Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'salary negotiation'.
Found 2 results
Hello! I am currently awaiting a hard copy of a verbal offer given for a general surgery position. One of my preceptors told me to ask for a higher salary no matter what the original offer was. As a new grad, I am unsure how to go about asking for a higher salary. I was wondering if anyone had any general advice on how to approach this situation. Thank you!
Hello, In salary negotiations, do you specifically give a salary expectation and salary history or wait for them to give you an offer? I am a PA who has 8 (almost 9!) years of experience in Emergency Medicine, limited CT surgery, and most recently, upper extremity Ortho and Hand. I have had 2 interviews and shadowed with a private ENT/allergy practice with 8 ENTs who are very interested in hiring a PA (not NP..yay!) for the first time. They want someone who has experience with procedures, rounding in hospital, seeing consults, but not necessarily for OR, which is fine with me. They offer autonomy after the training period...which would be awesome. There are some wrinkles to iron out, however, they seem to have a good idea of what they want their new PA to do, etc. They even want to send me to the ENT for PA conference in April to get acquainted. Overall, I'm ready to take the job....BUT...we haven't discussed salary yet. They emailed me to say they are very interested and asked for my salary history and salary requirements. I'm hesitant to share with them my history because currently, I feel somewhat underpaid for my years of experience with my current practice (in my 5th year of ortho, 8.5yrs total as a PA). Here are my stats: I make 93k full time and I got a $2500 bonus. I haven't had an increase since Jan of 2014 and my doc has been dragging his feet for any increase at all, despite telling be I do great and he wouldn't know what to do without me. I have given him salary reports, asked for a 7% increase (to cover the last 3yrs), etc, which I think is still on the low side. I'm just not his priority and I have been looking to get out for a year now...I just came back from Maternity leave. We are still in limbo despite HR and myself approaching him about the issue. This specific job sounds great. I want at least 100k, plus bonus. I don't think that is unreasonable, given the reimbursement for ENT, my years experience, etc. I feel that if I tell them what I currently make, they will not want to offer a lot more than that. Any thoughts!? Sorry so long!