Well the journey is not over but only a bump in the road. I am reminded of Langston Hughes " A Dreams Deffered" I ponder the words and know that even if I got rejected for this year, I know next year I will achieve my dream. So class of 2016!

Go with confidence and soar you are, we are on a journey to do great things!

See you guys soon the best is yet to come!

Hadassah:;)):

What happens to a dream deferred?

Does it dry up

like a raisin in the sun?

Or fester like a sore--

And then run?

Does it stink like rotten meat?

Or crust and sugar over--

like a syrupy sweet?

Maybe it just sags

like a heavy load.

Or does it explode?

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love the poem Hadassah....looks like I will be in the same boat and may have to wait another year. Was a real blow to my ego and made me re-evaluate whether I wanted to really do this. Now I am more optomistic and feel better that this is only a slight hiccup :-)

To Hadassah and Yoel32: I wish you both well for the upcoming cycle. Remain positive and strong! Go for your dream and you will make it!! Best of Luck.

Any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. We are willing to help in anyway we can. Again, Best of luck!

Hey guys!

Since I live in Brooklyn, I was not at all thinking of housing options, as I was planning on staying home and commute the 1h30mns by trains daily. Today, I spoke to a former student who shared with me that the commute was very tough for her as sometimes classes finished late and other times she'd be stuck at the library for late hours. She said that within 2 months into the program, she moved into an apartment across from the school.

Now I start to wonder if I would have to do something similar. For those accepted and have to commute far, what are your plans?

Any current or past students willing to comment on this please!!?? We'd appreciate your input. Thank you :)

TJL

i will also do the same as omeleni, i have 3 yr old daughter who i can't live without, so i have to commute and will use the time on the train for studying. Does anyone know about parking in the area? I have a car and would love to drive there but i don't know if it's worth it. If it's not to expensive than maybe i can consider it if it will save me time, however gas is another issue but maybe i can carpool with other students in the area.

omeleni and hype21: awwww, so sweet. Kudos to you guys who have kids and family!! It's absolutely ideal to stay home in such cases.

I too had plans to use the commute as study time but my friend almost convinced me to just move around there as it would make things much easier.

That's great some us will commute, because we can walk to the train stations together after class. @hype21: I never like to drive into the city because it's so crowded, traffic and hard to find parking but I am not sure how it is around the school, carpool would be a good idea. Hopefully others will also comment on this to give us an idea.

And by the way: I am so super duper excited. Today, I officially tendered my resignation with almost one month notice. Now I eagerly wait for July to meet you all and begin the marathon lol.

Thanks tjl2012 for the encouraging words.

To Hadassah and Yoel32: I wish you both well for the upcoming cycle. Remain positive and strong! Go for your dream and you will make it!! Best of Luck.

Any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. We are willing to help in anyway we can. Again, Best of luck!

Hi! I believe that we have to do something of that sort. But I haven't gotten any further information besides the acceptance letter. I had called to ensure that my deposit was received, and now I just wait to hear from them again!

Hi tjl

do we have to do anything befor we go to the orientation, like medical examination. Have u received detail information about the orientation?

Thank u!

askme1234: they have not sent any more information and will not until the class is finally decided. They will then send more information about orientation and about any more requirements that are needed. As far as medical examination it is my understanding through former students that the school do their own medical examinations and immunizations. They will give you an appointment to take care of all this but every student is different, some students can be scheduled before classes or some during classes.

askme1234 congratulations on your acceptance!

P.S.> Please join our facebook page for class of 2016! Omeleni and askme1234 this is our link https://www.facebook.com/groups/164119933756150/

Well, i personaly think that housing is too expensive if i were in your shoes i would see if i can find students from citycollege who are interested in sharing an appartment or you can also look for rooms for rent near harlem through craigslist. But, becareful because you cant can't trust anybody in craigslist be accompanied by someone.

i will also do the same as omeleni, i have 3 yr old daughter who i can't live without, so i have to commute and will use the time on the train for studying. Does anyone know about parking in the area? I have a car and would love to drive there but i don't know if it's worth it. If it's not to expensive than maybe i can consider it if it will save me time, however gas is another issue but maybe i can carpool with other students in the area.

hype21, you can try to drive, but as i understand, the most valuable thing during the program will be studying time. Driving will take you same amount of time as a subway commute, plus stress, plus gas and parking problems ( I,m sure that we can not be late for classes) I would suggest to try couple times before semester starts and get the feel for it. I have a car also, but would be more relax on the train with a coffee and a book.

you're right omeleni. Driving will be stressful, expensive, and this is without taking into account the traffic of any given day; There could be days where traffic can impede you from being in class on-time and wasting valuable time for studying. The train is the better choice, but the only reason why i was considering driving is because i know there will be days when spending all day in school including hours into the afternoon (studying in the library), the first thing i'm gonna want to do is be home as quick as possible and not sit on that train for an hour+, however a sacrifice must be made somewhere! Let the stressful days begin! :=-0:

I'll be commuting from queens that's at least 2 hours or more because I have to take the bus too. I'm going to try commuting but if things don't go well i will have to find a place around the area to stay. Also, tjl I think the brunch is a great idea let me know when you all are going to do this. It will be nice to meet you all before hand :smile:

Hey Guys! How's everyone doing? We are getting much closer to the big day "Day 1 of PA school/Orientation/dinner"... On a countdown and exactly 1 month away!

