Changing subspecialties

I’m a PA with 12 years of experience in orthopedic surgery. I’m interested in making a change and getting into dermatology for a better lifestyle and a comparable salary. Ideally I’d like to get into a an aesthetics practice including fillers, Botox, laser treatments, etc.  I live in south Florida and there is no shortage of this type of practice but everyone seems to want experience.

I see that there are various training courses for this type of thing that can be anywhere from 1 day to 2 weeks in length and are on the expensive side.  

I’m looking for advice on what training I can proactively do to make myself as marketable as possible for this type of job. 

Im also curious if my idea of cosmetic derm is actually an improvement over my current salary/situation in Florida.  In my mind I will certainly take a pay cut in the beginning but will be earning more money than I make now on my second or subsequent years with a similar lifestyle.

I currently make 120K and work M-F, no nights, no weekends. 22 days PTO (sick days and CME days come out of this) plus 7 holidays, no CME allowance but after you pay you can submit receipts and hope for reimbursement, licensure and certification fees reimbursed with receipt, no malpractice (sovereign immunity in existing job), 403-b with matching to a certain amount, partial healthcare coverage, and short term disability insurance. 

This was lengthy... I appreciate any advice or feedback.

-K

I think if it's the right job with the right compensation package, you could absolutely see an improvement in your salary. Are you willing to relocate to find a less competitive market to get experience in? What I've found is that if you are willing to relocate, then you can get experience which would make you much more of a competitive applicant down the road in the area you really want to live. I took a job in a less desirable area and plan to move to a nicer area in a few years.  

Archived