HB442 PA Modernization - Louisiana (and NP FPA HB 495)

So yesterday the LA HOD passed legislation to approve NP FPA in the great state or Louzziana. I watched and was honestly surprised that it passed. Now the bill is off to the LA Senate. 

LAPA played the game pretty smart in my humble opinion: they placed HB442 back on the calendar to be debated today 5/6/2021. Basically they let the NP bill get debated, questions answered (horribly by the State Reps authoring the bill) and passed prior to the final presentation of the PA modernization bill. In essence, what's good for the goose etc etc.  Yesterday's session is available to view here: https://www.house.louisiana.gov/H_Video/VideoArchivePlayer?v=house/2021/may/0505_21_Day15_2021RS . The NP Bill  (HB 495) debate starts at timestamp 2:49:50 . Very interesting to watch if you guys have some time.

Back to the PA bill. Here's what is stands to accomplish:

image.png.9dc16cae9a3fe5238f4e9c66abfc332c.png

The full bill can be read here: https://www.legis.la.gov/legis/ViewDocument.aspx?d=1218613 

Edited by WakadanPA
clarifying info
  • Upvote 1

Interesting. Very tactical thinking to let the NPs take the heavy fire and then come in later. I hope it works because that would be a huge improvement to your practice act. Keep us posted and if there is something us non-Louisinaians can do let us know.

• Like 1

Of course, leave it to our wonderful legislative body in this backwards a$$ state to vote 39 to 39. The bill did NOT pass. I hate this state. The NP bill passed 61 to 40. Again I hate this state, I hate the money that is involved with paying to get legislation passed and I absolutely HATE the good-ol-boy politics.

I worked with the current director of the LA medical board and his sidekick , who both presented testimony neither in support nor opposition. (Yeah right, they both opposed in so many words.) They are friends and both MDs with ties to a family medicine residency program. One of them is a doctor for Rep. R. Carter (who voted nay). Where is the conflict of interest?!?!?

Get assistant out of our name!!! This is killing us.  I doubt there would have been so many dumb, excuse me... unorthodox, questions from our mainly high school educated legislative body if our name rhymed with nurse practitioner.

Ok rant over.

Any advice on what I can do. I am thinking of penning a letter to the speaker of the house that Rep Carter's  vote should be stricken due to clear and obvious conflict of interest.

• Sad 1

I feel your pain. Texas is the same. The legislature is full of physicians and the medical society, the medical board, and the legislature is completely inbred.

If there is any hope..and it is unlikely...it will be in an official remedy of some kind. You can make a conflict of interest argument but I doubt you'll get much traction unless the speaker has an axe to grind with Rep Carter. If they are in the same party save your ink.

You need an official rule or regulation that has been violated. Some point of order or something real and official and, even then, you probably won't get far unless it garners some attention with the press or voters or something similar. 

Sorry to be a buzzkill. Most of these fights are only won over time.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, WakadanPA said:

Any advice on what I can do. I am thinking of penning a letter to the speaker of the house that Rep Carter's  vote should be stricken due to clear and obvious conflict of interest.

Bad news for LA PAs is the bill didn't pass.  Good news is it was only by one vote.  Best advice I can give you is to target the Reps who opposed the bill with your next advocacy campaign. Will you get all of them to see reconsider...obviously not.  But you only need one.

I strongly recommend against contacting leadership about your conflict of interest concern.  First of all you will be picking a fight you an't possibly win.  Second all it will do is piss off the Rep and you will lose any hope of convincing him to see things your way in the future.

• Thanks 1