Veryfing "Special OPS Training" in applicants

I am seeing a number of potential new hires list on their app things such as:

"SEAL Training"

"Ranger Qualified"

" CIA operative"

you name it..

So specifically does anyone know of a legal way to verify these things. I did called a person's prior govt employer and they told me that they could not "verify or comfrim.

Thanks for any hints,

Dog

"SEAL Training"

"Ranger Qualified"

" CIA operative"

you name it..

So specifically does anyone know of a legal way to verify these things. I did called a person's prior govt employer and they told me that they could not "verify or comfrim.

Thanks for any hints,

Dog

You could ask to see a copy of their DD214. It won't tell you everything, but it will give you a better idea.

If they were Army, there should be plenty of documents to back everything up.

No idea about the CIA stuff.

"SEAL Training"

"Ranger Qualified"

" CIA operative"

you name it..

So specifically does anyone know of a legal way to verify these things. I did called a person's prior govt employer and they told me that they could not "verify or confirm.

Thanks for any hints

Dog

What difference does it make unless your position requires Spec Op skills? Those who served in SPEC Ops don't talk about it and those who did this are known to the community. Yes the DD-214is a good place to start ask for evaluations and school transcripts too.

every training course I went through in the USAF gave me certificate

Ask to see DD214

Ask to see certificates of complete of training - might not have every one but surely should have some

if they look at you dumb founded with the DD214 then they are not your person

as for CIA - no idea - but gotta believe they get some type of course complete certs like any other gov't agency

then the informal - start talking the lingo and see what they do....

DD 214

Training certificates

In the Air Force we had on the job training records. And we also had the Community College of the Air Force. A CCAF transcript would help verify any formal training that was also accepted by them; common examples would be the Pararescue training of a PJ which includes paramedic certification.

• Administrator

I'll go one better: If anyone tries to put something on their job application that you can't independently verify through the issuing agency, they get round-filed. Fakes are everywhere, the real guys know this, and I wouldn't expect that REAL SF operators would need to be handing out CV's looking for jobs.

As former military myself, with a considerable amount of combat time, special operations training, and having worked with guys in the SOCOM/MARSOC community, I can tell you that it is an unfortunate reality these days that A LOT of cowardly, lying, scumbags like to put that stuff on their applications when they have never done any of it. So IMO, hiring a CLINICIAN who LIES about his military service could prove to be a major issue for an employer. If I were hiring, and I saw someone claiming "SEAL training," which is BS by the way (none of the operators I know would EVER list "SEAL training" as a term on an official application, and probably wouldn't list anything) ... I would insist on seeing a DD214, at a minimum. Or you could contact someone who has been verified as a former/current SOCOM/MARSOC operator and ask them to help you verify if they'd be willing. Either way, I wouldn't let it slide.

As former military myself, with a considerable amount of combat time, special operations training, and having worked with guys in the SOCOM/MARSOC community, I can tell you that it is an unfortunate reality these days that A LOT of cowardly, lying, scumbags like to put that stuff on their applications when they have never done any of it. So IMO, hiring a CLINICIAN who LIES about his military service could prove to be a major issue for an employer. If I were hiring, and I saw someone claiming "SEAL training," which is BS by the way (none of the operators I know would EVER list "SEAL training" as a term on an official application, and probably wouldn't list anything) ... I would insist on seeing a DD214, at a minimum. Or you could contact someone who has been verified as a former/current SOCOM/MARSOC operator and ask them to help you verify if they'd be willing. Either way, I wouldn't let it slide.

Exactly my point. Could not said it any better. Our practice is very close to a number of large military bases so we do see a higher number of military applicants. As a veteran myself I value and will give "extra points" to veterans and active military who want to join our practice and I will give credit where the credit is due but since I was never special ops myself ( I was just a grunt corpsman) so I have no real knowledge how to verify these things. I do appreciate everyones help and I will incorporate your ideas as we move forward with future applicants.

Miguel A Pineiro, PA-C

a-k-a Dog

Exactly my point. Could not said it any better. Our practice is very close to a number of large military bases so we do see a higher number of military applicants. As a veteran myself I value and will give "extra points" to veterans and active military who want to join our practice and I will give credit where the credit is due but since I was never special ops myself ( I was just a grunt corpsman) so I have no real knowledge how to verify these things. I do appreciate everyones help and I will incorporate your ideas as we move forward with future applicants.

Miguel A Pineiro, PA-C

a-k-a Dog

Hi,

I was a grunt corpsman too. If you want to check for special ops then dd214 is the first one to check. It does not tell you if that individual was seal or not but it listed all the special courses he went. Thanks for supporting our vets.

Thanks for any hints,

Dog

Go to SOCNET, register, introduce yourself, be polite and ask for a verification.

You will likely be asked why YOU need the info, just be candid and explain as you did here.