Ok... During the past couple of days, I revisited the option of moving to a place much closer to Campus and avoid the long commute. Although I've noticed here that many of you have decided to commute, I seriously think it'll make my life much easier if I could live just down the block for those 28.5 months lol. So with that being said, By any chance, are there any of my soon-to-be classmates looking to stay near campus? anyone looking for a roommate? I'm desperately searching for room availability walking-distance to the campus. Please let me know if anything. Thanks.

Enjoy the free time left y'all!!! :)

TJL

• 2 weeks later...

hey i got an email for the orientation but there was only limited information. It doesn't have a dress code however i think it's self-explanatory. I just keep wondering about that 3 day retreat, i wonder what its all about. Anyone got more information? and does anyone have problems with financial aid?

Hey all. The class of 2015 got our official invite to the orientation dinner. We will all be there, as will the class of 2014. The day of the dinner falls on the official 1 yr anniversary from our dinner. It's crazy to realize a whole year has gone by since my fellow classmates & I started on this crazy intense journey.

Hype21, you need to dress formally. Have any family members that come with you also dress up. It is a formal event. You don't want to be judged because someone that you brought with you was wearing cut off shorts & flip flops. You won't get any info about the retreat until a few wks before the retreat. The main point of it is to help bond you & your fellow classmates together.

Congratulations to everyone in the upcoming class of 2016. My name is Ashley and I'm in the class with ya costa , graduating class of. 2015. Just a few words of advice as you get closer to the day of excitement- July 9th. I remember it like it was yesterday . Dress professionally and be prepared to dress professionally every day. I was shocked to learn that no jeans, no open toe shoes, no tank tops etc. I guess I figured it would be just like college once classes started but nope! Professional clothes everyday! Also, be prepared to be told over and over and over and over and over about how hard and overwhelming the program can be. Don't be discouraged by this, instead every time you hear this "advice" just remember you we're chosen and if you are here, you can do it. It's been done before and you are not the first and won't be the last. Also, be prepared to adapt, you might be a paper and pen person only but in order to do well, you will need to try an iPad or you might be a laptop lover but now for Garvey you need that textbook daily in class. Be willing to change your study habits if they are not working. Finally, most of us realized in spring and summer that we needed an iPad, the paper load because overwhelming , and having an iPad kept all notes accessible , all textbooks accessible and searchable and organized. I wish someone would have told me this when I started . I ended up getting mine in spring and i am in love. I know it's expensive, but I got the iPad mini and it was less then the full . There are also other cheaper tablets , like google tablets etc. trust me. You will need a smart phone where you can have constant access to your emails from faculty and professors , your schedule for the day which changes frequently, and internet to look up things when you get asked in class! Finally, do not feel the need to compete with classmates, the people you meet on July 9th , may not seem like what you were expecting but trust the process, if pa faculty picked them, they can teach you something. Don't let anyone's skin color, pretty face, accent, prior medical experience, prior academic experience , FOOL YOU. Everyone in this program is brilliant in their own way and if you give everyone in you class, they will teach YOU something and make you a better Pa. Avoid cliques and try to get to know everyone. You will be together a long time. Share with your class. The competition is over, you're here: the goal is for everyone to graduate . It's not like science classes where you look to your left and right and some people will be here and some people won't. Or the goal is to do better the class average. The goal is to get above 70, no matter how smart you are, you will fail at times so just keep going. If you are strong Ina topic, help your classmates. You will have a weakness and want their help later. First impressions are hard to forget so make a good one! See you guys soon! Congratulations once again!!

@hype, and everyone else who's willing to read these long posts lol:

You can commute and be ok. I come from queens in the train and actually get. A lot of studying done on the train. It is annoying to wake up earlier and if yore running late it's stressful but I planned ahead for that most days. I get to school way before the people who live closer . It's a matter of what works for you.

Try not to be in a rush to get home, it will stress you out. There are people like that in my class too and I find that they are always annoyed when we have to stay for a meeting, or when a class extends past the 5:00 pm. Just go with the flow of the class, and try to adapt to the curveballs . The days are long and you will be tires by the end of the day. But the day has just begun, and now its time to study and read after class. You will find that it's hard to have plans during pa school but try not to let that discourage you. The key word is : adapt and adapt and adapt and when you think you have adapted, adapt again, keep adapting. Resisting the change makes this a painful process. Example, classes have to extend past the time , your class reps want to have a meeting last minute but you have a doctors appointment, a classmate needs help with something and you have to catch a train, I could go on and on about all the unpredictable things that come up but you won't remember lol. Just remember adapt. Next thing you know you'll be looking back and giving the class of 2017 advice!

Question to class 2015: I like to use iPad for textbooks, so it is allowed to use iPad during the class for textbooks. From my experience, I know a lot of professor who do not allow iPad usage for textbook.

thank you guys for your advice. This helps a lot.

Archived