2021-2022 Application Cycle

Hi everyone👋 I'm Liz, I'll be starting this fall and I'm looking forward to meeting my future classmates 😊. I'm casually browsing apartments... its crazy expensive waiting on the FASFA letting soon. Hope everyone is doing well and those on the wait list or haven't got in yet don't give up! 

• Like 1

Hi everyone!! 

Congrats to all who also got in!! SO EXCITED! 

For those who didn't get in or are still waiting, don't give up! It's just very competitive!

I saw the first year student's post - we're waiting for the roommate list & facebook group. But until then, a couple of questions (I feel like I have so much I need to do, but I'm still waiting to get instructions but don't want to get behind!) -

1) Did you do anything other than apply for FAFSA for obtaining financial assistance? The whole process is semi-new to me, so I didn't know if I needed to do anything else in addition to maximize the potential benefit. 

2) Anyone know anything about where to house in Oakland? Is it best to have a roommate(s) due to higher rent prices? I don't know anything about the Oakland area! Any insight will be helpful 🙂

Thank you!!  

14 minutes ago, OnTheWayToPA2 said:

Hi everyone!! 

Congrats to all who also got in!! SO EXCITED! 

For those who didn't get in or are still waiting, don't give up! It's just very competitive!

I saw the first year student's post - we're waiting for the roommate list & facebook group. But until then, a couple of questions (I feel like I have so much I need to do, but I'm still waiting to get instructions but don't want to get behind!) -

1) Did you do anything other than apply for FAFSA for obtaining financial assistance? The whole process is semi-new to me, so I didn't know if I needed to do anything else in addition to maximize the potential benefit. 

2) Anyone know anything about where to house in Oakland? Is it best to have a roommate(s) due to higher rent prices? I don't know anything about the Oakland area! Any insight will be helpful 🙂

Thank you!!  

FAFSA process was super new to me too so no worries! All I did was apply for aid and then the financial office reached out to me with the awards this month. I then scheduled a counseling session with the financial office to just go over everything before accepting the award. Super helpful for me and definitely recommend if you’re lost like me 😂

Regarding housing, I haven’t been to Oakland in a couple years but have tons of family there. Some of the better areas near campus they told me were Berkeley, Lake Merritt, and Emeryville. And then 15 mins out Richmond and San Leandro. I’m sure there are other places but those are the areas they told me to look into. Hope this helps! 😊

1 hour ago, mikaelam said:

FAFSA process was super new to me too so no worries! All I did was apply for aid and then the financial office reached out to me with the awards this month. I then scheduled a counseling session with the financial office to just go over everything before accepting the award. Super helpful for me and definitely recommend if you’re lost like me 😂

Regarding housing, I haven’t been to Oakland in a couple years but have tons of family there. Some of the better areas near campus they told me were Berkeley, Lake Merritt, and Emeryville. And then 15 mins out Richmond and San Leandro. I’m sure there are other places but those are the areas they told me to look into. Hope this helps! 😊

Did you have to complete the MPN and entrance counseling, or just the FAFSA form? I have a session scheduled with the counselor for tomorrow to discuss what I need to be doing. 

Super helpful, thank you! Are those areas close to Samuel Merritt? I have to consider commute, especially with these crazy gas prices! 🙂

3 hours ago, mikaelam said:

This was super helpful for me too, Thank you.  I'm still waiting on my Fasfa offer and I'll be sure to scheduled an appointment with a counselor. How did you make the appointment is there an email or number when you received the Fasfa?

2 hours ago, OnTheWayToPA2 said:

Did you have to complete the MPN and entrance counseling, or just the FAFSA form? I have a session scheduled with the counselor for tomorrow to discuss what I need to be doing. 

Super helpful, thank you! Are those areas close to Samuel Merritt? I have to consider commute, especially with these crazy gas prices! 🙂

I just did the FAFSA form and then once I received my aid I did the entrance counseling and MPN. I’m sure you could do them before you receive the aid, but I just waited. 
@LizEllie here’s the website to make the counseling appointment https://www.samuelmerritt.edu/admission/affording-smu/financial-aid-and-scholarships — Christina Gray is the counselor for the PA program.

And then in regards to the areas near Oakland, they’re all fairly close (I too am trying to stay within 15-20 mins due to gas prices and to just reduce car maintenance). But there’s also public transportation which is great in the bay! The BART is super convenient and I’m pretty sure there’s a stop right near campus as well!

14 hours ago, Amb912 said:

Does anyone know if we need to do the drug screen or is that only before clinicals? And do we have to send in any transcripts or are the ones from caspa acceptable? I'm so confused haha

No drug screen required. You only need to send in updated transcripts if you had in-progress prerequisites at the time of submitting your CASPA. Hope that helps. 🙂

3 hours ago, xtina said:

No drug screen required. You only need to send in updated transcripts if you had in-progress prerequisites at the time of submitting your CASPA. Hope that helps. 🙂

Nice to know. I thought I had to send all transcripts. Have you all completed your immunizations? 

22 minutes ago, Utnek said:

Nice to know. I thought I had to send all transcripts. Have you all completed your immunizations? 

Yup, my health screen is completed! 🙂 If anyone is also curious because it's on the page to submit, you do not actually need a physical lol

3 hours ago, xtina said:

Yup, my health screen is completed! 🙂 If anyone is also curious because it's on the page to submit, you do not actually need a physical lol

Oh really?? What are they looking for for instead? And do we likely not need that color vision test either?

3 hours ago, vboura said:

Oh really?? What are they looking for for instead? And do we likely not need that color vision test either?

Nothing! And no color vision test! I just didn't enter a date for any of those and I was cleared. When you go to upload the documents, there isn't an option to select for a physical or color vision test either. I think some programs may require it but ours doesn't. 

• Thanks 1

Hello everyone, the Facebook group has been made. This is an unofficial group as we know some of you accepted are still making your decisions. Please only join if you are accepted and considering SMU in the fall. Please feel free to ask any questions as current students will also be in this group. The roommate spreadsheet will be added later today. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4963061003783112

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Hi there! I am currently #2 on the waitlist and curious of the steps I should potentially be preparing for. Did those previously (now accepted) on the waitlist apply for the FASFA before getting accepted or did you wait until you received an official offer?

Additionally is there a $$ deposit to claim your seat, and how much is it ?

Thanks again and so excited for those that have been accepted! 

1 hour ago, Kenzie07 said:

Hi there! I am currently #2 on the waitlist and curious of the steps I should potentially be preparing for. Did those previously (now accepted) on the waitlist apply for the FASFA before getting accepted or did you wait until you received an official offer?

Additionally is there a $$ deposit to claim your seat, and how much is it ?

Thanks again and so excited for those that have been accepted! 

I filled out the FASFA ahead of time, but you don’t have to. & it’s 350 for the deposit. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, Current 1st year at SMU and just wanted to let you know that the final roster won't be set until those accepted have made their final school decisions and have paid their seat deposits (probably around June/July). This means if you are still on the wait-list there is still a possibility of admittance, the lastest someone was admitted into our cohort was a week or two prior to the official first day of classes in the fall. You just never know what may happen so there is still a chance! Best of luck!

Edited by BSMUPA