HOD 2021 Saturday thread

9 hours ago, rev ronin said:

Apparently the outcome of the reference committee is a recommendation to remain physician assistants for another year.

Why?

Was this to give time for MCP to gain traction??? (this is the only viable reason I see)

I can only speculate but this process seems to be driven by the "afraid" crowd. We need more data. We need more time. Something bad might happen. What if????? What if????

The best description I have heard of the profession based on the title change discussion is neurotic.

• Upvote 2

I think its a good idea, to wait long periods of time.  Not to keep up with the NP's, because it obviously doesn't, but to really sit back, and form committee after committee on how to keep PA's relevant in todays medical environment.  

Administrators only look at one thing- the bottom line.  They don't care about patient outcomes, except as a line on a spreadsheet; they only care about money coming in and money going out.  I knew an administrator who walked around to check on office space, and anyone occupying an office that could be used for patient care was moved out (except for his, of course).

I think its a very very good idea to sit back and rest.   We can look for a spot on the shelf next to beta max, the cd-rom, the cassette tape.  Because if we don't find a way to market ourselves as a viable option, then the people hiring us won't care.

Take this example:

NP: "Hi, I'm an NP.  I'm ready to work!"

Admin: "Ok...what can you do now?"

NP: "What do you mean?  I'm ready to go!  I can start seeing patients as soon as you hire me!  And I cost less than an MD!"

Admin: "Hot Dog!  Here you go!"

Versus this example:

PA: "Hi, I'm a PA!  I'm ready to work!"

Admin: "Perfect!  We have assistants working in the OR already, I know all about them!  Sit right here, and I'll start filling your schedule!"

PA: "Hold on a minute, tiger.  Who's my CP?  You know, the guy who I fill out the paperwork to send to the state medical board...I can't work until I send it in.  Some states have this OTP, where..."

Admin: "Ok, stop there, I'm a busy guy.  Well, we asked Dr. S, he didn't want to have his name attached to an assistant; Dr. J, he thinks PA's are excellent, but he's leaving in two days; Dr. B said sure, but he's out of the office three days a week, and we need you more than that."

PA: "No, they just need to be available electronically."

Admin: "Well, ok, how long does that take?"

Pa:  "As long as it takes!  I can just shadow someone until it comes back!"

Admin, dreams of pina coladas on his vacation disappearing; "Err, ok...Dr. S, she's an NP, she started yesterday. "

PA: "Ok, I also need these scope of practice forms, which list out the things I can do, like order certain meds, and..."

Admin: "You know what, I think I hear my phone ringing.  Write me an email."

The long and short of my story is more and more, I hate the assistant part.  I don't care what it changes to, it doesn't reflect what I do.  I hate searching for jobs and seeing "medical assistant" come up.  It also needs to change, yesterday.  

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1