More on How We Are Percieved

I want to see a debate on medical knowledge between a new grad NP and a new grad PA and let that be the end of it.

In life there is reality and perception and for most perception = reality. You are talking about reality (who knows the most medicine) and I don't think that alone is going to change the mind set. We need realty + changing perception through proactive and even confrontational responses when reality is distorted. Regarding PA-dom, it is distorted most of the time and up until things like this forum and Clinician 1, there was no "meeting place" for PAs to circle their wagons and respond in force. I do hope that PAFT will fulfill that mission as well.

In life there is reality and perception and for most perception = reality. You are talking about reality (who knows the most medicine) and I don't think that alone is going to change the mind set. We need realty + changing perception through proactive and even confrontational responses when reality is distorted. Regarding PA-dom, it is distorted most of the time and up until things like this forum and Clinician 1, there was no "meeting place" for PAs to circle their wagons and respond in force. I do hope that PAFT will fulfill that mission as well.

Agreed and I hope they do as well. The AAPA has sorely dropped the ball on our profession, unfortunately. I remember a few magazine ads back in 2010 or so during the President's speeches on healthcare reform ... and then that was it. Their lack of action and lack of pro-action has severely imbibed the PA career. Here's to the PAFT!

I want to see a debate on medical knowledge between a new grad NP and a new grad PA and let that be the end of it.

Yeah...let's not. I'd hate to see someone's feelings get hurt.

I am currently precepting an NP student. I cannot put into words how floored I am at the lack of knowledge this student has. Clinical year is all about building upon a medical foundation, getting your hands dirty and applying the medicine you've learned. With this student, there is no medical foundation to build upon. Classes of drugs, how they work, building differentials, suturing, etc. How can you build a differential list if you don't know the clinical findings of common diseases? I don't expect the student to know everything, but for goodness sake give me something to work with.

I am grateful every day of my life that I chose PA!

The AAPA has never received a red cent from me. I'm seriously considering getting involved with PAFT. We need some serious intervention NOW.

I posted the link to PAFT on my school's facebook page. My classmates don't seem very much like the "activist" type, but hopefully a membership or two will come out of it. If nothing else, awareness and exposure is always good.

I cruise around allnurses.com, the NP board a bit, and they have discussions there about some of these topics. Seems a common thread there is about how many dislike the variance between programs and how the rigor of some are inadequate, stuff we already know and discuss here. But there, they don't ***** about how our professional image and advocacy sucks, like we discuss here. In short, we have an image/advocacy program, they have an educational problem.

Something I've become convinced about, is that we should work together between professions to elevate us both. Frankly, we need them more than they need us because they've already got stellar advocacy. That's why I think strengthening alliance between our professions will help us (and them). Thoughts on this?

http://www.pasfortomorrow.us Please join us and get involved. It will take a lot of work and we need members who will fight for PAs. We need students who will be able to bring fresh energy and ideas to the PA profession. We need everyone on this forum to join. Organizations with active members will be successful and PAFT is dedicated to listening to the PAs in the trenches, but please remember EVERYONE needs to do their part. We all have something to contribute, so join, and then let's roll up our sleeves and work together.

I posted the link to PAFT on my school's facebook page. My classmates don't seem very much like the "activist" type, but hopefully a membership or two will come out of it. If nothing else, awareness and exposure is always good.

I cruise around allnurses.com, the NP board a bit, and they have discussions there about some of these topics. Seems a common thread there is about how many dislike the variance between programs and how the rigor of some are inadequate, stuff we already know and discuss here. But there, they don't ***** about how our professional image and advocacy sucks, like we discuss here. In short, we have an image/advocacy program, they have an educational problem.

Something I've become convinced about, is that we should work together between professions to elevate us both. Frankly, we need them more than they need us because they've already got stellar advocacy. That's why I think strengthening alliance between our professions will help us (and them). Thoughts on this?

I think strengthening alliances between the two professions will help us but I am not convinced the NP profession would welcome us with open arms. They have no need for PAs and no motivation to help us. I agree we need them more than they need us. We may be viewed as their competitors if they help us and advocate for us. I do not see the NP profession giving PAs much credit in their articles/advocacy/etc. Why should they? Individual NPs may be "on our side" and see us all as equals, but I am not sure the national NP organizational leaders would be on board. Neither would AAPA be likely to join forces with the NP organizations. Am I wrong?

Just joined PAFT. Very excited about it. Also continuing my membership from student to fellow in AFPPA, since I'm going to be a primary care PA. AFPPA has come out in support of the name change; maybe PAFT can make an alliance there? AFPPA is reaching out to NPs as well, to build the alliances folks are talking about here (so important in primary care). I'm contemplating going from student to fellow in AAPA as well. Not that I'll have time to be active in any of these right now, as I"m a new PA (my job hasn't started yet). But AAPA is still the largest org and I strongly believe we need agitators from within. I know folks have been trying for years to do just that, but maybe as we build PAFT we will have more power to pressure the AAPA in the direction it needs to go, too. We need an inside/outside strategy.

Just joined PAFT. Very excited about it. Also continuing my membership from student to fellow in AFPPA, since I'm going to be a primary care PA. AFPPA has come out in support of the name change; maybe PAFT can make an alliance there? AFPPA is reaching out to NPs as well, to build the alliances folks are talking about here (so important in primary care). I'm contemplating going from student to fellow in AAPA as well. Not that I'll have time to be active in any of these right now, as I"m a new PA (my job hasn't started yet). But AAPA is still the largest org and I strongly believe we need agitators from within. I know folks have been trying for years to do just that, but maybe as we build PAFT we will have more power to pressure the AAPA in the direction it needs to go, too. We need an inside/outside strategy.

Excellent.

Hello I am new to this forum! I am here because I am concerned about what i am seeing in CT state law has been made HR 5515 stating that PAs superb physician has to evaluate their work on paper and is leaving this to the facilities ie:hospital or clinic for example to determine how often

This I find insulting because my hospital is pro nursing and they have decided to make this as often as every 10days other facility's have made it monthly so MDs will not want PAs because it is too much of a bother.

As a result posted jobs have been changed to aprn a multispecialty group manager looked in my face and told me PAs are procedurist and aprn are diagnosticians. I need to know if anything like this is going on in your state. My fear is that nursing is going to push us out of a job

It always comes back to this.... but this is another reason why we need a name change. It's easy for others to misrepresent our profession when we don't even represent ourselves properly. We walk around with a giant target on our backs then play damage control every time someone snipes us.

Whatever powers that may happen upon this post please, please fix the damn name.

Whatever powers that may happen upon this post please, please fix the damn name.

No doubt... when I tell people that I am working toward becoming a PA, they often confuse it with "Medical Assistant" and have a hard time understanding when I explain the difference.

Is there actually any significant effort being made out there to re-name the profession?

Archived