"Elitist" PA's

This is more of a post about blowing off some steam, and not a problem I need help solving with, especially since there are plenty of folks here who have legitimate issues that I truly feel bad about. So, if you will allow me the space to do so...

I've come to accept the idea that there have been and always will be elitist physicians in the medical world, and let it just roll off my back.

I cannot, however, accept the notion of an elitist PA.

Due to circumstances within our healthcare network which I won't go into detail about (mostly to protect the guilty), I have finally encountered such an individual, and I must admit it's jarring as hell. They are the only PA in this group with the rest being physicians, and in the past they has seemingly gotten away with outright disrespect and condescending attitude to nurses and even attendings in other specialties (such as ours). My initial experience with this person was them referring to me as the "physician's assistant" (As in, "Isn't that right, physician's assistant????"), to which I replied only with a stunned look on my face as they walked away. On the next encounter, a mutual colleague tried to introduce us, with them simply responding "Oh, we've already met"- which was met with me sticking out my hand anyway, trying to keep professional and actually introduce myself properly. And as I've inquired around about this person, I'm barraged with a flood of stories from nurses, physicians and other PA's (and our one and only very lovely and wonderful NP) about their past history. And as it is with anyone with an underlying personality disorder, there's no changing it, and they're likely not going anywhere.

I don't get why it twerks me so. Maybe because out of the > 20 PA's (and one NP) in our group, each and every one of them are hard-working, nice, sociable and humble people. Maybe my sample size for meeting other PA's was actually smaller than I thought (which seems strange, considering how many different PA's I've met in my time in this profession). Or maybe I just finally got that one merit badge for "Find the *****bag" that the rest of you more experienced folks have no doubt earned long ago. For whatever reason, I don't like it. And while there's nothing I can do about it other than write some strange rant on the forum for you all to peruse, I still don't have to like it. But I will certainly still be the more professional one.....and document any and every instance that goes wrong and make sure it finds its way to the right people.

We interviewed a guy last year with an ego the size of the Death Star and I was like you - I just couldn't believe it. I mean, he's a fellow PA COLLEAGUE, right??? He hadn't even been hired and he was already making statements about how our practice was going to have to change to accommodate HIM - he would need his own 2 rooms and MA blah blah blah...

Anyway, we always interview people by committee and thank goodness enough of us said "no way could we work with him" and thankfully he didn't get the job. I'm sure he's out saving the world somewhere...

Oh, they are out there. At an urgent care clinic I worked at many eons ago, there was a PA who worked there with prior ortho experience who thought he was the next best thing to God. He got annoyed with pt's taking off their splints when they weren't supposed to, so he tried to make it policy that all splints would be made as permanent splints so the patients could not take them off. Even as a lowly MA I knew this was an idiotic thing to do, & refused to follow these orders. Some of our MA's fresh out of school blindly followed though, & it wasn't long before at least one lawsuit resulted. One patient had a non-removable splint put on, came in for f/u's on 2 different occasions, one with an NP & one with a different PA, & neither removed the splint as part of the visit & treated it as a cast. When the time came that someone finally attempted to take it off, the patients skin had grown into the splint material & the patient required skin grafts to repair it. Yes, it was a cascading set of events where more than one person was at fault, but it all stemmed from the arrogance of one higher than thou PA. Luckily every other PA I've ever worked with was a much better representative of the profession.

hey I think I worked with that PA in the past.... seriously - as we grow there is going to be wierdo's and the like that are PA's

Heck if you don't need them as a referral source tell them what you think - in a very professional nice way

Mr _________ I realize that you are an experienced PA but you poop still does stink and you and I are far more similar then you think...... blahh blahh blahh

confront it head on and tell him is not doing justice to the profession.....

Wow! Why hide their identities? By naming them respectfully is ok. Other wise they will never change (they won't) But they give us a negative appearance. Through the name out there with no refenence and move on. They should not be kept in the shadows!!!

• 3 weeks later...

You nailed it with the dx of personality disorder..... and dealing with those people are enough to make you run screaming from the room! Luckily I've only met two PAs that meet this criteria but that was more than enough. feel free to vent as much as you want.... you have my empathy!

And as it is with anyone with an underlying personality disorder, there's no changing it, and they're likely not going anywhere..

Archived