If I already had Covid, should I still get the vaccine?

I wasn't sure in which section I should ask this question. I am not a PA yet, but it seems like the professional PA section is where I would get the most educated responses. I scribe for a geriatrician at nursing homes, so this month, we will have the opportunity to get the COVID vaccine. The physician I work with gave me the option to get the vaccine, but I am not sure if I even need it since I already had COVID, thus am already immune. His response was that we do not know the level of antibodies that are needed to be immune from the virus and that we do not know how long those antibodies last. Personally, I feel nervous being the first in line to get the vaccine and a bit selfish to get the vaccine first when I am most likely immune from the virus at this point. At the same time, the COVID vaccine might be mandated eventually so why wait? 

What are your thoughts? 

I also want to add that I am in my 20s and am healthy, so I am not part of the vulnerable population. I was also asymptomatic when I had COVID so it did not affect me at all. 

Edited by eluch15

15 minutes ago, TheFatMan said:

Immunity isn't guaranteed after infection and there are many case reports of double infection. In my opinion getting the vaccine will still be beneficial for you and your high risk patients. 

Agree- I have a friend who is young and healthy(under 30) and got it twice in a 6 month period. There are six strains floating around at this point and it is believed the vaccine is effective against all of them while a prior infection may only protect you against the strain you previously had. 

• Like 1

• Administrator

So, the antibodies going away isn't necessarily a bad thing, as long as the memory cells are intact.  Also, because of how the vaccine works, the vaccine might just provide BETTER immunity than wild type infection.  I recommend ZDoggMD 12/4 podcast/show with Dr. Paul Offit going over how things are working so far.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, rev ronin said:

So, the antibodies going away isn't necessarily a bad thing, as long as the memory cells are intact.  Also, because of how the vaccine works, the vaccine might just provide BETTER immunity than wild type infection.  I recommend ZDoggMD 12/4 podcast/show with Dr. Paul Offit going over how things are working so far.

I second the recommendation to listen to that.

• Upvote 1