They have the actual rosters of EVERY "BUDS" class all the way back to UDT.

They can usually verify within a day or three for ANY US military SO unit for all branches (Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines).

They take PerSec and OpSec seriously so the answer will likely be as simple as, "Yes Dick Bonecrusher did complete the Q-Course" or "No Joe Snuffy appears in the rosters of ever completing BUDS"

Good Luck.

Hi,

I was a grunt corpsman too. If you want to check for special ops then dd214 is the first one to check. It does not tell you if that individual was seal or not but it listed all the special courses he went. Thanks for supporting our vets.

Me too. I was a corpsman who completed FMF and was stationed with the Marines (2nd Recon Battalion). I've never listed that on a CV and it honestly wouldn't even occur to me to do that. I wasn't a PA when I was in the Navy, so I'm not sure what relevance it would even have to my career today. I think I listed under military experience, "US Navy Corpsman" and my dates of service...the other details aren't important....

Crazy that you get that many people lying about that. Why? Kinda like lying about your marathon time or something. It makes no sense.

Go to SOCNET, register, introduce yourself, be polite and ask for a verification.

You will likely be asked why YOU need the info, just be candid and explain as you did here.

They have the actual rosters of EVERY "BUDS" class all the way back to UDT.

They can usually verify within a day or three for ANY US military SO unit for all branches (Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines).

They take PerSec and OpSec seriously so the answer will likely be as simple as, "Yes Dick Bonecrusher did complete the Q-Course" or "No Joe Snuffy appears in the rosters of ever completing BUDS"

Good Luck.

HOLLY CRAP! That's crazy... guess nothing is really "secret" anymore.. Thanks for the info..

D

you really must think you are the only person that keeps up on politics. because you had no idea that huffington post was complaining about how paul ryan "lied" when he mentioned what he thought he remembered his time to be was actually faster than what an olympian would run it. anyway, enough with the politics, right physasst?

you didnt read this?:

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/31/credibility/

cmon, its your friend paul... paul krugman?.... im sure you read it.

I know Paul Krugman from the econoblogosphere, and we've been cordial to each other, but I don't know if I would call him a good "friend"......Actually, I remember the entire story about Ryan lying about his marathon time, but to be completely honest, that wasn't what prompted my statement, I was thinking about a nurse here at work who lied about his time at Grandma's Marathon in Duluth, until one of his fellow nurses who did the same race ratted him out. It fits nicely though....:)

Where have I ever claimed to be the only person that keeps up with politics? That's a crazy statement. As far as Ryan's statement, since you brought it up...it was no honest mistake, it was a flat out lie...and I'm not going to make it political.....

As someone who has completed 3 Olympic triathlons, and 1 half marathon....you don't EVER, EVER forget your best times. They are seared into your brain along with the pain, suffering, blood, and sweat that you poured into the training and onto the course. You will always remember your best time down to the second. I don't buy for one second that ANY public figure (non political or political) would so grossly mis-state their time unless they were doing so deliberately.

I'm sure any other PA here, and there are many that have done a lot more than me, like EMED, would also say the same thing.

I'm sure any other PA here, and there are many that have done a lot more than me, like EMED, would also say the same thing.

YUP, I know my best half marathon, full marathon, 50 miler, and 100 miler times to the second. they aren't the world's best times but they are my best times and each one represents a special memory for me.

YUP, I know my best half marathon, full marathon, 50 miler, and 100 miler times to the second. they aren't the world's best times but they are my best times and each one represents a special memory for me.

Yep, but back to the OP. As a former service member, I simply don't understand lying about it. It's easy to check out, and I'm not sure what advantage it gives you as a PA or PA student.

see how easy it is to visualize the marathon time discrepency? yet explaining away plagarism (biden) and deciept for profit when trying to jazz up a book (obama) is so much harder. lets hear your best hypothetical explanation of that phsyasst....

You are the one trying to make this one political. The site ownership has decreed that they do not wish that here. I will not oblige you here. If you wish to debate politics. Please feel free to visit. http://www.angrybearblog.com

It's ranked one of the top 25 economics blogs on the web by both the WSJ and CNN/Time. I am a contributing author and one of the "Bears", and I function as a health policy/health economics author and content expert. I will not engage in that discussion here, as the mods have been quite clear on this in the past.

which is why the most likely explanation for the "lie" was that it was an oversight.

but i guesse i need to back off because physasst was backed into a corner, and now needs to exit. i thought we were talking about honesty, but phsyasst used the P-word just in the nick of time, and that gets folks banned.

Not backed into any corner. I talk about this stuff all day long. I would love to engage you in a political debate..nice try though. You were the one that brought up Ryan...and then Biden and Obama...not I. Come visit the other site. Or come on roadbikereview.com We have a political forum there, and I am there all the time (moderator).......There is some great discussion and debate there. We just won't do it here.

Archived