KrystalB

Changing subspecialties

I’m a PA with 12 years of experience in orthopedic surgery. I’m interested in making a change and getting into dermatology for a better lifestyle and a comparable salary. Ideally I’d like to get into a an aesthetics practice including fillers, Botox, laser treatments, etc.  I live in south Florida and there is no shortage of this type of practice but everyone seems to want experience.

I see that there are various training courses for this type of thing that can be anywhere from 1 day to 2 weeks in length and are on the expensive side.  

I’m looking for advice on what training I can proactively do to make myself as marketable as possible for this type of job. 

Im also curious if my idea of cosmetic derm is actually an improvement over my current salary/situation in Florida.  In my mind I will certainly take a pay cut in the beginning but will be earning more money than I make now on my second or subsequent years with a similar lifestyle.

I currently make 120K and work M-F, no nights, no weekends. 22 days PTO (sick days and CME days come out of this) plus 7 holidays, no CME allowance but after you pay you can submit receipts and hope for reimbursement, licensure and certification fees reimbursed with receipt, no malpractice (sovereign immunity in existing job), 403-b with matching to a certain amount, partial healthcare coverage, and short term disability insurance. 

This was lengthy... I appreciate any advice or feedback.

-K

I think if it's the right job with the right compensation package, you could absolutely see an improvement in your salary. Are you willing to relocate to find a less competitive market to get experience in? What I've found is that if you are willing to relocate, then you can get experience which would make you much more of a competitive applicant down the road in the area you really want to live. I took a job in a less desirable area and plan to move to a nicer area in a few years.  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By ShaquelPA
      Hello I'm new to this website and forum but I have a plan to continue my education to become a Physician Assistant specializing in Dermatology. I wanted to hear from PAs or students who are in the minority specially the African/black community. I am a 24yr old Female, Jamaican-american. I plan on applying to a PA program here in Florida in the next 4 years, and was hoping to get some more information and advice please!!
      I will be attending an accelerated program (5-6months) to be a Medical Assistant (Sept.- Feb. 2020).
      After I am licensed in MA, I would like to reapply to UCF for my biomedical sciences degree. Where I can get in my hours for healthcare experience as an MA and finish my bachelors before applying to PA school.
      I have just a few concerns:
      1. Is becoming a MA worth it before PA school? or worth the money to go to school for?  I'm worried because most companies here are looking for bilingual MAs. I do want to learn another language preferably Spanish, but later on while I get my B.S in Biomed (Also I do not want to be CNA or RN).
      2. Is a biomedical science degree more looked at to enter a PA program? Which degree/major is also acceptable if I decide not to go the science route but I make sure I take my required science classes? 
      3. As a minority do we have an advantage or disadvantage to enter a PA school? 
      4. Does anyone have experience as a PA student either at NOVA or Barry University? If so, how are the professors and the overall work load?  
      5. After becoming a PA, do we experience racism throughout the country in our profession? (Regardless if we do or not, no one is going to stop me from doing my job correctly, I will treat every race with respect. I would just like to know because I'm curious since again there is not many of us as PAs.)
      6. How was the job search for you as a minority? How long did it take to land a job in your specialization?
      7. Are there any forums or websites to find a black PA to shadow? or if anyone can refer me in central to south Florida locations?
      8. I am highly interested in this career but want to know if this profession is worth committing to and seeking a job for in the years of 2024-2028? I know that's a stretch time but I like to be prepared lol 
      Thank you for your time!! 
    • By mamoht
      New grad here currently considering taking my first job at an urgent care clinic. The goal is for me to act as a solo provider at a new rural location to be opened in the coming months (with an off-site supervising physician.. the specifics of who I should contact depending on when a question/concern comes up are to be discussed and I plan to have them included in my contract in writing.) It has already been discussed that I would have at least 4 weeks of one-on-one training with a supervising physician at the existing clinic, where there are always at least two providers working, before beginning independent work at the new location. 
      I know all new grads experience some hesitation and nervousness about their first job, even WITH colleagues on-site for questions and I can appreciate that these feelings are in fact healthy and will keep me working hard to continue expanding my knowledge and improving my skills. I also know how important receiving sufficient training at your first PA position is, essentially building the foundation for the rest of your career. My question to you: when you started your first position (whether it was urgent care or something else - it would be helpful if you specify), what kind of training did you receive and for how long, and did you feel like it adequately prepared you for independent practice? 
    • By Sunkist77
      Any derm PA's out there who work at Kaiser, Sutter, CA Skin Institute, Berman, or other larger corporations? I'm working in private practice now and have a lot of flexibility with my schedule which is nice, but not the kind of benefits and salary I think I could potentially have at the other. Could you share your experience as far as schedule, salary and/or benefits? And, if you've worked both private and/or corporate, which do you prefer and why? Thank you!
    • By Clockwatching
      Hello everyone! I had recently posted about a derm offer, but I got another offer at a different practice/state and would love some thoughts on this one. 

Salary: 36 hour work week, Training salary for 4 months at a rate of 75K, and then 80K with bonus of 10% for collections exceeding 60K for a 3 month period that will be paid quarterly. 
      Time off: 2 weeks PTO, 1 week of sick time, 2 days for CME and 2 personal days along with 7 paid holidays. 
      Malpractice covered. 50% of tail coverage if I stay with practice for 2 years. 
      CME: 1K
      Health insurance plan: 280/mo towards it
      401K: allowed to enroll after 1 year
      Restrictive covenant for 7.5 miles 
      State: Pennsylvania, outside philly 

Counters that I’m thinking: 
      - I’m okay with the training period salary but will counter with 90K w/ 10% collections
      - 5 days for CME 
      - Tail coverage required now
      - CME 2K
      - I need to get more info on the health insurance aspect. 
      I really really like the Physician and she has a great plan for how to train/incorporate me into the practice. I feel like it would be a great opportunity but I also want to ensure I’m making the right decision realistically. 
      I would love any input from you guys! Thank you! 
    • By Alojamora
      Hi everyone!
      3 years in Derm. 
      Right now : 
      1. Part time pay $57.50 an hour no benefits except 401k he’s putting in 3%. Only PA in solo practice. One time bonus in December of $1,500. Pays for all CME activities no cap, but does not pay accommodations or other expenses. 
      2. Work 20-25 hours a week. I tally about 60 patients a week and sometimes less. 
      3. I Do some cosmetics 
      4. I was offered productivity based salary at first, had no Derm experience but I declined because I was brand new to practice. Worked IM 3 years before starting. 

offered 
      same base salary : part time hourly $57.50
      productivity: net Collections first year 3%, 2nd year 4% and 3rd year 5%  above 200k. Reports quarterly but collected and calculated from Whole practice 
       30% in cosmetic procedures 
      Same benefits as above 
      Any thoughts?

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More