're preparing to step up to the next level.

(FYI, I applied to PA school as having ACLS and IV training, even though "just" an EMT basic at the time)

Your app gets you the interview, the interview gets you accepted. If you got an interview at your #1 school, then your app must have been good, at least to them. Different schools look for different things, so in my opinion it's just about which school is the best fit for you. Of course you can continue to work on improving your app in case you don't get in. If nothing else, it will open up more schools, and it will show those schools you'll be re-applying to that you didn't just sit around and wait for a year. I don't think that re-taking a class would help you out all that much, unless you got worse than a C in it the first time. It's not going to make much of a dent in your GPA. I'd look at the HCE as others have said, but also look at improving your personal statement, LOR's, volunteer experience, etc. You never know which of those caused the school to reject you.

Not trying to hijack your thread but I am already planning on "not getting in" I will have my last pre req finished this spring semester and I have applied to school and i have a good GPA - About 900 hour in volunteering/observing in many different medical specialties, but i do realize that i do not have the hands on experience and training that alt of the applicants that i am competing against do. So I am starting this January with the classes for my AEMT certification.. and If i do not get in this cycle i am hoping by getting that certification and experience in that filed it will improve my application. Does anyone have any insight on this? Will an AEMT certification improve my chances?

Always plan as if you're not in a program until you get that acceptance letter. If you don't get in this year it's ok. Try and get feedback from the programs you've been rejected from and improve your application for next time. Although I hope you get in this year and to your #1 school of choice, don't be discouraged if it doesn't happen this year. There are many people out there that it took a few tries to get in. Last year I applied to 8 schools and got 8 rejection letters. This year I applied to 2 schools and already got into a program. I have faith that everything will work itself out in the end for you if you try hard enough and never quit. Best of luck to you!

Inspiring; great post. And awesome signature quote.

• 2 months later...
Thanks Timon for the words of encouragement!!!

^^^^THIS!!! Even the most amazing applicant can be denied so always have a contingency. I had 2 backups...I applied to nursing programs to get higher level hce and if I didnt get in, I was going to take more courses (which I already had mapped out) and keep working to accumulate more hce.

^^^^THIS!!! Even the most amazing applicant can be denied so always have a contingency. I had 2 backups...I applied to nursing programs to get higher level hce and if I didnt get in, I was going to take more courses (which I already had mapped out) and keep working to accumulate more hce.

First of all, @timon: you're inspiration for all of us. I'm excited to hear that you've gotten in this year and GOOD LUCK on your PA school adventures.

@mandithatsme: Just like everyone has said, have a backup plan. Rejections sting, but they aren't forever. Come back stronger and you'll get it! That being said, consider EMT. I have been one for four years, and I've had absolutely no regrets. Check on the job possibilities in your area, but I got lucky enough to be a part of the 911 system in Los Angeles County, so I've been rockin' the inner city EMT thing for four years, which is invaluable experience. However, I think no matter what your job is, its invaluable experience in direct patient care. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about licensing, EMT classes, etc.

I don't think there is much rhyme or reason as to why some people get into one school versus another. I've read about many people who seem to be the "perfect" applicant and yet get into schools but not others. I attribute this mostly to the interview. You really have to shine in this aspect. If you don't get in anywher this time, reevaluate your overall application and see where you can improve.

Archived