job stability in the PA world

To practicing PA's out there I have a question about job/career stability, esp. the older practicing PA's (I.E. 15+ years practicing),

how has your job stability been, recently and in the past?

any long stretches of unemployment, letting gos, firings for arbitrary reason etc?

thank you for the insight!

for senior pa's there is more work out there than you want. I get cold called to cover shifts regularly. I could work 16 hrs/day, every day if I had the desire to( I don't).

I have been continuously employed since getting my first job and generally have 2-3 jobs at any given time. once you are a known entity in a community you can work pretty much anywhere you want that uses pa's(in hospitals) if you work on it long enough.

bottom line: as an experienced pa you will always have a job. it just takes a few years to reach that point, generally at least 5 in the same specialty.

I was "let go" last week from arelatively new position due to "can't afford to pay me". This was the first time in my life. I have been a PA for 26 years. That said, there are plenty of positions out there for PAs. I am just going to pick and choose this time and definitely not full time. I have been working since I am 15. I have a sign in my den that reads "Please help me not to be so busy making a living...I forget to make a life". I am going to try this time.

lots of jobs that want to pay 80-100k for Primary care as a highly exp PA - not many for the more fair 120k+

as a highly exp PA I function EXACTLY like a doc, and bring in the same $$ to the practice - yet instead of a doc's 160-200k they want to pay me 80-100k which is unacceptable..... hence starting my own practice.... in my exp they want you to make about $50k for the practice above what a doc would (cause we are assistants) yet pay you $50kless.....

having said that, I leave my jobs when they don't want to pay (or in two cases where the level of medical care was substandard and i was scared for my license)

starting my own practice as I am tired of being a production center for someone else....

for senior pa's there is more work out there than you want. I get cold called to cover shifts regularly. I could work 16 hrs/day, every day if I had the desire to( I don't).

I have been continuously employed since getting my first job and generally have 2-3 jobs at any given time. once you are a known entity in a community you can work pretty much anywhere you want that uses pa's(in hospitals) if you work on it long enough.

bottom line: as an experienced pa you will always have a job. it just takes a few years to reach that point, generally at least 5 in the same specialty.

Yeah..or the recruiters who cold call you AT WORK asking if you are looking for another job....

That seems to be happening with a much greater frequency nowadays.........It's really bad when your physician colleagues are standing right there.

As I've moved through my years of practice ,it's apparent that experienced competent PAs can find work anywhere. That being said,there are plenty of jobs that I wouldn't take for a lot more money than offered.During the years as my kids finished college, the mortgage payments end, time with my family is of greater importance, I ask myself why do I or would I put up with the madness of multiple jobs and or a high stress position? BTW I passed my PARNE last month, which means I'll be retired after 30 years PA practice before I'm due to retest!

Agree with CAdams. I've been a PA only 8 years and it is a second career. My first 5 - 6 years were spent working 2-3 jobs, locums ER and Urgent Care, plus a full time job with benefits....and many other jobs available thru my locum service. After 6 years and getting the kids through college, and paying for 2 weddings it was time to settle on one job only. Life is more enjoyable and less stressful. I will take my next recert in 2016 and it will be my last one before retirement.

There should be plenty of jobs available for PAs and hopefully we will expand our scope/practice rights with the on-coming health care changes.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi IM new to this forum,I been a PA for about 7 going on 8 years I work in a Hospital in Philadelphia, I wont mention which but I will say my job is definitely not secure, recently they decided to hire Hospitalist that is doctors from an agency and they plan to eventually replace us. they dont have a full staff of Hospitalist yet, but when they do they plan on using them and medical interns. I don't care what the profession says about a doctor shortage, because there are way too many medical students especially from other countries that become doctors and get jobs Its really worrying me, I also worry that if I find another job, Im 45 years old,they can easily hire a younger new grad train them and pay them less and get rid of me to save money

I think this is the sad state of affairs that the times we live in

• Administrator
Yeah..or the recruiters who cold call you AT WORK asking if you are looking for another job....

That seems to be happening with a much greater frequency nowadays.........It's really bad when your physician colleagues are standing right there.

I struggle to find a downside to this. But then, I come from tech, where talent poaching is known and not taken personally in most cases.

I worked for the same agency for 25 yrs and retired and now do locums and consulting when I'm in the mood,which is becoming less and less. I never worried about the job going away and stayed for the golden retirement plan. The pay was a little less but I was able to retire in my mid 50s.

Archived