Locum Opportunities

Hey all! I'm a new grad, just passed my PANCE a week ago! I'm starting the job search and wanted to look into travel/locum tenens positions. I really have no idea how to go about this. I've been doing simple Google searches and have come across a few websites, but not sure which are best to use. Also not entirely too sure how working or obtaining licensing in other states works. After graduation, my school just left us on our own so any help will be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!! 🙂

As a new grad, and me being out over 30 yrs.......... you would benefit greatly from staying in one place for quite a while and getting your feet wet and your skillset honed.

Constant movement could prevent you from developing a true skills base and you will need mentorship.

Building a good mentored first experience will give you what it takes to become a locums whether traveling state to state or in a regional area. Experiencing all the Uh-Ohs and What If's and even licensure and credentialing experiences gives you so much knowledge moving forward and makes you 'Plug and Play'. You will know if admin is doing what they are supposed to at each job or your agency and be more protected.

You seriously will not know what you don't know for at least a year. 

You will need licensure in every state you plan to work in. The DEA thing could get a little tricky and very expensive. 

If any career locums on this forum have other insights to offer, I would love to hear their take as well.

I work with regional travelers for the VA. They go to sites within a specific region (called a VISN in VA world) and have the help of HR/Admin to an extent getting their paperwork done and receive VA benefits. 

Congrats on PANCE. Learn every day. Learn from everyone. Be nice to everyone you work with.

Have fun.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Most locums companies require some experience as you will be expected to jump in on day one at the place of employment and know what you are doing. If a company is willing to send a new grad somewhere, I would exercise some serious caution and most likely NOT work for that company as that is a recipe for disaster and it really takes a couple years to get the hang of things. And so I second the advice above. Find a good first job, gain experience, and then check out locums later if you're still interested. 

• Like 1

+1. Locums users (the ones paying the bill) are paying a premium for your services. They expect you to hit the ground and be productive.

I'd add that many locums positions exist because they are hard jobs or bad jobs which makes them even more challenging. I don't think a new grad should be doing locums work. Before someone says "urgent care" like it is some easy peasy thing anyone can do... no. Its high volume, high stress, and there is always some bad stuff hiding among the snotty noses and UTIs. You need experience to make sure you don't miss one of those.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Envogue said:

Hey all! I'm a new grad, just passed my PANCE a week ago! I'm starting the job search and wanted to look into travel/locum tenens positions. I really have no idea how to go about this. I've been doing simple Google searches and have come across a few websites, but not sure which are best to use. Also not entirely too sure how working or obtaining licensing in other states works. After graduation, my school just left us on our own so any help will be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!! 🙂

What is your pre-PA experience?  What "kind" of locums are you looking for?  ED? Hospitalist?  UC?  Or something else.

I have primarily done locums type work as a PA.  When a hospital/clinic pays for a locums, they expect they will get someone who can be shown where the coffee is, where the bathrooms are, a 10 minute overview of the EMR, and you're on your own.

I get calls/emails every week for locums jobs paying $110/hr for ED/hospitals that are absolute trainwrecks.

Edited by Boatswain2PA

2 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

Agree- don't do locums as a new grad unless it is primary care alongside other providers. anything else would be dangerous at this point.

Depends on what his background is.  I think experienced military +/- paramedics may be able to.  

To the OP - what's your pre-PA background?

• Upvote 1