Veryfing "Special OPS Training" in applicants

which is why the most likely explanation for the "lie" was that it was an oversight.

many folks who run sub 3's go to olympic trials....either he is totally clueless( a possibility) or he was tryingto make himself look good. Not that big a deal, really. Just can't imagine making that mistake. that's kind of like "I climbed everest a few years ago" when they really climbed mt whitney(half the height).

Fair enough. Politics aside, completing a marathon for most folks is a significant life event. Less than 1%( 0.13% IN THE LINK BELOW) of the american population ever does it. Even the folks i know who only did one and hated it still know what their time was.

http://askville.amazon.com/percentage-Americans-run-marathon-life/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=15442237

1.6% OF MARATHON FINISHERS HAVE A TIME BELOW 3 HRS(NOT COUNTING THOSE WHO START AND DROP OUT):

http://www.marathonguide.com/features/Articles/2005RecapOverview.cfm

OK, BACK TO THE ORIGINAL DISCUSSION....

One hundred milers are really more about persistence than anything else. My hundred miler actually seemed more relaxed than my first marathon. I knew I could finish the 100 if I just kept going because in training I was running 25- 30 miles every saturday and then working an overnight shift for months leading up to it.. I didn't know that when I started my first marathon because I had never run anything close to 26 miles before. my longest practice run was 18 before my first marathon. if you can convince yourself to start and not to stop until you are done a 100 it doesn't really matter what your time is as long as you make the cutoff. The hard part is convincing yourself to stay awake for 30+ hrs and to eat 6 days worth of calories in 1 day.they give you these giant rodeo style belt buckles at the finish. my wife told me in no uncertain terms that I shouldn't wear mine in public becuase it makes me look "like a redneck..." so I wear my 50 miler buckle instead which is 1/3 the size.

buckle.gif

post-1479-137934851357_thumb.gif

post-1479-137934851357_thumb.jpg

A significant life event? Birth of a child, death of a loved one, marathon I ran, person I married, first person i saved. Guess its in the eye of the beholder. Not knocking it, just saying that I've never prioritized things that way. 300+ thousand people might not all think as one on that as well. But I am impressed by you guys that run 100 milers.

things that take me outside of my comfort zone are memorable(maybe it's just me):

1st( and later best) marathon, 1st class 5 rapid, 1st glaciated peak climbed, 1st solo cardiac arrest run, etc

ANY marathon finish is good enough to brag about....don't care if it's 2:30 or 6:30. you finished. I finished a 6:30

running/walking on a broken toe a few yrs ago. wasn't proud of the time but was proud that I finished....I pretty much had to, my car was parked at the finish line and they bussed us to the start. it was a trail marathon and I kicked a rock hard enough to break a toe and hear it break at mile 13. the last 13 miles was not fun. the entire dorsum of my foot was black and blue for a week after that.

Archived