"Do you think PAs and NPs are in competition with each other?"

As I prepare for upcoming interviews, I keep stumbling over this question.

Based upon what I know of the PA scope of practice and NPs (based on this chart), there is relatively little difference in what they do in my state.

My gut response is that no, PAs and NPs are not in competition with each other because they work as a team of coworkers. They have different educational and training backgrounds, but commonly work collaboratively.

Thoughts? Ideas?

pa's and np's often compete for the same jobs. NP's keep "upping the ante" to tilt the game in their favor by mandating first a masters degree(which the pa's have followed) and more recently a doctorate(which we have not....yet....).

to be a member of the team first you need to get the job. until you are on the team other pa's and np's will be trying to make themselves look as good as possible to employers while you do the same. this is what is behind the "credential creep" listed above as well as CAQ's, "merit badge courses" like acls, atls, pals, etc

However, PAs success does not hinge on the failure of NPs.

really depends on the local market. some hospitals "only hire np's" , doctors without borders uses np's but not pa's, etc so a pa in that market will need to look elsewhere.

there are pro-np and pro-pa states, hospitals, and practices.

really depends on the local market. some hospitals "only hire np's" , doctors without borders uses np's but not pa's, etc so a pa in that market will need to look elsewhere.

there are pro-np and pro-pa states, hospitals, and practices.

My point is that the PA profession, as a whole, does not hinge on the downfall of NPs. PAs and NPs would go farther if they lobbied together, instead of against each other. There are plenty of patients to go around. Individually, we are all in competition for jobs, technically speaking.

Could toss some spin and say something like "the recent Supreme Court ruling this past June gave a solid push to the Affordable Care Act which will increase newly insured patients by an estimated 14 million people. This is happening at the same time as the Baby Boomers are retiring. It is estimated that over 10,000 people a day are turning 65 and that number is expected to hold for the next 19 years. Given those shear numbers of patients and given the (here is the cheeezee) prestige of this program, I have little concern of competition but rather look forward to working hand in hand with my colleagues from all wings of the medical paradigm as we will need all the help we can get."

Could toss some spin and say something like "the recent Supreme Court ruling this past June gave a solid push to the Affordable Care Act which will increase newly insured patients by an estimated 14 million people. This is happening at the same time as the Baby Boomers are retiring. It is estimated that over 10,000 people a day are turning 65 and that number is expected to hold for the next 19 years. Given those shear numbers of patients and given the (here is the cheeezee) prestige of this program, I have little concern of competition but rather look forward to working hand in hand with my colleagues from all wings of the medical paradigm as we will need all the help we can get."

Yoink! It's mine now! Muahaha!

Archived