New Grad Offered VA Assessments Gig, will this pidgeonhole me into this type of work?

I'm a new grad and newly licensed, located in San Diego interested in primary care/family medicine. Been looking for a job for about a month and am struggling to find a place willing to hire new grads. Everyone wants 1-2  years experience minimum. Applied for 60+ jobs, received about 10-15 phone interviews, and 3 follow up video interviews. To date I have received one offer which is conducting VA assessments. Pay is adequate, but my only fear is that given that there is not diagnosing/treating that if I do this for a year or 2 I may be in the same boat with potential future hiring companies claiming I lack the 1-2 year's experience they're looking for as this isn't conventional patient contact - it seems more like an admin/paperwork type gig. Does anyone have experience with this? I am more than willing to try this out, but fear I may be pidgeonholing myself into this type of work. I fear I may not be able to secure employment other than similar gigs in the future. Am I mistaken? Or would 1-2 years experience in VA assessments count as adequate patient contact for family medicine? Any thoughts? 

11 hours ago, holisticpa said:

Does anyone have experience with this? I am more than willing to try this out, but fear I may be pidgeonholing myself into this type of work. I fear I may not be able to secure employment other than similar gigs in the future. Am I mistaken? Any thoughts? 

No, I don't have experience in that field, but yes, I do think it will pigeonhole you. Keep looking for a new-grad-friendly and supportive FM/PC job outside of SD.

• Like 3

I just went through the VA assessment again, wound up with a NP who I indirectly knew who did most of it.  She was also a new grad, and wasn't terribly thrilled about the job.   I've seen the ads for the jobs saying up to $100/hr....but they pay per exam, not per hour.  So be careful assuming they pay what they say they pay.

Anything preventing you from leaving San Diego, or CA in general? 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 2/23/2024 at 11:29 AM, Boatswain2PA said:

I just went through the VA assessment again, wound up with a NP who I indirectly knew who did most of it.  She was also a new grad, and wasn't terribly thrilled about the job.   I've seen the ads for the jobs saying up to $100/hr....but they pay per exam, not per hour.  So be careful assuming they pay what they say they pay.

Anything preventing you from leaving San Diego, or CA in general? 

It's a salary position, but I appreciate the feedback. 

My husband's job is in San Diego. Also, we have a house here... and an infant. I was seeking some stability and trying to stay in the area, however I am now considering relocating for a while until I've got some experience. 

Do you have any recommendations in terms of places to look outside of San Diego or California? Any new-grad friendly gigs worth exploring?

Thank you for the reply!

On 2/23/2024 at 12:41 PM, bike mike said:

Have you considered a residency? 

I have! However, I was trying to stay in the San Diego area and as far as I know, I am not aware of any PA residencies in the area... 

Do you have any recommendations? 

I appreciate the feedback! Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, ventana said:

Is it with the VA or private Co?

if it is VA take it.  

I suspect it is one of the companies that contract with the VA to do assessments. They are always looking for people and the pay, after you factor in the time it takes for the admin work, is marginal at best.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, sas5814 said:

I suspect it is one of the companies that contract with the VA to do assessments. They are always looking for people and the pay, after you factor in the time it takes for the admin work, is marginal at best.

Agreed