Questions - Sexual Assault Forensic Examiner Training (SAFE) for PAs?

Is there equivalent SAFE training for PAs as SANE training for nurses?

If not, does our collaborating physician need to be trained in sexual assault exams, in order for us to perform them?

After hours of internet searching, I have only found that PAs can perform them, but no specifics on requirements. 

Some years ago I took training to do sexual assault exams in the ER. It was a didactic part followed by a day in the classroom and then you had to be proctored by another certified examiner for 10 exams. That was a while back so the expiration date on that information may have passed.

Whether your SP would have to be similarly certified would probably vary state to state so your state society would be your best choice to get accurate info.

• Upvote 1

I have read a fair amount

appears MEN are not preferred but this is likely an old bias

PA are not preferred but are eligible

https://www.safeta.org/page/OperationalIssSAFE

I do not think the SP would need to be SANE/SAFE certified as this is training for evidence collection and MD/DO can do assualt exams.... but that is just my opinion 

but being a male PA I stopped looking into this when I realized there were to many negatives to me doing it outside my control

I took a SANE course and have volunteered for years at my local women’s shelter doing SAFE in the ED. The course didn’t teach me anything I didn’t know already about doing a physical exam, but it did teach me the local laws/specific legal exam requirements and got me comfortable with the specific instruments. Also good networking as we had lectures by cops and lawyers, who I have worked with ever since.  I am covered by my work SP, who doesn’t do them himself, but is supportive and worked hard to get me on board there (in the past they’d only used MDs and RNs. 

Also, I am a woman and most of these patients appreciate a female provider. Yes, some patients are male, and some patients are abused by a woman, but often even they would rather be seen by a woman. 

• Upvote 1

I am active duty Navy, but I am also a Sexual Assault Medical Forensic Examiner (SAMFE). It is the military equivalent of a SANE. I am actually the medical and program manager at my overseas MTF, and I oversee a team of 9 SAMFE providers (7 RNs, 1 NP and myself).

I have seen some job posts for PAs with this background, and I don't see why you wouldn't legally be able to provide this service in the civilian world.

My training was two weeks in San Antonio, TX. 1 week didactic, 1 week clinical.

EDIT: I work in the ER, and don't have a collaborating physician on paper, and even so, there are no other ER providers who are on the team, so no need for me to have a CP who is also a SAMFE

Edited by vb315

I am actually active duty military as wel, which is where I got my first exposure to this protocol about 15 years ago (I would hesitate to call it “training”, as it was right before we deployed and it consisted of pointing out where we kept our kits and advising us to read the enclosed packet if we had time). When we got back from the desert, I looked into additional training and that’s how I ended up volunteering with local shelters.

Good to hear the military now has a more extensive training program. 

• 2 weeks later...